Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 pm 

I do know that Norandex is pretty big in windows doors etc.
any more than seeing their trucks all over not sure of
how they are to work for...Also remember to just
browse the Yellow Pages and google trucking and
construction companies in and around Myrtle Beach
like Conway which is very very close to Myrtle Beach.
Then send the resumes and say willing to interview
and see what happens.How about the lumber and
building supply companies as they still building like
mad here too.....

Pepsi, Coke and Beer companies hire as well for drivers
UPS,Fed Ex as well ... If we can help with anything let
us know as we here to assist....

Dwight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 am 

Thank You Dwight....I will do that and see what we come up with! Have a great day!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm 

You are welcome and it is always a great
day in Myrtle Beach ........ :sunny:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:11 pm 

Cori, I 1st moved here in 79 and have been back full time for 16 years, I have not heard of them, but that
does not mean they are not a good Company.

Before investigating the Company it should be more important to find out about the pay, as I mentioned
previously the pay scale is not the same here as up north. Jobs that start at $18 up there start at $8.50 here.

I have a friend who was looking to move here from CT., he's a produce mgr for Stop & Shop he decided not
to move due to the fact he would take a 65% pay cut, I have 2 friends that are store managers for Food Lion,
they could not believe how much money he was making as they make no where near what he does.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

OK, y'all, lets get out the calculators because there's more to consider here than moving to the best beach in the USA, over 100 golf courses, the variety of restaurants and entertainment, and the (mostly) delightful weather. There's more than the fact that salaries are better "up north."

For instance from:
http://www.sctax.org/Publications/mov2sc.html

There is no intangibles tax in South Carolina.

You do not pay a capital gains tax in this state on property sold in another state. Federal rules governing the exclusion of capital gains realized on the sale of a personal residence also apply in South Carolina.

A deduction is allowed for net capital gains held for two years or longer. The deduction is 44%, making the effective tax rate 3.9% as compared to the top rate of 7% on all other income.

Beginning with the first year you receive retirement income and until you turn 65, you may take an annual deduction of up to $3,000 from retirement income. The retirement deduction increases to $10,000 at age 65. You may take this deduction for income received from any qualified retirement plan, such as IRAs, government pension plans, Keough plans and private sector pensions. If both spouses receive retirement income, each spouse is entitled to an individual deduction. At age 65, all residents are eligible for a deduction of up to $15,000 from income, regardless of the source. This deduction must be offset by any deduction claimed for retirement income.

I'm using CT for the next examples, not because I'm trying to pick on y'all from CT, but because that's the state Gary mentioned.

Compare average salary by state

2009 SC median household income: $42,442
2009 Connecticut median income: $67,034
Difference $24,592
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U. ... _by_income

Home Price in Hartford = $409,840
Home Price in Myrtle Beach = $230,219
Difference $179,962
http://www.bankrate.com/

Payments and Interest on above homes:
Hartford = $1,612.84
Myrtle Beach = $922
Difference $690.46

Apartment rent in Hartford: $1,136
Apartment rent in Myrtle Beach $632.08
Difference: $504.59
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/445.html

The Tax Burden - http://www.taxfoundation.org
For nearly two decades the Tax Foundation has published an estimate of the combined state-local tax burden shouldered by the residents of each of the 50 states. For each state, we calcu­late the total amount paid by the residents in taxes, then divide those taxes by the state's total income to compute a "tax burden." We make this calculation not only for the most recent year but also for earlier years because tax and income data are revised periodically by government agencies. The goal is to focus not on the tax collec­tors but on the taxpayers. That is, we answer the question: What percentage of their income are the residents of this state paying in state and local taxes? We are not trying to answer the question: How much money have state and local governments collected?

Now let's take a look at SC's State and Tax Burden for 2009 in the last column of this link:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/479.html

Compare it to CT's:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/445.html

I'm just sayn' ........ :cool: (and don't forget the 60 miles of white beaches and all we have to shovel is rain. Oh, never mind, I wasn't going to mention that!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:04 pm 

From what I have been finding I must say I am very pleased with the starting rates....and the rent is very resonable in Myrtle Beach and surrounding areas also. Now, my husband gets paid by the load and not an hourly rate so that would be a change for us if he were to take an hourly rate job. We live in the poorest county in Western Pa and trust me there is nothing here. We want more for our girls, heck we want more for us! We have not had it easy where we are and we are not looking for Myrtle Beach to solve all of our problems....we simply want to be some where we love......life is way to short to wish it away. We are blessed to have a wonderful family and we just want to enjoy our days together......it would be so nice to do that in a warmer climate on the beach. Yes we will struggle no matter where we go but heck, I would rather struggle and be able to walk on the beach than struggle where we are now.
The price of living is different in all areas...that is a given. You just have to find ways to make it work! :sunny: Well I am off to enjoy a cup of coffee and see what else I can find on here!
Thanks again for all the input...I really do appreciate it. Have a great night everyone!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:49 pm 

O goodness! I had to post....Reading the Yahoo news tonight...poor Connecticut, was just rated worst state to retire to.....must be alot to live there too cause it states "The Nutmeg State does have considerable charm and some terrific places to live, if you can afford to live here"
Myrtle Beach here we come!!!! :wav: LOL!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm 

Patrish, all valid points you make and I agree with all of them, including this is one of the best places to live in the Country and the best place on the beach to live.

My point is trying to help what I think is a young couple (a lot younger then I) to really investigate their dream before making such a drastic life changing move. It is not easy here and yes the rents can look cheap compared to elsewhere, yet just look at the Apartments off Green Blvd by Broadway at the Beach, they are less than 16 years old, they are known as living in the hood, I would not want to live there with kids and there are many other places here that can be scary to some.

I tell folks my age all the time, if your thinking of retiring here, buy now as the prices are hopefully as low as they will go, and as the boomers start to retire, this will be one of the hot spots in the Country, due to all of your points and many more that you did not list.

I think I'm done trying to help with any further comments about moving here :)

Gary

“When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious
privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to
enjoy, to love.”
- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:17 pm 

Gary, please do not stop posting....this is what we need to help us with our decission....Like I said I do appreciate it. I sometimes get over excited and I try to look at the positive in everything. Thats just me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:30 pm 

I am sorry if I offended you in any way....I just thought it was funny when I logged off of here and logged into yahoo and there was the story on Connecticut....thats the first thing I see after reading about the differences that Patrish posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 pm 

Look it depends on your skills as to the opportunities that open up. Right now there is a need for skilled tradesmen all over the county. If you are a certified welder, machinist , HVACtech/plumber , electrician ,maintenance tech. you can and will be able to pull down an exellent wage in Myrtle Beach or many other places in the country look at some online head hunters from Myrtle Beach to see what people are seeking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Gary, please feel free to post in any topic.

Quote Gary:
"...he decided not to move due to the fact he would take a 65% pay cut..."
I was just trying to point out that salary is not the only consideration. With more research, your friend may have discovered that what he was losing in money, he would more than made up for by cost of living, tax benefits, etc.

Cori seems to be a pretty smart cookie, no matter how old she is. She has been doing a lot of research, and I think all the posts people have been making are helpful. After all, we're all different and it's always good to have several points of view.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:59 pm 

OK, I will contribute :)

Patrish, I know what your saying yet the real world is not all that it seems. In my friends case, he gets a salary and bonuses based upon margins and sales, he had made $65-$78K the last
4 years before looking here, he was being offered jobs at $26-$35K, there is no way all the tax discounts and cost of living savings make up for $45K loss in pay and continue your existing lifestyle, no magic formula can change this fact.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:35 pm 

Wow Gary, that is a huge pay cut.....I can understand where you are coming from. I am not sure I would have moved either in that case. Well, we will see what happens...and I will keep you all updated. Look for us in March! We plan to make a trip and see what we can get into. We are ready for Kenny to stay behind too if that is the case to get started.
But, I will ask one more question....my oldest is in softball, she loves it and we would have to find her a team to play on. Is there a YMCA? I am sure the schools would also offer it but just thought I would throw that out there.
Thanks again Gary for your input. It really does help...keep posting! :sunny:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:10 pm 

She will have no problem finding an outlet for playing ball, no matter where along the Grand Strand you may move to, we have a Y in Myrtle Beach and Georgetown, both are new facilities and really nice with great sports programs.

There are also the Cities of North Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach and Conway all have programs as well as the County.

There is no lack of sports programs for kids :)

Gary