Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:36 pm 

Our family has a bit of a dilemma with our upcoming beach trip in August. We are booked at the Bay Watch Resort through Elliott Realty for the week of August 13th - 20th. When we booked our trip back in February the county school system that my daughter attends had Monday, August 22nd as the first day of school. Well, now they have changed the opening day to Friday, August 19th. They say that the State Board of Education made them change due to a special election for Governor that we will be having in October. I won't get on my soap box here and let you know what I think about the Board's decision and how I think they could have handled it better. My daughter will be entering her last year of middle school and doesn't really want to miss the first day.

As a consequence, we are thinking of trying to come down on Friday, August 12th and stay one night before our regular reservation kicks in. This will give us all day Saturday to enjoy the beach since we will probably leave late afternoon/early evening the following Thursday in order to be back for the first day of school. Does anyone know of any nice/clean oceanfront hotels or resorts that accept one night stays in the summer? I don't think location really matters, but I would choose North Myrtle if available since that is where we will be staying for the week. I realize we may have to stay a block over from the beach, but I'd like to exhaust all oceanfront possibilities before booking. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:18 pm 

In the past I have never had a hard time finding a place the day of my stay. Sometimes we decide to head down a day early and stop for a meal in North Carolina, we come from NY, and from the restaurant I find a hotel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:53 pm 

You can usually walk in most hotels that don't have the no vacancy light on and get a pretty good deal for a night if negotiate a little.

I know your planning to stay in NMB but if you are thinking about trying another part of the Strand in the future you could use this as a 1 day trial to see if you really do like that area before you commit to a week and find out it's not what you really like.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:20 pm 

Maybe a mile north of BayWatch. Best Western Ocean Sands. Not sure what their summer requirements are but we stayed there for a night on one of our May trips.
We were happy with a small one bedroom. Continental breakfast wasn't too bad. Filled up on waffles and cereral before hittimg beach.

Not oceanfront but did a one nighter during summer trip at Little River Holiday Inn. Very nice mid range accomodations. Sits on a marina. Nice views. Nice restuarant on site. Didn't do dinner there but had great omelets for breakfast.
We booked a two room suite. Much nicer and cheaper than two motel rooms. Living room with fold out and seperate bedroom. Small kitchen.

If you do settle for something away from oceanfront you can spend your beach day at end of Sea Mountain or Main Street. Public parking, restrooms and short walk to lunch and AC.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:52 pm 

I would try to book through the Bay Watch directly. Then you won't have far to move.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 pm 

Thanks for the replies so far. I did look at booking through Bay Watch directly, but they require a 2 night minimum stay. I'll look at your suggestions Alan. Thanks again.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:14 am 
Site Admin

Alan, we've stayed at the Holiday Inn in Little River also and were quite happy with it. As a matter of fact, we will be arriving a day early to the Grand Strand and booked a night at the Hoiliday Inn again. Only paid $67 a night per room.