Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:58 am 

This is my first trip to MB and have been told by many to either stay in NMB or SMB not Central. So with that said, for a group of 17 with a variety of interests, 3 young ones, teenagers, and golf. We do not want to be in the thick of traffic, but would like to be close to the beach. I have looked at Cherry Grove, Windy Hill but have no idea where and if these are good areas for what I am looking for. What is the big difference between North and South? And the best areas of each?

Please help. I have heard that this is the place to have questions answered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:47 am 
Site Admin

You will certainly get some answers, but opinions vary. The information you received (north or south, not in the middle) is good advice for a group your size.

Not long ago I got long-winded about the subject concerning differences between the area. You can read it here:
http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=12403

As I mentioned in the link, beaches in the north end of Myrtle Beach and in the City of North Myrtle Beach tend to be wider than the beaches in the Surfside Beach or Garden City Beach. However, both Garden City and Surfside offer a small town feeling without high-rises, but plenty of condos and beach houses.

No matter where you choose to stay, you will need a car to get around.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:12 am 

Thank you Patrish, your post was most helpful. We are hoping not to spend our time in traffic like we did in Gatlinburg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:58 am 

Welcome to the board. I am envious of the fact that you have been able to travel to 5 of the 7 continents. I love to travel also. Looking forward to future posts from you. I live in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area so I can relate to your traffic problems here.

Judy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:23 am 

I can only speak of the far north end of MB - we have stayed at Sea Watch for the past several years because it seems so convenient to many things. There is a golf course right across the street (Arcadian Shores), the outlets are right down the street - you don't even have to get on the highway, there is a WalMart across the street from outlets. Restaurant row is nearby - maybe a 15 minute drive (never pay much attention) to Broadway at the Beach and central Myrtle.

SeaWatch has a DJ on Tuesday/Thursday at their north pool. They have contests (hula hoop, etc) all kids from little ones to teenagers seem to really enjoy these.

I know several families that come together and they stay in the Garden City area and they rent a house. They seem to enjoy that area also (not sure if there are lifeguards on those beaches).

No matter where you decide to stay you will love Myrtle Beach - enjoy your trip!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:53 am 

FYI...there are lifeguards on the beaches in Garden City and Surfside, as well. We like these areas for the "small town/comunity feel"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:50 pm 

There are great places to stay on North Myrtle Beach. Seaside Vacations (http://www.seasidevacations.com/), for example, offers condos or houses for vacation rentals. The area is extremely family friendly and quiet. You can choose different locations based on what you want to be closest to, such as golf courses or the beach. Happy vacation hunting!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:12 pm 

:lol: I had to laugh about your Gatlinburg comment. I have not found anywhere that the traffic is as bad as Gatlinburg. Myrtle Beach traffic can be trying at times, but I don't even compare it to Gatlinburg. With that being said we are North Myrtle Beachers (Windy Hill area) and love it! We actually stayed in central Myrtle Beach in the fall because my sister in law had a time share and I would not even consider paying to stay in that area. North Myrtle beaches are wonderful and there are plenty of restaurants, putt putt, shopping and grocery stores to entertain for the week. Be sue to let us know where you decide to book and why.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:26 pm 

I really don't like going to Gatlinburg. Usually go a couple of times a year and never venture far past the Tanger Outlets in Sevierville. No way could I spend an entire week there.

We stay in the Surfside/Garden City area at the beach. Pretty much the in between spot of Myrtle Beach proper and Murrells Inlet . Lots of condos, restaurants, and golf in the area, and just a short drive to Broadway at the Beach. Nice family atmosphere in the area.

Outside of a small section of the 60 mile Grand Strand, you will probably be happy anywhere you choose. Downtown area is going to be more crowded and both North and South ends a little quieter. Pretty much going to need a car to go to the activities regardless of where you choose to stay. Let us know what you decide and be sure to follow up with a report on your trip

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 pm 

All of you that enjoy Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge traffic should have been here last weekend. First major car show of the season and the traffic was backed up for miles. Reports of it taking 4 hours to get from Gatlinburg to the interstate (through Sevierville)which is less than 30 miles. We know the back roads but that did not help much. We have lived here for 25 years but I would rather be at the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:54 pm 

Judy,

I pulled that car show stunt last year. I had no idea when we booked that there was a car show. Never EVER again! Lesson to be learned always ask...or call Judy :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 pm 

Most of our trips have been to NMB. Have made a few to Surfside/Garden City. Little if any difference. NMB is always our first choice mainly because we're more familiar with that area.

Garden City/Surfside is maybe 3-4 miles of beach. NMB maybe 6-8. Houses and condos are the same. Just more of them in NMB. Larger the inventory .....easier to find what you want.

Two fishing piers in Surfside/Garden City. Only one in Cherry Grove section of NMB.

Small clusters of businesses next to piers in Surfside/Garden City for oceanfront shopping/dining. Down that way there's a good chance you will be going out on RT 17 most nights to eat or shop.
Two larger areas of businesses in NMB. One is Main Street in Ocean Drive section and other is at Sea Mountain Highway in Cherry Grove. Nice for those evenings you just don't feel like making a big night out of going out. Staying near either one of those you can take short walk to eat and hit a couple shops. Small amusement park at end of Main Street would be fun for the small kids.

Out on RT 17 things are the same north or south. If you've seen one mini golf course or beach shop you've seen them all.
Dining. Surfside/Garden City.Few miles south is Murrell's Inlet to Marsh Walk. Very popular dining area.
In NMB. Few miles north to Little River waterfront or Calabash. Doesn't have Marsh Walk but dining is very similar.....Plus Callahan's at Calabash is good for an hour.

Adults and little kids would be happy with either end. South of MB or NMB. The teens would be the tricky part. Older teens (16-18) might be bored unless somewhere along the strip in MB. Younger teens (13-15) would have good time in NMB someplace close to Main Street or Sea Mountain. Wouldn't be any problem giving them a little freedom out of your sight for a few hours at a time. Black Pearl mini golf a few blocks out Sea Mountain would be easy walk for them. Bike rentals (hour/day/week) at Bike Doctor would give them something to do.

Elliott, Thomas Century 21, and Grand Strand Vacations would be your best bets for NMB listings. Elliott probably has largest inventory.
You said something near beach. Sounds like oceanfront isn't a big deal. Might look at channel houses. Nice houses a few blocks off beach for less money.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:04 pm 

We think you should focus on your search in North Myrtle Beach!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:29 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
Most of our trips have been to NMB. Have made a few to Surfside/Garden City. Little if any difference. NMB is always our first choice mainly because we're more familiar with that area.

Garden City/Surfside is maybe 3-4 miles of beach. NMB maybe 6-8. Houses and condos are the same. Just more of them in NMB. Larger the inventory .....easier to find what you want.

Two fishing piers in Surfside/Garden City. Only one in Cherry Grove section of NMB.

Small clusters of businesses next to piers in Surfside/Garden City for oceanfront shopping/dining. Down that way there's a good chance you will be going out on RT 17 most nights to eat or shop.
Two larger areas of businesses in NMB. One is Main Street in Ocean Drive section and other is at Sea Mountain Highway in Cherry Grove. Nice for those evenings you just don't feel like making a big night out of going out. Staying near either one of those you can take short walk to eat and hit a couple shops. Small amusement park at end of Main Street would be fun for the small kids.

Out on RT 17 things are the same north or south. If you've seen one mini golf course or beach shop you've seen them all.

Dining. Surfside/Garden City.Few miles south is Murrell's Inlet to Marsh Walk. Very popular dining area.
In NMB. Few miles north to Little River waterfront or Calabash. Doesn't have Marsh Walk but dining is very similar.....Plus Callahan's at Calabash is good for an hour.

Adults and little kids would be happy with either end. South of MB or NMB. The teens would be the tricky part. Older teens (16-18) might be bored unless somewhere along the strip in MB. Younger teens (13-15) would have good time in NMB someplace close to Main Street or Sea Mountain. Wouldn't be any problem giving them a little freedom out of your sight for a few hours at a time. Black Pearl mini golf a few blocks out Sea Mountain would be easy walk for them. Bike rentals (hour/day/week) at Bike Doctor would give them something to do.
Where would you recommend along the strip (thinking older teens)??
Elliott, Thomas Century 21, and Grand Strand Vacations would be your best bets for NMB listings. Elliott probably has largest inventory.
You said something near beach. Sounds like oceanfront isn't a big deal. Might look at channel houses. Nice houses a few blocks off beach for less money.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:20 pm 

explorenmb wrote:
We think you should focus on your search in North Myrtle Beach!

Thanks that what we've decided! Now Seawatch or caribbean Resort????
Half the fun is planning and researching. I love input.