Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:58 pm 

We went out to Calabash NC ( right over the SC/NC border) short trip from MB.
(while there be certain to visit Callahan's) and we took the Dolphin Adventure with the Hurricane Fleet Company.
I would highly recommend this activity but be certain it is with Hurricane Fleet and not one of the other groups in that area. ( One company has someone near the docks when you arrive and try to re-direct you to their company instead of Hurricane Fleet… I didn’t like that approach).
You board a ship and they take you out into the ocean to meet up with one of their shrimping boats. The interesting part is that the dolphins follow the shrimping boat to get fish/food from the fishing nets. Your boat stops very close to the shrimping boats and the dolphins are all around you. There were more than a dozen dolphins swimming within a couple of feet from us. It was great! My children, well actually all of us loved it!
The boat then tosses over a bag of things that they have picked up in the nets so that the crew on our boat can explain what they are and give an informational little talk… they collect small rays, small sharks, variety of fish, starfish…..
It was a great activity and the cost was $20 a person…well worth the 2 hour adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:14 pm 

I'd like to echo what Ontariofamily said about the Hurricane Dolphin Adventure tour. Danny & I went 2 years ago and loved every minute of it. We both thought it was well-planned and done very well. Hurricane Hanna was approaching (2 days out) but they went out anyway. The seas were already beginning to get rough but we hardly noticed at all on the boat (and I am prone to seasickness but never did get sick). They had cautioned us that there might not be any dolphin activity since the storm was approaching and they normally head out to deeper waters to ride it out. We were tickled to death when we got out to the shrimper. There were dolphins everywhere! :nanner: They virtually surrounded the boat so everyone on both sides of the boat had fantastic views of them. Got some great photos! :hello: Crew was very knowledgeable and extremely courteous. I can't recommend them highly enough! If you are thinking of going, GO! You'll be glad you did!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:55 pm 

We also love this cruise. We have done it twice and I would love to do it again. The only draw back for us was that it was extremely hot. Of course it was in July...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:30 pm 

Deanna, I know what you mean! Even though we went the first week in September, the highs were in the 90s until the day Hurricane Hanna hit! :shock: It was very hot when we went, too, but it was still worth it! We loved it!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:13 pm 

This sounds like something DH Jim and I would like to do! I'm going to look into it!