Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 pm 

Just thought I would share this with you, here's a press release about the new show
http://northmyrtlebeach.wmbfnews.com/ne ... -show-june

Our castle is about the 6th one to convert to the new show, they have been practicing the new show for the last 6 weeks or so 8 hours a day and then performing the old, existing show, at night.

We went last night expecting to see some major changes, not as drastic as Dixie Stampede's which is renamed Pirate's Adventure and the entire building is not recognizable.

Everything looked pretty much the same from the outside and upon entering, right down to the timeshare pitches after having your picture taken. We had the area in the back left reserved for our group, MB Hospitality Association, and were served hors d'oeuvers which consisted of what we thought were frozen pigs in a blanket and little stuffed pastry shells, other offerings were fresh such as chicken and fruit skewers, cheese, olive and tomato skewers and some kind of cheese wrapped in some kind of meat, no one knew, the chicken was the best.

The show is pretty much the same overall, yet starts out with a beautiful champagne colored horse strutting it's stuff and performing very nicely. The music and light show which seemed to go on for too long just does nothing for the show, as for the story line, yes it is different, yet how many of you really recall what the story line was in the old show?

The games are the same and are played by each knight for real, trying to win at each one and they are fun to watch. I realize it is a new show but the jousting and hand to hand combat is a long way from having muscle memory and chorography down, our knight was one of the last two left and he threw his sword up over his head and away at least 2 seconds before the other knight ever struck him, it was so bad that it had people giggling and this was not the first time to hear giggles and snickers due to miss-timing. I think they jumped the gun and should have postponed the new show as they just were not ready, yet I know it will get better as they perform the show and muscle memory takes over.

As for the food, it is pretty much the same starting out with a "new" large seasoned flat bread, tomato bisque then a half baked chicken with the fall off the bone meat (which I thought was smaller, heck the wing had no meat to speak of), the potato wedges are a bit different maybe the seasoning, I thought the rib was smaller and I think it is a different sauce, the apple strudel is still good with just the right amount of stickiness for finger licking as if you have not licked your fingers enough so far :)

Overall if you have not been to the Castle it is good entertainment and you get dinner and almost 2 hours of entertainment for $51 + tax if your 12 and under cost is $31 + tax.

As a side let me say, I noticed people leaving just a few singles for a tip, noticed one family left a whole $5 for 5 of them, the people working and serving you are working harder than a server in a restaurant with longer walks around the castle to get to your seating/table and are carrying heavy trays, please tip accordingly.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:49 pm 

Thanks for the review, Gary.

We're thinking of doing one of the shows this year with the kids. DH and I did Medieval Times back in 1999 on our honeymoon and enjoyed it. We haven't done one with the kids yet. Thoughts on which one for an 8 and 10 year old? DH and I really wouldn't care which, but would appreciate good food!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:23 am 

For the kids at that age, yes go to the Castle, they will enjoy it and make reservations, last Tue I would guess it was at 90% capacity and the season has not kicked in.

Gary