Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carolina Opry: Time Warp
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm 

Carolina Opry: Time Warp | 8901 N Kings Hwy, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572 | https://www.thecarolinaopry.com

My dad was interested in seeing the Time Warp show, which features music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. My family and I hadn’t been here for at least 8-9 years. We’ve enjoyed many shows here over the years. The staff we encountered were friendly. One thing that kind of bothered me were the time share people trying to get you to come over to their booth when you buy tickets and when you get to the show. I came to be entertained, not be hounded for a condo. I will say that they were polite and not aggressive, but it’s still incredibly annoying. We were given a program with local ads and coupons, a map of the grand strand, and information and photos of the performers and crew.

We sat in section G, row 8. We could see the show with no problems. Their seats were redone in 2014. The seats were really comfortable and the arm rests had cup holders on each side. I sat in an aisle seat and one of my art rests was able to go up, so if you need more room, you’ve got it. The seats slightly reclined as well, but they don’t get in the way of the person sitting behind you. There is so much leg room with the seating as well. Someone can comfortably walk by to their seat without you getting up.

The show started at 6:53, with a pre-show of some of the performers singing some songs. Their harmonies and voices were great. The main show started with the song “Time Warp” from the cult classic Rocky Horror Picture Show. The audience skewed older (mostly 60s+), which leads me to believe about 80% of the audience did not know where the song was from. The first half of the show was a mix of 60s, 70s, and 80s. There was a comedy bit and tap dancing in there as well. The audience wasn’t all that enthusiastic and I kind of felt bad for the performers. Barely anyone in front of us clapped after the performances. They were a bunch of stick in the muds! A lot of the 70s and 80s songs were hard rock. Some of the women performers screeched their hard rock songs and it was honestly hard to listen to, especially the Janis Joplin song “Me and Bobby McGee". Screaming is not singing. It’s not that they had terrible voices — they didn’t — I think they were trying to emulate the original singers of the songs they covered instead of putting their own spin on it, and it didn’t work out. Those women sang beautiful on the other songs, though.

The intermission lasted about 20 minutes. My dad got a popcorn and water. The popcorn was good.

The entire second half of the show is Woodstock. When the second act began, the performers started to transform the stage into Woodstock. Several of the singers formed a semi circle of chairs. They were donned in their Woodstock attire. The dancers sat on the piano swaying to the music. One performer would get up, sing part of a song and sit down. The next performer would get up, sing their song and sit down. Repeat a dozen times. I think they lost the audience by doing this. I could see the audience getting restless. I love songs from that era but having them for the entire second act wasn’t a good choice.

The performers were good. Honestly, some had stronger voices than others, but they all had great stage presence and energy. It takes guts to get up on stage and perform, so I’ll give them that. Delvin Choice (who appeared in seasons 5 and 6 of The Voice) was incredible. His voice is insane. The dancers were talented as well, but I honestly don’t think they were needed for this show. You are allowed to take photos, including flash photography.

Overall, we’d return to the Carolina Opry, but we wouldn’t go back to this show unless they did a complete overhaul. Ditch the Woodstock change for the entire second act. I’d leave in Woodstock, but then I’d go back to the 60s, 70s, and 80s songs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. Well done, with thoughtful comments.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall