Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:10 pm 

Hi All,

We have narrowed down our choices and I think we have decided on returning to Dunes Village for our vacation in August. :lol:

We are debating the style of room to book. A few questions for those who have stayed before:

1. Has anyone utilized the murphy bed or sofa beds in the room? We were thinking of booking the oceanfront deluxe king studio as there will only be 4 of us and were going to have the kids use the sofa bed. Are they comfortable, quality beds?

2. We were last at the Dunes in 2007 and the new tower was still under construction at the time. Which is the newer of the two towers? Palmetto or Palms?

3. Does it really make a differencer which tower you stay in? Are both pool areas easily accessible from the main floors?

Thank you for any inforamtion in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:47 am 

We stayed in a room with a Murphy bed and were very pleasantly surprised at how thick the mattress was. I expected a foam slab but it was about 8 to 12 inches thick and very comfortable. I can't speak to the sofa bed as we either didn't have one or didn't use it if we did (never even checked).

I'm not sure which tower is newer. We stayed in the one on the left as you look at the complex from the road (on the right as you look at it from the ocean).

It's very easy to leave one building's pool area, walk across the little parking lot and enter the other building's pool area. Both are nice in their own way, with different amenities. We stayed in the winter so we didn't use any of the outside water areas but they're easily accessible also.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:32 pm 

If I had the option of a sofa bed or a murphy bed I would choose a murphy bed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:41 pm 

No specific experience with Dunes, but have stayed at various resorts (in MB and elsewhere) and sofa beds are... pretty miserable. The murphy's are typically mattress/boxspring combos and very comfortable for a "hidden" bed.

Perhaps if a lightweight youngster sleeping in the sofa, no worries... but an adult would be challenged for more than a night.

Good Luck !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:34 pm 

The Palmetto building is the original and the palms is the new one. We stayed in both buildings and i prefer the original building over the new one... I like both waterparks for the kids and the new building has better hot tubs and 2 big slides which are fun...

And we used the murphy bed a couple times and also thought they were comfortable..

Monteray Bay -2011
Surfside Beach House- 2013

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:53 pm 

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies. :wav:

We went ahead and made our reservations yesterday at the Dunes Village for August 20 - 27, 2011, wanted to be sure to make our reservations by April 30 to take advantage of the free summer nights promotion.

We booked the oceanfront deluxe king studio. There are 4 of us, and I'm hoping the sofa bed is comfortable for the kids - ages 5 and 8. The oceanfront deluxe king studio comes with a sofa bed, not a murphy bed. I think I might pack our double air mattress and bring that along as well in case the sofa bed is not all that comfortable.

We are all excitied now that the reservations are made!! :sunny: Makes it official.

Now it's time to start planning - where to eat and what to do while we are there - aside from enjoying the beautiful beach!!! :cool:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 am 

Quote:
I think I might pack our double air mattress

Great idea, I should have suggested that earlier as we do this occasionally. Either put the mattress on the couch for added cushion, or 1 kid on the couch, 1 on the mattress.

Whatever... you will have a blast !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:37 pm 

Both pool areas are easily accissable from either tower.Maybe a 4 car length walk across a parking lot.