Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:52 am 

Good Vibrations April 20, 2009
I enjoyed this show, but my wasn't as pleased. I'm 55 and she is 69. She didn't know many of the song, so didn't enjoy it as much. The show has songs from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Some of the songs weren't my favorites, but did go along with the era. There was a song from Kiss, Journey, and Fleetwood Mac as well as other less "rockin" kind of music. I enjoyed the show, but I enjoyed the singers and dancers at the Alabama Theatre more. I also enjoyed the variety of music more at Alabama.

Carolina Opry
The pre-show at the Carolina Opry was a pianist. He was very good. I thought the pre-show started at 7:45. We got there at about 7:30 and he was already playing.

The Carolina Opry and Good Vibrations Shows have the same performers. You can purchase a combo ticket for about $58. I bought a small popcorn at this theatre for $3.25. Again, the concession stand sells soda, popcorn, candy and maybe pretzels.

The show was mostly country songs for the first half. My 69 year old friend knew very few of them, so she wasn't impressed. I knew most of them and enjoyed the show. The second half of the show was mostly 50's songs. We both enjoyed the second half. A couple of the performers seemed stiff to me. The banjo player was very good, but didn't seem relaxed. The black fellow was also a very good singer, but didn't seem relaxed. I thought the men should have had clothing more in keeping with 50's during this part of the show. They always wore suits.
I'd give this show and the Good Vibrations Show a thumbs up, but my friend would probably give the Good Vibrations Show a thumbs down and the Carolina Opry Show an ok. If you know the music, you'll probably enjoy both shows.

Post subject: The Carolina Opry
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:55 pm 

Lynda and I went to the Opry on Thursday 30th April and both of us really enjoyed the show. The pre-show was fun, enjoyed most of the main show, the artists are very adaptable and the musicians very talented swopping constantly between instruments. The fiddler was brilliant and I found Gary Brown and Tangena Church easy to listen to. Lynda really enjoyed All That, a group of lads who were new to us but apparently appeared on America's Got Talent. All in all I would see the show again.

This is more than I can say about Good Vibrations which we saw the following evening. Like Bren's friend much of the music whilst being from the 60's, 70's and 80's was stuff that I didn't know and frankly didn't really enjoy. In saying that there were several schools at the theatre and their pupils seem to really go for it; I think it might be a matter of age differential!!

Post subject: Good Vibrations
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:52 am 

My wife & I saw Good Vibrations along with our 20 yr old daughter - we all greatly enjoyed the show. We especially liked their comical "tribute" to Michael Phelps. The talent level here is equal to anything you might find in Vegas, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:08 pm 

Our visit to the Opry was very enjoyable, the show has changed since our last visit and Calvin Gilmore was even on stage and played three numbers. Slick, professional company, good singers, dancers and musicans what more could one want for a good evening's entertainment. Lynda still enjoyed the dancers "All That," see comments on our previous visit.
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:14 pm 

Lynda and I went on Wednesday 25th October just before the changeover to the Christmas Show, theatre almost full. Very good show, it had changed quite a bit from the show we saw in May, music as always excellent and some very good singers and dancers. We enjoyed this more than the show at the Alabama; missed R C Clemmons who we always enjoy, but we went to a show at Socastee High School the following night and he was helping out there in spite of having knee surgery. Nice to see artists giving something back to the community.

peter (Happy Hacker)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:36 pm 

Nice review thank you very much :ac15[1]:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:58 pm 

Went to the Opry on the night of 9/11 and the theatre was full. Again a very good show as you can see from my reports above, we do enjoy musical theatre. Show changed from when we last attended, this year they had a girl called La Toya London who has appeared on American Idol and she was very good, Eric Gumm the comedian had a new act that we enjoyed. Seen the show several times over the years and I am sure we will be going again.
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:09 pm 

Went to see the Good Vibrations Show last Wednesday as it was only $15 if you bought tickets on the night you went to the Opry show. In my report of May 2009 I said I did not enjoy the show, well it has changed, this time we really enjoyed it. The music was good, the singers excellent and the dancers especially All That had the audience clapping and cheering. Well worth going to.
Happy Hacker (Peter)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:36 am 

We must enjoy the Opry (and Good Vibrations,) as we went to both shows yet again, what impressed me this time was the Opry's pre-show with Tangena Church, she has an amazing voice. What can one say they are a very talented group of musicians, singers and dancers; the show does change from time to time and the offer in their programme of seeing a second show for $15 is well worth taking advantage of.