Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phillips Cottage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:40 pm 

Well, we were here for about 5 hours...the house looks much like it is depicted on the internet and in the realty brouchure.
It is retro in decor...and a little dated in appliances...especially the stove and the washer/dryer...but we knew going in that this was going to be a cottage that was a little older...that is ok...we normally rent houses that are 3rd row...smaller and older...to save money...our beach budget is small unless we get alot of family to come along...this year it is just my oldest daughter and myself...so we got the call that the house was ready...picked up yhe keys...and moved all our things in...got ready for our week at the beach...we were sitting around and we noticed some things...first...it was hot inside the house. We checked the ac...hmmm it said it was 80...inside,,,but the cool temp was 70....hmm...so we checked windows...thought maybe it warmed up because we were moving things in...Katie went out to look at the ac unit...she said it was running...so we waited a bit more and it was getting warmer not cooler...then we noticed the floor fans in each room...that was a clue...wasn't it! Anyway, we called Surfside Realty...they sent an ac man out...he checked all the windows...checked something in the attic...and told us it was working but unless the owners got a bigger unit there was not much that could be done...so I called again...but the lady I talked to had left for the day...they said she would call me on Monday...I said ok...at that point...I needed a few moments to think this through...so we thought lets take the golf car out and at least see the ocean...keep in mind we paid $100 extra to use the golf car...we uncovered it...opened the gate...unhooked the chain...unplugged it...put in the key started it up...backed out...and it quit running...not to start again...we are batting a thousand...ok so we called the realty again...talked to a different person...told our sad tale...and she says..."Let me see what we can do..." came back with sweet words...would you like to look at another unit...YES, YES, YES...we got the keys...checked out the new place and grabbedd it...great ac... :nanner:

Some other problems with Phillips Cottage: mattress covers had some kind of small animal fur on them...we were in the process of washing them...when we moved...I did not think this was apet friendly unit but it may have been...we do have pets in our home...so we are used to pet hair...but not in a rental where it shoild be clean when we arrive and we do not travel with our pets...we found a rotten tomato in the sink...and a half empty bottle of a sports drink...the refrgerator was not as clean as it could have been...the drawers and closets just did not seem well cleaned...now I should add that we have used Surfside Realty for about 5 years and each condo or house has been IMMACULATELY clean...so this cottage was a shock to us...also...all that we talked to were really nice...they cooperated completely and seemed to really care that we have a good vacation...
so we are in a unit now that is comparable in price to Phillips Cottage...it has great ac...and is clean...our vacation is saved :hello: the only thing I still need to check on is the golf car fee...

Post subject: Re: Phillips Cottage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

What a story, JoAnn! I googled and found Surfside Realty's listing for Phillips Cottage. (Never heard of it prior to this post.) It looks nice in the picture, and the ad mentions "for an additional $100 you can have use of the golf cart to get your family to the beach." So let's see....you had an air conditioner that was not big enough to service the house, and a golf cart that wouldn't start. You found pet hair on the mattress, stuff in the sink, a dirty refrigerator and dirty drawers and closet.

I'm happy to hear Surfside Realty got you out of there and into a better unit. I've heard good reviews about Surfside Realty, so I'm glad they were able to make amends.

Please let us know about your new unit and how things go from here!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject: Re: Phillips Cottage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:14 pm 

I will, Patrish! Today was a GREAT beach day!