Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Contract questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:35 pm 

Hi everyone!
Is it common for rental contracts with condo owners to have a cancellation policy stating...no refunds of total rental price & deposit if cancelled within 30 days of arrival. This makes me nervous in case of emergencies when we would lose about $2000. I have never done VRBO before and I wasn't sure if this is common.

Thanks for all the great info. These boards are a huge help for those of us first-timers!

Post subject: Re: Contract questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 pm 

Yes, I am pretty certain this is standard for most condo rentals (not just VRBO).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 am 

Does that also mean you can't move your money to another time? I know we camp at some places that won't do a refund within 14 days but you can move your money paid to another vacation time, even if it's the next year.

That clause would cause me concern too. Maybe it would be worth looking into some sort of trip disruption insurance. I don't know what that costs, but even if it's a couple hundred dollars it might be worth it to avoid losing a couple thousand dollars.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 pm 

I know that I have been told in the past that if we cancel within 30 days of arrival that we would receive 25% (1/2 half of the rental) of our deposit back IF the unit is rented for the week that we have scheduled. I would check with a few different companies and just study their rental terms. I am almost certain you cannot change weeks. Dawne, you are correct this is why they push travel insurance.

Now with that being said we are renting for a great family through VRBO. She has told me in the past that if anything came up that she would work with me. I just read her contract and the most that I would be out if we canceled within 30 days is $250. I really think it all depends on who you are renting from through VRBO. Now realty's are a different story.

Would like to hear others past experiences

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:31 pm 

I agree with Deanna. But although companies say you'll receive so much back if the unit is or isn't rented.... how do we know if it has been rented if we have to cancel? There is no way for the renter to prove it. Just a thought.

My brother in law fell off a roof a few years ago, he is a contractor. Was in the hospital for a long time.. Had doctor's note etc as proof that he couldn't travel. Even bought trip insurance.. Finally got some of the money back but had a very long time waiting to get a refund.

Every company has different rules and usually you won't get every penney back.