Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 am 

We enjoyed Cap'n Rod's Lowcountry Tours out of Georgetown. We needed to board by 9:00 am so we left Longs around 7:30 and we just made it! It was a bit of a hike but worth it. We opted for the Shell Island/Lighthouse cruise that was about 4 hours and $30 pp. Please see my trip report for photos viewtopic.php?f=68&t=14608

The ride out to the island took about an hour and while cruising Cap'n Rod explained the history of the area and all the sights we were to see. The water was calm and the ride easy. We got to the island and were told to be back to the boat by 11:30. The Cap'n said to walk pass the jetty to find the best shells. We did..almost everyone did. The shells were mostly oyster shells but it was still fun. The only drawback was it was a lot of awkward walking. I mean I guess you could of just stayed on the boat or right near the docked boat but there wasn't much there. The walk to the jetty we found out later was 1.5 miles and we all went past that. So we all walked about 4 miles total up sand dunes, through, rising tides, and rocks. The amount of walking wasn't the problem I think it was more of the conditions you had to walk through. It was fun though. The island seemed like it's own entity. Barren, white washed, and albeit a bit eerie. After the tour we headed back for about another hour or so ride along a different path. We got to see the dolphins swimming along with us and even a gator or two. We passed the lighthouse but couldn't get off.
The Cap'n did talk quite a bit and it was very informative. If your looking for a peaceful quiet cruise through the waters this is not the tour for you. We are glad we did it and I would recommend it for those looking for an adventure of sorts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:35 pm 

We decided to try something different this year, and gave up a day to drive to Georgetown for “Cap’n Rod’s Lowcountry Tours. Frankly… it’s one of the best things we’ve ever done on a Myrtle Beach trip. We did the Shell Island/ Lighthouse tour, and would recommend it to anyone of any age.

The tour time is based upon the tides (it’s either a 4 hour morning tour or a 4 hour evening tour). We were fortunate enough to get a morning tour last Friday that departed at 9:00 am. The drive from our hotel on Shore Drive took about 1 hour and 15 minutes. And it’s a beautiful drive for those of you who don’t venture south towards Huntington Beach, Litchfield, and Pawley’s Island.

This is a popular tour, and sells out quickly (we didn’t get the day we preferred because it was sold out, and our tour was also sold out). The price is $35 per person, and you can get a $2 off coupon in any of the coupon books. And I’ll tell you… it’s worth every penny.

The boat is a pontoon and has a small restroom. They sell concessions (drinks and snacks, all $1). All of the money collected from the concessions goes to a charity in Georgetown County. It’s a very smooth and easy ride, and very comfortable even on a hot day like we had.

The tour starts off with a one hour trip through Winyah Bay. Cap’n Rod is very funny, very personable, and very knowledgeable. He made sure that we were the first boat to Shell Island, and he gave us 90 minutes to explore. We found many conch shells and other beautiful shells on a very pristine beach. It was fantastic.

Upon boarding the boat for the return, Cap’n Rod takes you up the other side of the Bay and shows you areas of old forts, plantations, and many other historical places. He also took us to see wild Gators, dolphins, pelicans, and many others.

It truly was 4 hours and we truly got our money’s worth.

http://www.lowcountrytours.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for this review! loved reading it and especially appreciate the time it took to get all the photos uploaded.

The walking part might be too much for some people, but in order to get the most out of the trip, it sounds like must-do.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. The photos tell the story!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:23 am 

Thank you so much for the review and pictures...now I REALLY want to do this...a must for our next trip!!!