Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sands Resorts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:26 am 

I am planning a trip next year with my husband, 2 sons(ages 2 and 6) and my in laws. I really like Ocean Reef right now but, love that the Sands Resorts give you activities included such as water parks, family kingdom, sea cruises, golf, etc. The reviews for Sands Resorts are not very good on tripadvisor though. Has anyone stayed at either Sands Ocean Club or Sand Dunes? I am looking for input on these before we book because I really do feel it is a great deal if this stuff is included in your stay. Sea Mist also looks like a great deal but, those reviews scare the heck out of me!

Post subject: Re: Sands Resorts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:35 am 

We've stayed at the Sands Ocean Club, the Ocean Dunes (Sands property, next door to Sand Dunes), and the Sea Mist. We enjoyed all three properties. I can't read the reviews on TripAdvisor anymore for any hotel. Some of the reviews are posted by employees of competing hotels, and simply aren't true.

The Sands Ocean Club is in a very nice area on Shore Drive, which is quieter and less crowded. It is an older property, and the rooms are clean but a little outdated. They have the Ocean Annie's Beach Bar with live music constantly, an outdoor pool and lazy river, and an indoor pool. Your stay includes access to the Waterpark at the Sand Dunes, but that is a long drive just to go down some slides. It's a nice place, but the Ocean Reef would be nicer.

The Sea Mist has a nice waterpark, play area, arcade and miniature golf course. The family package that includes the Family Kingdom Amusement Park and the Family Kingdom Waterpark is well worth the money. The Sea Mist is made up of multiple buildings on both sides of Ocean Boulevard, with a tunnel to get you across the street safely. The rooms are not fancy, and some of the smaller buildings were older hotels with outdated rooms. To be frank... it's not the Marriott. And it would not be as nice as the Ocean Reef. But don't let the bad reviews on TripAdvisor scare you away. Plenty of hotels on the southern end of the beach in competition with each other, and plenty of people to plant horrible reviews to hurt another property.

The Sand Dunes looks like a great resort, and is certainly in a great area. But it always looks so crowded to me. There are other properties in that same area including the Long Bay Resort, which has a good water play area. We also stay in that area at Monterey Bay Suites, which has several pools indoor and outdoor, with a kid's water play area. http://www.montereybaysuites.com/ It was recommended to us by a board member (Karen, who goes by kish73). This summer was our third visit to Monterey Bay Suites, and we really like the property. The price is amazing for what you get. Here is a link to a report I did on the hotel after our stay last summer: http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12669

I do think you'd be happier in the northern end of the beach (65th to 75th Avenue North). Good luck, and enjoy your visit.

Scott