Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 pm 

Possum Trot is set to close. If this trend keeps up, there won't be any courses left that you can play on for less than $125 per round. Disturbing trend.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/2019/01/21/possum-trot-golf-course-close/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:08 am 

This is sad..... will probably convert all that pervious surface to condos and parking lots. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:40 pm 

My parents bought a timeshare in MB that based a big part of its sales pitch on cheap golf at the on site golf course. Land developers also sold the surrounding properties on the premise of discounted golf for the adjoining property owners. Fast forward a couple of years and the course closes and land owners and timeshare owners are at a property with no golf. The timeshare group negotiated with some nearby courses and the land owners sued with no success.

To me it really wasn't a big deal because my golfing days are few and far between, but I would hate to be someone who bought just to be on a golf course. I didn't love the layout of the course but it was convenient to not leave the property parking lot and go play a round of cheap golf. It's just the state of the game right now..Until and if they can figure out a way to make the game 1.5 hours faster and to cut the price in half and still be profitable I'm afraid many more will close. Not enough demand in MB for the amount of play needed to survive.

Years ago I went to Wild Wing with a pretty good coupon that made the round about $25 including cart. The pro was actually upset that the coupon was still floating around. Said they couldn't let people play for that amount of money even though the course was empty. I guess that amount doesn't cover the chemicals needed to treat the damage and labor for a group to play at that rate. The game is in trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

I hope the golf course honored you coupon anyhow!!!

When we moved here in 1998 we bought on a golf course...not because we play golf, but because we loved the new house and the beautiful lake view. We heard rumors, and in April 2009 so we moved to a new house...about 5 miles away.

From that time forward we have watched the golf courses as they are morphed into housing and condo developments. It seems like when we seer people on golf courses anymore, they are all senior citizens.

Here's an interesting article...and if you google you'll find a lot more.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/golf/as ... ain-future

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:55 pm 

patrish wrote:
I hope the golf course honored you coupon anyhow!!!

When we moved here in 1998 we bought on a golf course...not because we play golf, but because we loved the new house and the beautiful lake view. We heard rumors, and in April 2009 so we moved to a new house...about 5 miles away.

From that time forward we have watched the golf courses as they are morphed into housing and condo developments. It seems like when we seer people on golf courses anymore, they are all senior citizens.

Here's an interesting article...and if you google you'll find a lot more.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/golf/as ... ain-future

If golf had to do it over it would be 12 holes (maybe not all par 3s like the course in the article), but it definitely wouldnt be 18. Like it or not, life is much more busy than It was years ago. Most people are just not willing to give up 6 hours of their Saturday and Sunday to drive to the course, play, and travel back home.

A lot of the blame can be put on housing development on the courses. The goal was maximum yardage to fit as many homes as they could on a hole. Then throw in excess bunkers for aesthetics (to sell more homes) which made for difficult golf and expensive course upkeep. To top it off most courses built during the boom became difficult to walk due to desire to build more homes which resulted in the holes being really spaced out. All this equals slow play. Throw in the expense of equipment and green fees and you isolate even more people.

I don't know if it will ever recover.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 am 

Azalea Sands is looking at closing too. River Oaks is closing 9 of their holes. Was talking to the pro at Panthers Run. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if 20 more courses closed. Just not enough younger people are playing golf anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Wait! Hold your horses and see what's coming
(drum roll please)

Topgolf offers golf as the platform for a one-of-a-kind leisure experience. The new Myrtle Beach location, located off 29th Avenue North and Grissom Parkway, will roll out a high-tech golf game as part of an entertainment complex that pairs with a full-service restaurant and bars, climate-controlled hitting bays, music, hundreds of HDTVs and even a rooftop terrace with a fire pit. Opening soon!

https://topgolf.com/us/myrtle-beach/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am 

Quote:
Just not enough younger people are playing golf anymore.

Same for so many other sports.... very sad. Hopefully the TopGolf concept will get more youngsters interested in golf (or at least keep the slower players off the "real" courses :roll: )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Kirk! (When will you be back at the beach??)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:08 pm 

I hope soon ! I need to find a good online calendar of MB events so I can coax the family into another short drive up the coast !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 pm 

I played Posum Trot on many of my trips to MB. It is/was one of the best "value" courses on in the area. Luckily when we visit in the summer, prices are at their lowest. Just have to play very early to beat most the heat.

All but once on Shore Drive