Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:01 pm 

First time visitors to the beach and I need to know where to stay, not just the name of a hotel but the best area. It will just be myself and my husband in the middle of August. I would like to stay busy when we are there and experience the city, not just the beach. Any information about where to stay and what to do during our visit would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Due to the way the Grand Strand is laid out, with 60 miles of shore line, some driving will be involved, no matter where you stay. Many visitors have a "favorite" area, for a wide variety of reasons.

Starting at the north end is the City North Myrtle Beach One of the North Strand's many delights is Barefoot Landing, a top-ranked tourist attraction. Cherry Grove, just south of Little River, is one of several communities that compose North Myrtle Beach. It has its share of new high rises, oceanfront condominiums and motels, but away from the ocean you'll find rows of houses on pilings lining serpentine channels and inlets. Many Cherry Grove residents and tourists handpick this section of the Strand because they relish the joys of catching, cleaning and cooking their own seafood.

The City of Myrtle Beach offers a solid line of accommodations - some large, some small., mini golf, restaurants, shops, entertainment and activities, including the Myrtle Beach Ripley's Believe It or Not! Museum and the new Boardwalk and big Sky Wheel. Beginning around 32nd Avenue N., and heading north, there is an exclusive residential district where permanent and summer residents coexist with beautiful, homes. From 52nd Avenue northward to the city limits, motels and condominiums dominate the beachfront. On 21st Avenue N., between Oak Street and the Bypass, you will find Broadway At The Beach, one of the most significant developments at Myrtle Beach during the past decade. The newest shopping center is Coastal Grand Mall. The Market Common is located on the former Air Force Base in the City of Myrtle Beach. The Air Force Base closed 1993. Now The Market Common is a self-contained live-work community featuring upscale shops, restaurants, apartments and singe family homes.

The South Strand includes Surfside Beach, Garden City Beach, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield Beach and Pawleys Island. This area offers a more leisurely pace and lifestyle, with less neon and glitter as well as a low key nightlife with just as much allure. Many praise this stretch of land, with its rich marshland, uninhabited beaches, bountiful inlets. Fishing in the creeks and waterways of Murrells Inlet has been a way of life for generations, and the small community trumpets itself as the Seafood Capital of South Carolina. Best known for its seafood restaurants, Murrells Inlet also is home to the lovely MarshWalk.

I hope this helps in deciding which area best suits you.

Since we live here, I really can't recommend accommodations. We recently talked to friends who have been staying at the Marriott Resort in Grand Dunes since it opened, and absolutely loved the resort and the location. The beach is a wider on the north end of the city of Myrtle Beach, and it's more quiet than in the city. But then again, we also know people who always rent a beach house in the Surfside/Garden City area. They don't really like high-rises, and they enjoy small-town feel the area offers.

Here's my page of accommodations, located by area. I suggest you pick a location, and a few places to stay, then come back here and ask for specific recommendations.
http://funbeaches.com/condos_rentals.html

As for things to do, here's another page I put together.
http://www.funbeaches.com/to_do.html

Be sure to read the restaurant reviews on the board, too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 am 

Very nice Patrish... :notworthy: Thats why your are leader, can always count on you for the best info.... :beerchug:

Monteray Bay -2011
Surfside Beach House- 2013

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, John. I think we all know how confusing this area can be to first-time visitors. Lots of people still don't know there's a City of North Myrtle Beach and can't figure out why they can't find the address they're looking for on South Ocean Blvd.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:05 pm 

I had a friend that had that problem. She was looking for the Seadip on north Ocean Blvd and thought that was in North Myrtle Beach. Was she ever embarrassed

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album