Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:56 pm 

The NASCAR SpeedPark in Myrtle Beach will shut down at the end of the day Sunday and reopen in mid-May as a resurrected form of the popular Grand Prix parks along the Grand Strand that closed in the early 2000s.

Mark Lazarus, whose family ran the two Grand Prix Family Thrill Parks along the Grand Strand until the last one closed in 2006, is bringing back the brand as the new manager of the go-kart attraction, which will be known as Broadway Grand Prix...

--------------------
Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/0 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:26 pm 

I used to love the Grand Prix as a kid. Always looked forward to the day of driving one of the road course cars to see what time I could put down. Then they started going downhill and were gone as Midway expanded over the South Grand Prix. I hope they put quality carts out there and if so, I may give it a whirl this summer.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 am 

I spent a lot of time at the old Grand Prix on the south end of MB. It will always be a big part of my childhood memories. My oldest kid did get to take a lap around one of the tracks for small kids before it shut down. It was a pretty good value when they did the remodel and brought in some carnival type rides right before it closed. May have to give it another try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:21 am 

Well, I guess it was about time. We really liked the Speedpark when it first opened, and also the Cafe. Everything runs its course though, and I'm glad they are keeping it as a go kart track. We liked the Grand Prix in North Myrtle and were disappointed when they closed, so this might be a change for the better.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:48 pm 

However, I guess the flyers advertising the Grand Prix will be a "tad delayed"... :bootyshake:
---------------

THOUSANDS OF FLYERS FALL OFF TRUCK, BACK UP TRAFFIC ON HIGHWAY 501
By WMBF News Staff

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – Thousands of flyers fell off a truck on Highway 501 near River Oaks Drive Friday, backing up southbound lanes of traffic.

The flyers for Grand Prix Family Race Park were spread all over the roadway near Waccamaw Pottery Friday morning after falling off the truck.

Highway Patrol troopers and State Highway Emergency Program crews were on the scene directing traffic while several people picked up the flyers, according to our reporter on the scene.

A worker at the printing station told crews that 300,000 flyers had been printed.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/25770746/ ... ighway-501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:10 am 

I just checked out their website, and it looks like they just painted over everything. On the kiddie rides, you can still see the "Lowes" logo through the new paint. I sure hope they keep the place up.

http://www.broadwaygrandprix.com/

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:22 pm 

We went to the park on June 23rd and it is almost exactly the same as when it was NASCAR SpeedPark, however, I must say it is now being operated much better than before. They weren't very busy, so it is hard to see how well they will handle large crowds, but their team was very professional and helpful. We had exactly the opposite experience when we visited before in 2012. The track attendants on that trip were lazy and disinterested and could care less how long people had to wait to ride. None of that this time. I only have one complaint that they had a time share booth setup inside the park with the usual nagging pitchmen. I did get 2 free bottles of water from them though. :lol: They are still using the same karts as before, but they seem to be better maintained. Hopefully they will get new karts for next year.

Breakers June 2014
Breakers June 2013
Breakers June 2012
Breakers June 2011
Breakers August 2010
Grand Atlantic June 2010
Breakers June 2009
Breakers June 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:58 am 

So with the speedpark getting repackaged, has anything been done with the building that used to be the NASCAR Cafe? That used to always be our #1 stop at the beach back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:55 am 

budwash435 wrote:
So with the speedpark getting repackaged, has anything been done with the building that used to be the NASCAR Cafe? That used to always be our #1 stop at the beach back in the day.

Yes, it is now the recently-opened Hollywood Wax Museum. See this topic (plus the linked media report):

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15064&p=107228&hilit=wax+museum#p107228

Plus, there is also a topic here with reviews about it:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15101&hilit=wax+museum

Last edited by Mike L. on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 am 

Thank you. I knew of the Wax Museum, wasn't quite sure where it was.