Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 pm 

I'll be working in MB once a month and I'm trying to find an affordable place to spend just one night a month. I have to pay for my own accomodations, so it's important that I find a VERY reasonable price. The first time I stayed at the Super 8. The room smelled musty, it was noisy and too small for tht furniture. It was only $35 in January. Last month I stayed at a loarger resort/hotel on the beach, and it cost me $50. The rates go up every day, it seems, and by the time summer gets here, it will be costing me half of what I make just for a place to sleep! Aren't there any less expensive options?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:39 am 

Do you prefer to stay in "downtown" Myrtle Beach ? Or are you open to places North/South ? Or perhaps West (Conway) ? (i.e. - across the Intercoastal)

Is this for a single night mid-week ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 am 
Site Admin

The rates are going up at all MB accommodations due to the season and the fact that MB is a resort destination.

You might consider staying in Conway which is about a 30 minute drive from Myrtle Beach. I googled "conway, sc motels" (without the quotes) and came up with Comfort Suites, Best Western, Sleep Inn, Days Inn, etc. The prices/taxes are a much less. You could also search other areas outside the MB area such as Longs or Little River.

Hope others will provide more suggestions, and that something will work out for you!

Edit: Just noticed Kirk's post! (Great minds and all that.....LOL

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:54 am 

Hmmm.... perhaps we both had the same coffee blend this morning :nanner:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 am 
Forum Support

http://www.hotelcoupons.com/hotels/sout ... ate/page/1
^
They have hotel coupons for "walk-ins" When we travel we normally get the book version at like Denny's or at the travel stops. Not sure if you are able to get your hands on a book. They normally have even better coupons in the print version.

You could also stay out by the Myrtle Beach Speedway. If you stay at the sleep inn and are (you can easily become one for free) you can save 15-20% by booking with your rewards number. Plus after so many stays, you get a free night.

Another suggestion would be to call and talk to a manager. Tell them your situation and they might give you a deal. Especially if they know you'll be a steady customer. They do that around here where I live, but MB might be different since its a touristy place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 pm 

Yes, this is for just one night a month, and, I can arrange it so that it's during the week. I do have to go to Conway. I will check those out, thanks. I'm even considering parking at the Super WalMart and sleeping in my car! I have a station wagon and a blow-up mattress! Also considering campgrounds, but they get real expensive during the season, too! I'll be paying out half of what I'm taking in ...or more! It may be cheaper to drive back to Charleston and return the next day...except for the price of gas going so high! Right now, I'm just concerned about Thursday night. I will probably stay in Conway if it's cheaper.

Thanks for your help.

~Denise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:13 pm 

Thanks, I will also try Longs and Little River.

~Denise

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:17 pm 

I am a member of AARP (just joined to save $10 at Best Western tomorrow night). I will look for the coupons in Denny's. I remember Shoney's having them in their lobby, too. I can always do like you said and talk to the manager to see if I can get a better price, too. Since I won't be arriving until after 7:00, they will probably be glad to get one of their empty rooms rented out at any reasonable rate. Thanks!

~Denise