Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Condo near a pier
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:01 pm 

I haven't been on here for a little over a year now and I've missed this board. We weren't able to go on vacation last year and we are looking so forward to a very needed vacation this year. I so enjoy walking around and under the piers (to find some shells) and would like to find a place to stay close enough to one. Does anyone know of a place that is close enough to walk to. We just don't want to stay in the down town area.. too busy for us.

Post subject: Re: Condo near a pier
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:15 am 

How far would you be willing to walk? Something in between Garden City and Surfside piers would give you option of walking to either one. Garden City Pier used to have live bands at night. Staying close to there would give you easy and inexpensive nights just hanging out sipping a cold drink.

To the north of MB would be Kingston Plantation or Shore Drive area. Anything along there would be easy walk to Apache Pier. To the south of Apache would be Shore Drive. Anything there would be easy walk to Ocean Annie's. Oceanfront bar behind Sand's Ocean Club. Little bit loud and can get rowdy. OK for a visit or two. Gets old if you stay too close and listen to it all week.
Restaurant in Sand's plus a River Cities location.

In North Myrtle Beach you have Cherry Grove Pier. Prince Resort is built right at the pier. Out the door and around pool...You're on the pier. Motel restaurant plus small bar and grill on the pier.
Some generic condo buildings within walking distance. We usually stay several blocks south of pier. Easy walk to pier plus easy walk to cluster of businesses on Sea Mountain.
Wyndham's Towers On Grove resort at end of Sea Mountain.

North end of Cherry Grove. Smaller frame style condo complex called Sea Cabins. Has it's own small private pier. Negative for Sea Cabins would be few units are ocean front. Most are ocean view.

Only made a couple trips to Garden City and Apache pier areas. Can't remember anything spectacular in the shell department. A lot of times that could because of weather and tides. Can say on many occasions I've found large patches of the smaller shells around Cherry Grove Pier. Ruann gets mad when I return from walk with pockets full of spirals and olives........Like we need another jar full of them here at the house......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:54 am 

Pop: I wouldn't mind a 15-20 walk to a pier. How long of a walk would you say it is between surfside and garden city piers? That might be fun.
Our favorite pier is springmaid, but DH doesn't want to stay at that hotel right there, says it looks like it's too outdated.

A few years ago we stayed at the Paradise resort and walked to the pier, but that took about 40 minutes just one way. Have you stayed in any of the hotels in that area that might be closer than the paradise?

As far as collecting shells...it's one of my favorite things to do there on the beach. My husband always complains about the shells that I want to bring back home too. He thinks we have enough of them. But I always tell him; not from this year. I also have those little jars around the house too, lol... One thing I haven't found yet at the beach is sea glass. Is it almost impossible to find at MB?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:20 am 

We stayed 4-5 blocks north of Garden City Pier and never made it all the way walking to Surfside Pier. Gave up and turned back each time we tried. This was right after the beach re-nourishment and the sand at low tide still had steep pitch to it. Long walks were hard on knees and hips.
Thinking finding a place right in the middle you would have 15-20 minute walk to either pier.

Shore Drive/Kingston....Anyplace through there would be 15-20 from Apache. Sand's to north end of Kingston was very easy walk and Apache was right in the middle.

Cherry Grove Pier is close to middle of Cherry Grove. Maybe a hair closer to south but why nit pic.....Anyplace north or south of pier you would be in the 15-20 minute range for walking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:34 am 

Cathy, Surfside and GC piers are roughly 2 miles apart. Lots of condo's in the area both ocean front and 1st and 2nd row.

Springmaid Resort at the pier is older but has been fully renovated, it is now part of the Charlestown Group out of Charleston SC and the rooms are nice.

Also a bit north is Compass Cove which you can't go wrong staying here.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:37 pm 

We stay at Sea Watch Resort.....hubby walks to Apache Pier almost every morning. I do it about once while we are there and sons/DIL run down there a couple times a week. I'm guessing maybe 15 minute walk - don't pay attention to time. Beach is very easy to walk on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:09 pm 

Thanks guys for the info.. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what's available for the time we picked. Actually since we're going so last minute, it's hard to find a place . I've looked online and ALOT of places are not available for anytime in July... The Sea Watch only has 3 bdrms left and we only need 1 to 2 bdrm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:41 pm 

Do you need a large resort with long list of amenities or would any generic building with a vacancy do?

Out of curiosity I checked place we like in Cherry Grove. Oceans. 1-2 bedroom units still available the three July weeks I looked at. Very short amenity list so it doesn't attract a lot of families with kids.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 am 

We don't really need a ton of amenities, but some things we would like are a pool, lazy river and maybe an outdoor bar near the pool. We're too afraid of staying in a low rise (wooden structure) because we stayed at a really nice one a few years back and we ended up having fire ants on the balcony. And we did get a ton of bites too. So after that we never got to use our balcony for the rest of the week. We were told that alot of low rise wooden structures will have ants because people put those carpet pieces that cover the deck floor, and those ants thrive under it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Type this into a google search:
vrbo Garden city beach sc near pier

Then do the same for
vrbo Surfside Beach sc near pier

Sometimes you can luck out with vacation rentals from owners who have not filled their units.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall