Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:05 am 
Site Admin

This information is in the Sun News Today. I have become jaded in the almost 15 years we've lived here because many attractions "coming soon" don't get here. The former NASCAR Cafe building was slated a long ago to become a Pat Boone theater, but they announced delay after delay. Now it may become the new home to a wax museum. I hope this will work! We've been to several wax museums and enjoyed them tremendously.

Click on the link below for the entire newspaper story.

MYRTLE BEACH -- A wax museum that opened in the 1960s in Hollywood is planning to branch out to Myrtle Beach.

Hollywood Wax Museum is working to move into the former NASCAR Cafe building off U.S. 17 Bypass and 21st Avenue North.

Officials won’t say when the attraction might open. It still must be approved by the city’s Community Appearance Board, which will have an early discussion about it Thursday. No plans have yet been submitted to the city, so the earliest the board could vote on it is next month.

Source: The Sun News
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/0 ... rylink=cpy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:25 am 

I remember going to the wax museum on the BLVD where the park is now back in the 80s I think it was also called Hollywood Wax Museum.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Look at photos of the Castle Dracula on Wayne Aiken's page and see if this is the one you're thinking about!

http://htomc.dns2go.com/myrtle/default.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:37 pm 

I remember the wax museum that was located close to the pavilion. Never did go to it, but remember walking by it when I was a kid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:03 pm 

On my girls trip to Vegas we all picked one thing that we wanted to do while we were there and one of the girls picked Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. I was not thrilled with the idea but ended up having a great time.

Also, I noticed when we were in Pigeon Forge last month that a huge wax museum had just opened there and it was packed. It may just be a good addition for Myrtle Beach.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 pm 
Forum Support

I've never been to a Wax museum, but this is something I would do at least once. I can't find the post, but Patrish talked about a Asian (I think) experience. I didn't think that experience would appeal to enough people, but this would. Hopefully it opens, but if not at least there is talk of something. Some news is better then no news.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 pm 

patrish wrote:
Look at photos of the Castle Dracula on Wayne Aiken's page and see if this is the one you're thinking about!

http://htomc.dns2go.com/myrtle/default.htm

No this was Hollywood wax museum it was further down the street by Billy Olafs big icream cone place.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Wish I could find some old photos of it for you, but nothing is turning up!

Deanna, the was museum in Pigeon Forge is the same one we're getting here. They had the upsidedown house in PF before we got ours. Guess if it flies in PF, it will fly in MB too!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 pm 

I can picture it in my mind quite well will have to see if I can find it in an old coast magazine that I might still have.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:54 pm 

Beachcomber, yes it was across the street from Plyer Park, it was on 10th, now known as Mr Joe White Blvd.

The outside of the Wax Museum being proposed is quite eye-catching and as long as they keep the admission at the right price point, I think it will do well.

As for the Asian Village/whatever, since B&C backed off on leasing them the old Mall land, I have not heard anything.

There is a new Theatre opening Big Laughs in Surfside by WalMart, it's a husband and wife hypnosis show that has played at the Dells in Wisconsin for the last 7 years.

I know I should make a new post for this yet I am just so pressed for time any more.

Tomorrow the beach gang is meeting on our beach and we will be playing buckets, unreal weather for January, it hit 80 today.

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Gary. I figured if anyone had photos, it would be Wayne Aiken, but the only shot I found was of the beach store where the wax museum used to be.

Where is the new theater next to SS Wal-Mart? In one of the empty buildings along the side road where Safari Hair is?

Enjoy playing on the beach tomorrow. The weather today was AWESOME!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:07 pm 

I live 5 minutes from the Hollywood Wax Museum in Pigeon Forge. It has been a huge success so far. It is on the parkway near a lot of attractions. It opened last summer and has been very busy until the beginning of this month. The admission cost is about $15. Substantial local discount made it about $8.00 each for us to get in. Keep in mind it is not a world class wax museum like Madam Toussads. It is a fun affordable experience with a lot of great photo ops. The one here is open 365 days a year.

Pb