Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:14 pm 

Left Friday March 26th to Myrtle Beach.
3 guys
driving down
left Toronto...3pm Friday and arrived in Myrtle Saturday 8:00am.
Used GPS navigation..worked great until we needed it the most. The roads get a little confusing...just after Winston Salem area, for some reason, maybe in need of a software update, the navigation got confused and stopped following a trail and stopped giving prompts. It messed us up and we got a bit lost. We eventually made our way back to a road it recognized and recalculated for us. Finally Hwy 17 and N. Myrtle.
Saturday morning breakfast at some random place called Ryans. It was a buffet type place...we were tired and hungry so we weren't about to be fussy. Well it wasn't too good but whatever.
Next stop, find the rental office. We did and the lady in there was pleasant, but said we will get our key after our round today. The unit was being occupied by 4 guys that came in for a concert and they were probably all hungover and wouldn't be out early. On to Golf Dimensions (as we had a early afternoon Tee time). Bought a new wedge, a dozen balls and on to the Legends Resort for an early check in.
Played there years ago. The practise facilities are very good with a huge!!! putting green. Played Parkland first. The place was really busy and we had to wait 15 minutes past our scheduled tee time. Nice track, bermuda still dormant brown colour, but it frames the fairways nicely.
Game was a bit of a blur to be honest, as we were tired. Ended up waiting at almost every hole. over 5 hr round
Went to get our condo key after the round, found the unit and we were not happy when we entered. The place was dirty...stained carpets, NO pillows on any beds (we had to call the office for someone to bring pillows), the place needed a paint job, the ice maker was broken, there were salt and pepper shakers that were empty and didn't even have the little plugs on the bottom, no cork screw, maybe 4 spoons in the drawer, and a phone that was blocked from making any outside call ANYWHERE except the rental office. How does that work? We phoned and told them and the guy said use a cell phone...ya right!...oh the toilet runs on after flushing, they have a VHS machine and NO dvd player. Come on, I'm sorry but I forgot my VHS tapes at home in a box in the basement. No internet connection...and on and on. We went the next day to ask for a new unit. They got us one. It was better.
Sunday golfed at Legends Oyster Bay. A very nice layout, but to me, it didn't have a "premium" feel to it. I can't explain that except maybe just that it had a lot of scruffy areas to detract from it's look...(time of year i guess) fast greens, lots of gators sunbathing.
Monday it was on to Heathland in the morning and Mooreland in the afternoon. REALLY like the Heathland, but we played Mooreland years ago and remember it as a better course than it was this time around.
Tuesday we were off to play Legends Heritage down in Pawleys Island.
This was probably the weakest of the week. No 'wow' factor really anywhere.
Wednesday we started playing the Barefoot courses. First up The Love course. This was a really really good course, beautiful undulating greens with nice bunkering and great fairways.
Thursday we did the Fazio Norman combo...again really enjoyed both. Fazio, similar in style to the Love course and Norman was the tamer of all the Barefoot course with generous fairways, really wide and framed by the condos on either side. It didn't detract from the game.
Friday was the Dye course...toughest of the courses by far, and I felt I played my best golf here. finally my muscles were getting used to the shock of golf after a long winter...just in time to go home...figures.
Other Restuarants: Umbertos at Barefoot Landing. The food was okay, the prices avg to high but the killer was, they give you 5 dollar green patio chairs to sit on. Wha is supposed to be a classy Italian restaurant, why would they have chairs like that?
Villa Toscana. Food was good, not great. a little pricey too...but nicer chairs for sure.
Crab Catchers...some little seafood restaurant we found on our last trip. It's all about location here. The restaurant is mostly outside on the deck overlooking the Intercoastal waterway. No health food or diets here...everything is deep fried but fresh and tasty...mmm greasy goodness.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:00 pm 

Glad to see you enjoyed your trip for the most part. I have not been down for spring golf in over a decade. I couldn't imaging how slow the play is during peak season. Legends do have nice practice facilities.