Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:41 pm 

Thanks for the egg tip. I'll try that for sure! Nothing I've tried so far works.
Picked up some more steamed shrimp today for the big game. I'm getting addicted. I like that fresh fish place on Sky Mountain Blvd in NMB. Forget the name of it now. Begins with a P. Also got some crawfish, which I've never tried before. Stopped by East Bay Deli just to check it out. Very busy. Everything on the menu looked good. Or was I just hungry. We got close to 12 inches of snow in Plymouth. This made me very happy!
......later

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:52 pm 

My right instep, or more precisely the outside edge of my right instep, is bothering me when I put weight on it, keeping me confined to the condo unit. No big thing today because of the weather. And the Super Bowl. Don't like it when I can't be active. But, rest seems to help so that's what I'm doing today. This comes and goes every so often. The heels of my shoes wear first on the outside. I think that's caused by supination. I need to get some inserts, or more supportive shoes.
I'm still picking the Panthers, but the speed rush abilities of Denver's two defensive ends will have to be neutralized. I'm thinking if Newton can have some early success running, or a couple of successful screen passes to slow them down a bit. We shall see.
Anyone concerned about flooding with all this rain? I'm guessing flood insurance is pretty expensive here, if available at all. Do the banks require flood insurance for home owners with an outstanding mortgagee I wonder. I thought I read some place that Myrtle Beach is 35 feet above sea level.
Stopped at Denny's on the way back from the five o'clock service at Our Lady Star of the Sea yesterday afternoon. I haven't been to a Denny's ever. We don't have any back home. I had a new menu item called the Chicken something Melt. Not bad for a chain, I was surprised. Our Lady Star of the Sea seats 1,650. Every seat was taken. Next week maybe I'll try the eight.
Ok, time to check out the pre game hype.
........later

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 pm 

Instep feeling better today. I'm very often amazed at the human body's ability to heal minor aches & pains given enough time. So my home town of Plymouth is getting dumped on today. Been watching it on the Weather Channel. Waves breaking over the sea wall is not a good sign. But, up until the past few weeks it's been mostly an open winter, so the snow budget should be in good shape.
Condolences to any Panther fans. I wanted them to win also. Afraid to say my concern with Denver's corner pass rush proved justified. Wait'll next year. I learned to adopt that philosophy from my many years as a frustrated Red Sox fan. But, by then the Pat's will be healthy again. I will not say Tom Brady is the greatest QB to ever play the game. He needs one more ring for that. Just teasing! But it's true. ✌️

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:42 pm 

Good call on the Denver's pressure come from the end. I told someone shortly before the game that Carolina might be in trouble if the couldn't contain those two guys. If you can rush four and get continuous pressure then it is hard to do much on the offensive side and the Panthers found that out. Glad that your foot is feeling a little better. Hoping for better weather for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35 pm 

The political spotlight now focuses on SC. Myrtle Beach will not escape. All candidates will be here at some time this week. I'd like to here more from John Kasich. I see him so far as being very authentic.
I don't know what to make of Trump. How much substance, how much carnival barker?
Might go to SOS on Rt 17 today. See if I can find a pair of shoes with more more support. The area of "pain" is just outside the fifth metetarcel. But it's coming around. Patience.
There's a snowbirds exposition tomorrow afternoon at the MB Mall. May take that in if the foot allows.
What are the large birds that are flying up & down the beach? Large bills. Not seagulls.
Had pecan encrusted salmon for supper last night. Excellent! I'm trying to eat fish at least twice a week. I love fish. All varieties. In Plymouth I live just about 3 miles from thr coast so getting fresh, good quality seafood is no problem. Woods Seafood on the Plymouth waterfront is supplied from fishing and lobster boats that tie right up to their dock.
Anyhow, time to get the day started.
.....later

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:38 pm 

Tomplyma wrote:
What are the large birds that are flying up & down the beach? Large bills. Not seagulls.
.....later

Sounds like pelicans...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Pel ... ORM=IDBQDM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you're having a good time and getting used to the southern culture! And I hope your feet are doing better. I've smiled and enjoyed your commentary as you post your thoughts and wonderings! :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:58 pm 

Made a return trip to Georgetown today to visit the Georgetown County Museum. Explored the history of the low country rice cash crop through some great art effects and photos. Also the early importance of indigo and turpentine to that part of the state. Had a long chat with a museum guide who live all her life in Georgetown. She was a wealth of knowledge about the role of the plantation before and after the civil war in Georgetown County history. She outlined how the Yankees restored many of the old, deteriorated plantations to be used as winter refuges and duck/deer hunting camps. She referred to it as the second Yankee invasion. I know that Tom Yawkee, one time Boston Red Sox owner, owned a place in SC. Chating with someone who's ancestors lived the history was an unexpected treat.

I learned that International Paper is a major employer in Georgetown. They still run three shifts. Even on a day a clear as today was smell of the plant just across the river was noticeable. I'd guess you get used to the chemical smell if you live there.

On the ride back to NMB along Rt 17 I noticed lots of "JEB" signs. Only a few "Trump" signs.

Stopped for a late lunch (3PM) at Hamberger Joes on 48th street south, across from Barefoot Landing.
Really good wings and $1 drafts. Hard to beat!

Time for a nap.

.....later

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:13 am 

We always enjoy Hamburger Joes. Good food and the price is reasonable. The beer is cold and the price it right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:03 am 
Site Admin

It won't be long until you know more about the Grand Strand than many people who have lived here for years. Good for you for doing research, soaking up the local culture and making discoveries that many casual tourists miss.

>...International Paper is a major employer in Georgetown.
There was a time when upscale homes were considered for Georgetown, but due to the stink from the paper mill it soon became clear (no pun intended) that it would be too difficult to sell and make a profit. I guess you could get used to it, but when you get away from the smell and come back later it is as strong as ever.

Did you visit the Georgetown Harbor Walk Marina? They experienced a very bad fire in 2013, and the last time we drove by - several months ago - there was still a lot of work to be done. I hope this beautiful historic area will be restored in the near future.

http://www.funbeaches.com/georgetown-fire/
http://www.funbeaches.com/May.2012/paper-mill.jpg
http://www.funbeaches.com/May.2012/riverwalk.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:01 am 

I'd like to get down to Georgetown and many other historical places in the South. Being a Civil War buff and seeing almost every battlefield up north here I'd like to see where it all started.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:59 am 

Parrish, thanks for the pics. Really enjoyed them, especially the Georgetown fire. No fire damage was in evidence when I visited.
Attended the "Snowbirds" fair at the Myrtle Beach Mall yesterday. Quite informative. Well attended. Wasn't sure where abouts it was being held. I entered through the Belk store. Of course it was held at the opposite end of the mall. No problem, I always pick the wrong line at the supermarket too!
I'm lucky to be in balmy SC today. Wind chill temp in Plymouth this morning is -5.

I'm wondering if I make a purchase from Amazon Prime how the delivery would be handled, since the front entryway to the building requires a key.

Have a good day!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:22 am 

Budwash435, you might enjoy Julian Stockwin's latest novel "Quarterdeck" that uses the establishment of the American navy as a backdrop to exhibit his unique style presenting this fact based piece of fiction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:09 am 

After reading some of the weather related reports out of New England I am so happy to be in Myrtle Beach! Five degrees in Boston this morning, give me a break. I'll stay until late March and by then it should be safe to return, I hope.
Attended the ten o'clock service at Our Lady Star of the Sea church yesterday. Full to near capacity (1600 plus). May try the 8 next Sunday. Stopped for coffee and bagel at Kraves on Rt 17 (near Possum Trot Road) on the way back to the condo. This has become my "go to" Sunday morning place.
Cinnamon bagel with strawberry cream cheese. Oh yeah! They also sell sandwiches. Picked up a Philly Cheese Steak to snack on later.
Sad news about justice Scalia. Hope he is rembered as an American hero.
Got take out from Papa John's. The one on Rt 17 between 1st and 3rd streets south. I've seen PJ's advertised on TV a lot, but we don't have on within fifty miles of Plymouth. A lot like Pizza Hut I thought. Best pizza is on Federal Hill, the Italian section of Providence. Food, any food, is so subjective. The neighborhood bakeries in NE, one on every other block it seems, are worth exploring. Especially the ones that have been in business for decades.
Stay warm everyone!
.....later

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:40 am 

I am glad you are enjoying your stay! We are sitting here in SE Ohio with somewhat warmer temps(30) than last week(0-9)...no snow falling right now but freezing rain predicted for the next two days...I would rather have snow...but we are going no where the next few days...we are so enjoying your explorations of the area...we usually stay south(Surfside Beach)...I think we need to venture more north to experience what they have to offer...thanks for sharing...the winter months are often slow on the board...trip reports will keep us going until our trip in August!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next