Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:49 pm 

Hi All,

So per my previous post regarding the Dunes Village, we booked an oceanfront deluxe king studio for Agust 20 - 27, 2011.

I made sure to book before April 30, 2011 to take advantage of the "free summer nights" promotion they have on. I made our reservations on April 29, 2011. From previous experience booking before May 1 always was a better rate.

Low and behold I was on their web site today and now they are offering a "resort explorer package". The very same room is now $107.10 cheaper for the week!! :cry:

Of course, the new special does not apply to exisiting reservations, and if I want to cancel and re-book to take advantage of the new special, I will need to pay a 10% cancellation fee!

Frustrating at best! :BandHead:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

That doesn't seem fair to me, so I did some research. I would contact one or both of these references and point out that while $107. may not seem like a huge amount to Dunes Village, it makes a difference to your family. Tell them it will probably mean one less meal at a Myrtle Beach restaurant, or one less evening entertainment venue that you might have otherwise enjoyed while visiting the Grand Strand.

You can contact Dunes Village directly and voice your complaint by phone or in writing:
Mr Harold Barrett
5200 N. Ocean Blvd.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Phone: (843) 449-5275
(800) 648-3539

You can also contact The Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce and Ethics committee:

The Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce and Ethics committee can be made aware of your experience.
All visitor complaints should be directed in writing to the Ethics Committee. Complaints sent by e-mail require a physical address so that copies of written correspondence between the Ethics Committee and the business may be provided to you. The Ethics Review Committee is a joint committee of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce and the Myrtle Beach Area Hospitality Association, working cooperatively to maintain ethical business standards in the Grand Strand community. The Ethics Committee provides a forum for opportunities to improve service and your experience while visiting the Myrtle Beach area. Please forward letters of complaint to: Ethics Committee, c/o MBACC, P.O. Box 2115, MB, SC, 29578. You might also wish to contact the the Better Business Bureau, 2501 N. Kings Hwy., Unit 76, MB, SC, 29577 and/or the SC Office of Consumer Affairs, P.O. Box 5757, Columbia, SC, 29250.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:34 pm 

Gillian, come on don;t let this new and larger discount get you down, you made a reservation and was happy with your choice, don;'t let this little thing upset you.

There are people who will be staying there that paid more than you and you will be happy that you got the deal you did.

Airlines change the rates constantly, it's just business, trying to take advantage of filling seats and or beds.

Be thankful you and your family are going to take a vacation, how many of your neighbors, family and friends may not be this year?

Enjoy the beach and smile

Gary

"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and
90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you...
we are in charge of our Attitudes."
-Charles R. Swindoll

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:41 pm 

Gary,

This must be a female thing....I wouldn't let it get me down but I am fighter for the best deal. It may not make a difference but I would call and plead my case. We always book our condo in January and it just flies all over me when I have this one particular friend who calls two weeks before we go and gets a fantastic deal. I always look at it like this...if I get them down it's a new pair of shoes for me :nanner: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 pm 

I have bought many things over the years and prices always change, sometimes I buy low and sometimes high, if I wanted it and I was happy with the purchase, so be it.

Are you going to go back to the car dealer because your friend saved $1500 for the same car as you?

I understand the thought that one may feel they were taken advantage of because something is less money now than when it was bought, but it happens and it happens all the time.

I just went to the grocery store and all the spices I filled up on last week, I replenshed about 15 bottles/jars, are all on sale at Food Lion, am I going to tell them I want $15 back because I bought them last week?

Just trying to say, there are bigger things in life that you could be concerned with :) and that's biz

Smile and stay well

Gary

It is not what happens to you but how you think about what happens to you that determines how you feel and react. It is not the world outside of you that dictates your circumstances or conditions. It is the world inside you that creates the conditions of your life.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:30 pm 

I have to agree with .....................Gary! I'm the same Gary. I buy things and a week, month,or a year goes buy and prices go down. That's life. And no, I am not wealthy and do not have money to throw away. I always say that money I did not save by not getting a deal isn't going to make or break me. And yes, I have had to deal with more important things in my life ... major catastrophes so this is trivial to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:07 pm 

If it makes you feel better i wanted to go down for an extra day and stay at the dunes.We had made reservations in Feb for the second week in July for 7 nights for a 3 bedroom condo and the rate was 460 a night.I called today and the wanted $720 for one night needless to say i wont be spending an extra day at Myrtle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:42 pm 

Just think of it this way....

I booked mine early when it was % off. It is a great deal I think for what I got it for. A month after that deal there was a cheaper deal. I too was bummed out.

We have to have oceanfront and we really want (almost have to have) 2 rooms, bedroom seperate from living area by the kitchen and bath so that Wifey and I can put away the parenting badges when the kids go to bed and relax a little (Disneyworld we were forced to go to bed when the kids did because the room was the size of a closet, basically 2 beds and the bathroom with no more space.....)

I looked a month later and there was another deal. I don't know if it was better or not because there was no more availability. So, you could end up being in the boat of losing availability if you try to play the odds that a better deal may come up later.