Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:09 am 

We took the 3-1/2 hour fishing trip using the coupons that are in the Sunny Day Guide. They are also in the Monster book.

We were asked to arrive by 8:00 am for the 8:30 am trip. We were on the Super Voyager III, which is their largest boat with seating around the outside, there is an indoor cabin and an upper deck. There are flushable toilets, but it is a fishing boat so there aren't many ammenities, like soap.

This trip departs from 1525 13th Ave North in North Myrtle Beach. They do take credit cards to pay for the trip, but it's only cash on board. You are permitted to bring coolers and your own drinks/snacks. Tackle and salted pork are provided, but if you want to fish for the more aggresive fish, you will want to buy fresh bait. I think it was Mackeral and cost $5 a bag. We used 2 bags between the four of us.

We did leave the dock about 20 minutes late due to some late arriving passengers. It takes about an hour to get out to the open water, but it's a nice ride. We had to wait on the swing bridge which was really kind of cool to watch.

We made about 6-8 drifts once we started fishing. The sea bass were hitting like crazy! Of course now it's off season for them so we couldn't keep what we caught. I probably caught at least 12-15 (I lost count) sea bass, and also caught a porgie and pin fish. There were 3 sharks caught, and those were about 3-4 feet long. Someone also caught an octopus.

Derek and Bob were the crew guys and they were awesome. They showed everyone how to use the tackle, baited hooks and took the fish off for you - which they prefered to do probably for safety reasons.

We arrived back at the dock around 1:30, which is later than normal. This time of year they are only doing the morning trip, so return time was not as big a deal.

Honestly, I was a little concerned when I read some of the reviews on TA - but as usual, you have to take those reviews lightly. We were very happy with the entire experince. For $35 each, it was a great time and we would likely do it again.

Tips for the next trip - be sure you have cash with you. Most everything is $5 flat rate, fresh bait, etc. They also have a "fish pool" for largest catch, most fish caught, and they pass a bucket around for tips at end of the trip. Don't forget the sunscreen and a hat! Unless you like the smell of diesel fuel, don't sit near the back of the boat. Even when you are fishing, the boat still idles. Hand sanitizer might be a good thing to bring along too.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for this review, Jan. I really enjoyed reading it. I found two websites...one of them said Super Voyager and the other was just Voyager. Since they link to each other, I figure they are owned by the same operation.

We have never done a fishing tour. As close as got was an all-day shrimp boat ride in April for the Blessing of the Fleet at Shem Creek. ( Friends own the boat and there was no fishing that day.) Did anyone catch fish that they actually took off the boat for dinner, or did everyone throw them back? Did you see any dolphins? I'm sure you got some photos, and I'm looking forward to them.

Your suggestions were excellent. For instance, I would never have thought about bringing my own soap or sanitizer on board.

Thanks again. It sounds like a lot of fun!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:57 am 

Thanks for the review. I was pleasantly surprised at the cost and your tips would be very helpful. Something to keep on mind for the future.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:29 pm 

Thanks for that review! I would also be interested in hearing if anyone took any fish home with them! My husband is a big fisherman and wants to try a trip next year.

~Kari~

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 pm 

You can keep what you catch provided the fish are large enough to be considered keepers and if they are in season. They will even clean and filet them if you like...probably an additional charge though. The sharks were even considered keepers and the crew said they are good to eat if cooked correctly.

Vacation pics 2014