Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ripley’s Aquarium
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:07 pm 

Ripley’s Aquarium | 1110 Celebrity Cir, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 | https://www.ripleyaquariums.com/myrtlebeach

My dad was interested in seeing the Pearl Harbor Exhibit. My parents and I came here on a Tuesday around 11:30pm. The older lady with short blonde hair at the counter was very rude. The party in front of us stepped up to the counter. My mom and I moved up and were standing a little past the silver queues. The older woman saw this and shouted “Ma’am, you need to wait your turn!” We were standing still and there was a ton of room between where we were standing at where she was at the counter, so I don’t understand what she was making a big deal out of. It was bizarre and uncalled for. Thankfully, Miss Sourpuss left by the time we got up to the counter. With a $3 off coupon from one of the coupon books, the total came to $87 for 3 adults.

We started off with the Pearl Harbor exhibit. The exhibit was upstairs and downstairs (to the right of the shark walk). The exhibit was very well done. It did a great job of showing you the world pre-attack, during attack, the aftermath, and future. There were quite a few hands-on things for kids to touch and learn about.

The aquarium was not too crowded. A majority of the right side of the shark walk was darkened off. There was a lot of areas in the aquarium that were just too dark to see where you were going. There were times I had to get out my phone to use the flash light to make sure I didn’t trip while walking. There were a ton of hands-on things for children to touch and explore. You could touch jellyfish and stingrays.

There was a donut cart outside of the jellyfish exhibit. You could smell the donuts as soon as you walked in. You got a bag of small funfetti donuts (10 donuts, I believe) for $10. The donuts were okay. They were crunchy but some were dried out. They weren’t worth $10, in my opinion. Also, the woman working at the donut cart was a little aggressive. She’d call out to every single person walking by to tell them she had donuts. We passed by three times and she yelled at us each time and tried to call us over to get donuts. She didn’t even recognize that we already purchased some. You could hear her yelling all the way across the aquarium.

The employees we encountered were friendly, knowledgable, and helpful. The exit is through the gift shop. The gift shop is a kids dream! Stuffed animals, apparel, toys, books, movies, etc. There were also items for the house like cups, plates, etc. The aquarium itself isn’t that big. It’s on the smaller side of the aquariums I’ve been to. The eating area has large tables and can accommodate a couple large groups of people. The food is expensive. They offer experiences like diving with sharks, sleeping with sharks (staying overnight in the aquarium), behind-the-scenes look at the stingrays, but those cost extra. They also have live shows like feeding shows (jellyfish, sea dragons, sharks) a Mermaid show, and various diving shows.

I feel bad for saying this, but I feel like this is a “one and done” kind of place. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing bad about the aquarium — but it’s pretty much the same every time you go, sans the special exhibits they do (Pearl Harbor, etc.) I think it’s extremely overpriced (even with a coupon) but I feel that’s the truth for all of the Ripley’s attractions in Myrtle Beach. They advertise a glass bottom boat adventure, but that’s a separate price ($12 if I recall correctly) and the area you’re in isn’t even that big. You can feed the stingrays for an extra price. I think those experiences should be included in the price of a ticket. Or, have people pay for those and reduce the entrance price. I will say that if you’re interested in trying out any of the other Ripley’s attractions, they offer ticket bundles if you purchase your tickets together, so you can save a bit of money there.

Pearl Harbor exhibit

Pearl Harbor exhibit

Pearl Harbor exhibit

Pearl Harbor exhibit

Pearl Harbor exhibit

Pearl Harbor exhibit

Horseshoe crabs

Sea Dragon

Donuts outside of jellyfish exhibit

Jellfish

Moon jellies

Post subject: Re: Ripley’s Aquarium
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:18 am 
Site Admin

I enjoyed reading your review, and have to agree with you about the cost. We were there this past March with daughter, SIL and two small grandkids who are 15 months apart. The cost was over $100. and that was WITH the "local's discount" for two of us. (The Pearl Harbor exhibit was going on at that time.)

We've been here several times ...recently because we've had company who wanted to see it. You're right that except for special exhibits it stays pretty much the same. However, we've been to other aquariums and still like this one the best. For years I wanted to visit he aquarium in Charleston, mostly because it is named "THE Aquarium of South Carolina." When we finally bought tickets, I was disappointed with it.

I think the major displays (shark tanks, floor to ceiling dish displays, etc.) are too expensive to change out, so that only leaves the special events that vary on a semi-regular basis.

I would love to see the statistics. I wonder if this is an attraction that is normally visited only once...and is priced accordingly. How much do they make from all the school busses in Horry County that visit during the school year? (How does THIS work price-wise?) What does it cost Ripley's to open their doors every day?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. I hope the grouchy woman got fired.

BTW we did the "behind the scenes" tour and it was one the best of the bunch.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall