Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:24 pm 

When you get up to the north check out Vereen's Gardens. It's a nice walk through a salt marsh and there's a pier that goes into the waterway. Lots of different birds and we've seen bald eagles once in awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:38 am 

I'll add Vereens Gardens to my growing list. Thanks!
Lazy day yesterday. Worked out in the exercise room here at the condo. Very small, but I only use the treadmill and the recumbent bike.
Was unsuccessful in locating the NMB Tourist Center. It was not at the location shown on the map. I have a feeling it was moved at some time to thr C of C building. Will make another attempt shortly. Also want to visit the NMB Historical Museum.
When I visit a new place I like to know it's history. Almost impossible on a one or two week vacation.
A couple of months is good. I'll take in the tourist attractions, but just as much fun is engaging the locals in conversation. The other day I had an extended conversation with a worker at Bi-Lo and learned a lot about the area that's not written anywhere. I like getting off the beaten path. With the presidential primaries in SC just around the corner I'm anxious to take the local political temp. So I enjoy getting down in the weeds when I visit a place for the first time.
Have a great day!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:09 am 

metric wrote:
When you get up to the north check out Vereen's Gardens. It's a nice walk through a salt marsh and there's a pier that goes into the waterway. Lots of different birds and we've seen bald eagles once in awhile.

Metric thank you so much for posting this!!! I have never been and it is on my to do list for April. Don't know how the heck I've never seen this!! We love doing nature walks like this. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:23 pm 

The tourist info center for NMB was in fact in the C of C building. Lots of good info. More interesting was the NMB historical Museum. Spent a good 2 hours there. The devestation suffered by NMB in 1954 by hurricane Hazel was tremendous. But it gave birth to today's NMB. A good section on the just offshore artificial reefs and their continued impact on the local economy. Also, a very enjoyable section devoted to the origin of the Shag.
Watched the debate last night. I'm leaning toward Rubio but that could change. I'll vote for ABH (anybody but Hilory)! If she becomes president I'm moving to Canada.
May head over to Barefoot Landing today. I'm trying to decide on some apps to prepare for Super Bowl
Sunday (I hate autocorrect!)
Enjoy the day!
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:26 pm 

Emmy there's another where the boat launch is on the marsh at 53rd ave North.

http://parks.nmb.us/Page.aspx?id=103

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:41 pm 

Went to the La Belle Amie vineyard today. Tasted several local wines and bought a bottle of Southern Sweet Sugar Daddy. Good crowd, I'd estimate 250 to 300 in attendance. Great weather to sit for a while and listen to a pretty good acoustic band. Judging from the license plates I'd say half locals, half visitors.
After that took a drive down Sea Mt Highway to Platts Seafood and picked up some fresh fish for supper.
Also bought a pound of large shrimp and had them steamed. I passed on the frozen alligator meat.
Maybe next time.
Oh, the employees at Platts ...... Very definite southern accents!
..... later

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 pm 

Quote:
Oh, the employees at Platts ...... Very definite southern accents!

You grew up in Mass..... anyone that pronounces "R"s has a Southern Accent !

(yes.... I spent the first 28 yrs of my life on Boston's North Shore, so I can judge :nanner: :beerchug: )

Glad you're having an awesom time - the vineyard sounds great, not sure why we haven't visited yet....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:38 pm 

And this past Saturday at the vineyard was a bonfire. When they have a musicfest they have hundreds of people and a great band. Their first one of the year is at the end of February. We'll be there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:15 pm 

I'll definitely be on the lookout for that. Here until just before Easter. After ten o'clock service at OL Star of the Sea and a visit to Kraves for beagles & coffee stayed close to home today. Watching the political coverage on TV. Once NH is over, will we be inundated with TV commercials here?
If it gets as warm as predicted may just get some ocean swimming in. I'm used to colder water. The beautiful beaches in Plymouth don't benefit from the warming effect of the Gulf Stream. That comes up the Atlantic coast as far as Chatham on the cape then takes a sharp right turn out to sea.
....later

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 am 

Heading out to Conway and Georgetown today. Going to try to stick to the back roads. Been reading up on the history of both towns, particularly their place in the Revolutionary War. Anxious to see the area where the Swamp Fox made life miserable for the Brits.
Observation: there are no telephone poles along Ocean Blvd. Any poles are one street back. I assume the feeder electrical lines for the condos and resorts are underground? Is this out of concern for hurricanes, or is it aesthetic?
Well, my boy (Rubio) did ok last night. On to NH. Then SC. Bill Clinton is here already (Columbia).
Observation: The drinking water problem in Ohio. Of all things, how does a town government drop the ball on its drinking water! When funds are tight, it's all to easy to forego the necessary maintenance on underground water and sewer piping. Big mistake!!
Super Bowl: I'm picking the Panthers IF 1) they keep a back in to help with Denver's defensive ends (who are the best speed rushers in the league). The Pat's found this out the hard way. and 2) the Panther offensive coordinator gets Cam Neely out of the pocket and has hi use his legs. I haven't followed the Panthers close enough to know if they can execute the screen pass, but that too would help negate Denver's outstanding pass rush.
Have a good day folks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:03 am 

cam Neely...lol. Cam Newton.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:35 pm 

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your vacation. Trip reports this time of year are a always a bonus waiting for summer to come.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 am 

My pleasure MBKY. Although I don't think of my stay as a vacation in the usual sense of the word. You don't get vacations once you retire. This is more sheltering in place until most of the cold, snow and sleet of New England has passed. But visiting new places is a good experience. This is my first winter as a "snowbird". I picked MB because I wanted someplace not too warm and MB's average temp in the 50's was perfect. I liked San Diego also, but that was twice the drive as MB. I'll bet I'm possibly one of the few New Englanders who has never set foot in Florida. I'd melt!
Made the trip to Conway & Georgetown yesterday. Took Rt 22 to Rt 90 to Rt 501. Beautiful river walk in Conway. Also visited the county historical museum on Main St. Fantastic exhibits and history. Two of the museum employees were involved in a discussion right next to me giving me a good dose of southern dialect, which I throughly enjoyed.
Took a drive by tour of Georgetown. Will return here to explore more later. Stumbled upon a local favorite for late lunch, Lamar's Fish & Chips. A neighborhood place that's been there for 43 years.
This is NOT a tourist spot. Real southern grits. Will take some getting used to.
.....later

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:07 pm 

Lazy day. Rain. Catching up on my Netflix (Orange Is The New Black). Making yet another attempt to make some hard boiled eggs that will come out of the shell easily. Also making some Italian tuna saled (made with bread crumbs and sliced black olives). Still undecided re Super Bowl Sunday apps.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 am 

Tomplyma wrote:
Lazy day. Rain. Catching up on my Netflix (Orange Is The New Black). Making yet another attempt to make some hard boiled eggs that will come out of the shell easily.

Am so enjoying "following" you along on this trip report! Thanks for taking the time to share. Crack the eggs gently after they are boiled. Hold the eggs under running water while you peel them. The water gets between the egg and shell and they slip apart! Let me know how that works!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next