Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:32 am 

We finally talked some folks into traveling with us on our annual MB trip in September and we're really excited for them to finally see how much fun it is. I'm trying to find a nice, affordable hotel in the area of the Boardwalk and am wondering if anyone can offer any insight into any of these:

1. Windsurfer Hotel (210 North Ocean Blvd)

2. Sandcastle Oceanfront (1802 North Ocean Blvd)

3. Holiday Inn at the Pavilion (1200 North Ocean Blvd)

4. Palmetto Shores (1706 North Ocean Blvd)

We've stayed at the Breakers in the past and found it to be nice, but I've noticed their prices rising a lot, and now for the same type of room we stayed in it's actually several hundred dollars more expensive. I'd love to find a place that's clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Any thoughts on these hotels or suggestions of others would be hugely appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 am 

We stayed at the Sandcastle one night last October and I can honestly say it was the worst hotel we've ever stayed at in Myrtle Beach! Very outdated room, mold growing on the walls, bedding was disgusting. There was one sticky little table and 2 chairs in the room. The pool area was just nasty - from our room we could look down at the lazy river and it was so cloudy you couldn't see the kids legs when they were in the water. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:32 am 

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking to avoid - thanks! We stayed at Holiday Sands North last year, and it was the same thing, dirty pools, mildew in the bathrooms - very disappointing!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:44 pm 

I have personally stayed in or attempted to stay in three of the hotels on your list.

The Sandcastle North is a dump and we checked in, went up stairs and then made them transfer us to their South beach hotel. Sandcastle South Beach is where we usually stay when we make our summer trip to MB.

We have stayed in Windsurfer a few times over the last 15 years and found it to be a good clean basic hotel. We liked the rooms with the separate bedroom which gives you at least a little privacy if you have others in the room with you.

We have stayed a few times in the Holiday Inn and it also was a good clean Motel as long as you stay in the newer main building. Also they serve a free continental breakfast or at least they did as of the last time we stayed there.

We also have stayed in the new Oceans One which is at the south end of the boardwalk. The rooms are really nice and the views are killer (lots of glass walls) but they are really expensive in the summer so we usually save this place for our fall trips to MB.

Hope this helps!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:18 pm 

Very helpful, thanks! So I guess the Sandcastle so far is 0 for 2, will probably scratch that one off our list!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 pm 

I have never stayed at the Sandcastle personally but heard from a friend who did that it was filthy.

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:15 pm 

It's too bad, because from the street the Sandcastle looks like it could be a pretty nice hotel, and the location is great. But the consensus seems to be it's not very clean.

Can anyone refresh my memory as to what other hotels are located between around 200 and 2300 North Ocean Blvd (basically from The Breaker south to the 2nd Ave Pier)?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:04 pm 

I'm bumping this up. Trying to talk hubby into a 4 or 5 day trip to mb in Sept. would like something ocean front, does not have to be on the boardwalk, could even be North Myrtle area.

Definitely want something clean, doesn't have to be fancy, can be basic, but nice.

Suggestions?

Ocean Isle Beach, with visits to MB
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008 AND 2010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

10 hotels near the Boardwalk (from myrtlebeach.com)
http://www.myrtlebeach.com/blog/post/10 ... boardwalk/

Myrtle Beach Boardwalk Hotels:
http://www.myrtlebeachboardwalkhotels.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:33 pm 

Sue, we have stayed at the Bayview Resort a few times and have been very pleased. It is a fairly new facility, definitely less than five years old. They run pretty good specials, we have always rented a one bedroom condo. It is very nice with a washer and dryer, nice living area, full kitchen with granite countertops. We were there in April and since it was off season I think we paid about $60. a night on a special promotion offer. They do not have an outside pool but there are nice chaises, etc. outdoors. Indoor pool and lazy river are nice. Starbucks attached to the hotel. It is a few blocks from the 2nd ave. Pier. If you have any questions about this facility let me know. Just thought of another drawback, parking is about a block away.

Judy/Pigeon Forge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:52 am 

Great links Patrish - thanks as always!!
Some of these places look really nice, but then they get some very bad reviews, here and on tripadvisor.com, etc - I'll definitely be doing some research on all of them. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me!

Thanks again!