Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:23 pm 

So, we are coming the first week of August. A HOT time to visit, I know. But that's when we're having our bathroom renovated, so we need to be out of the house for a week.

We'll be coming from Ohio and making a 2-3 night stop in the Wilkesboro area of NC to visit family. We'll probably visit a cousin in Asheville one night, and explore the BRP some.

Based on TA reviews, what we're wanting, and our budget, I've narrowed our hotels down to 2. Dayton House and BW Carolinian.

Originally, we were going to come the second week of August (8/11-8/15). But my husband changed his mind and decided the first week would suit his work schedule better (8/4-8/8). DH gave us a great rate for a 4 night stay originally. I was 95% sure I wanted to stay at DH. But when I bumped the dates up by a week, their rate increased by about $120 total. Stings a little. We wanted to stay in the $700 (+/- $30) range for 4 nights.

So I checked Carolinian. Their rates do not change between the two date ranges. Hmmmm. So now I'm in a conundrum. My husband, who is notoriously stingy, wants to go with the cheaper of the two, Carolinian.

Pros of DH: Variety of pools (beach entry, recently renovated lazy river, indoor/outdoor, plus hot tubs), the lawn area with the umbrellas, rooms seem more updated, slightly better reviews on TA, full kitchens in every room, family owned, poolside cafe.
Cons of DH: Rates went up, room in our price range was only a side view. I asked and they will NOT price match with Carolinian. Their rate for their "West Building" is in our price range, but who wants to go to the beach and it on a balcony after the kids go to sleep and look at a parking lot?

Pros of Carolinian: Rates, room in our price range is oceanfront with a great view, kitchenette, free mini-golf, free Wild Water & Wheels admission, children's programs.
Cons of Carolinian: Only 2 pools (outside & lazy river, plus hot tubs), not as great reviews on TA, rooms don't seem as updated.

So. Do I suck it up and pay the extra for DH? Do I not pay the extra and stay in the least desirable building at DH? Or do I just go with Carolinian instead?

Thanks for the input!!

What's round on the ends and high in the middle? O-HI-O

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:53 pm 

Having never stayed at either of the places you are interested in, my personal research would leave me at the Carolinian. The DH is old and outdated. Plus, if you can have oceanfront accommodations at the Carolinian but not the DH, that in itself would sell me on the BWC. Just my opinion.

On a side note, one of the worst things you can possibly do is read reviews on Trip Advisor. The website is a farce and littered with chronically unhappy travelers who are expecting 5 diamond service on a two STAR budget. Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:57 pm 

Yeah, they certainly can be. I'm a Destination Expert on TA for Sandusky, OH. I wish there was more forum participation on TA MB, that's for sure!

Alas, it looks like I may be back to the drawing board.

For the 2 queen bed room I want at Carolinian, they are telling me it is against their "fire code" to have more than 4 people. Which means our littlest one in a pack n play will be one person too many. I will HAVE to go with a larger, more pricey room if I want to stay there.

What they don't know is that my husband is a firefighter and inspector for a metropolitan department here in Ohio, and well trained in what fire codes allow, and who dictates them. I do NOT appreciate being duped into a larger room because it is what their "fire codes" allow.

My search continues!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

We had a review from last June on Dayton House:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=14366

And here's some information that mentions BW Carolinian
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11021&p=74508&hilit=carolinian#p74508

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:52 pm 

Strange, but when we first started coming to MB we stayed at DH. Then the same thing happened to us. We never went back been staying at Ocean Reef for years. BUT the last time we were there the manager was embarrassingly rude. We are registered to stay there in sept. But we WILL find another hotel in the future. We are reading all hotel reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:07 pm 

So I totally didn't book with either of these. For a better rate, we have a gorgeous, privately owned condo at Caravelle!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...So I totally didn't book with either of these...

I am truly laughing out loud! Good for you! Did you book through VRBO or HomeAway? I understand they are both popular places to book and have a good reputation.

I am absolutely no help when people are looking for a place to stay, and that was what motivated me to start this forum. We never stay anywhere, although we do visit friends when they are here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 pm 

Homeaway. Caravelle is having a really good sale right now for the summer, 30% off. And the grounds are SO nice. But, we really can't sleep in full size beds. I mean, our kids can, but my husband is 6'4 and 220 lbs, and 5'10 and XXX lbs (lol). If we only had fulls, he'd have his own and I'd have to bunk with one of the kids. So I hunted down a 3 night minimum, updated, condo that sleeps 6 at Caravelle with a king bed!!! It took a while, and it's a touch more expensive than booking the same room through Caravelle right now. BUT Caravelle didn't offer king beds at our price range.

So, I'm happy. No, I'm giddy! I wish we could stay longer!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing that information. It may be helpful to others reading this board.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm 

We used to stay at the Dayton house when I was kid and I obviously didn't mind. One of my last couple trips, we checked it out for nostalgia's sake. Oh my.. it's kind of dumpy! I'm sure it'd work in a pinch, but I couldn't believe how dated it looked! Glad you found a great deal elsewhere!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:11 am 

We have stayed at the Dayton House several times and I love the location but after reading this I am ready to do some research on some other places for our September trip.

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers Resort
2003-Compass Cove
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove
2014-Breakers Resort

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:38 pm 
Forum Support

blgpts wrote:
Strange, but when we first started coming to MB we stayed at DH. Then the same thing happened to us. We never went back been staying at Ocean Reef for years. BUT the last time we were there the manager was embarrassingly rude. We are registered to stay there in sept. But we WILL find another hotel in the future. We are reading all hotel reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a bummer to hear about Ocean Reef. I loved my last stay there a few years ago. The area is so lovely. Guess I should seriously look for other options as we may finally be coming back next year.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Melissa:
...as we may finally be coming back next year...

:wav: