Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boardwalk munchies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:43 pm 

I spent a childhood growing up 1 week each summer at Ocean City, MD. We loved the boardwalk. When us kids got a little older, my parents wanted to try something different. We went to Myrtle Beach. All of us liked Myrtle far more than Ocean City, except.....

There was 1 problem. There was no boardwalk. Now years later, decades later in fact, I am taking my family to Myrtle coming this summer. And there is a boardwalk now!

Whoops, there's another problems. That problem is a major problem. Myrtle is far better than OC, yes, except that OC still has one thing that NO ONE else has, not any other beach out there.

THRASHER'S FRENCH FRIES!

Yes, in my 38 years of life, I have never ever had anything as wonderful as Thrasher's french fries in Ocean City. Last year, I wanted to go to Myrtle, we went to Disneyworld for our first vacation instead. At the end of the summer, my wife was surprised to get 4 days off straight on the weekend. She jokingly tossed out the idea of going to the beach. On Monday I called, on Friday morning at 3 am we were in the car heading to the beach for the weekend!

Now, I would have rather gone to Myrtle, but because it was just a short weekend trip, the 12-14 hours it would take us, wasn't going to happen. I opted to head to Ocean City just 7 hours away. I hadn't been to Ocean City since 1986, or to any beach since 1988.

24 years stretch that I did not taste Thrasher's French Fries. I ate them for lunch and dinner every day of our 3 days there. They are so awesome!

So, that leads me back to the intent of this post. What is good to munch on along the boardwalk? I know I won't get my Thrasher's French Fries, but that is the ONLY thing that OC has over Myrtle, especially since after 24 years since being in OC, I found that nothing was different. It was the same as I remember from when I was 14 years old and I expect Myrtle will be pretty much the same as it was when I was 15 and 16, aside from the new boardwalk.

I want some dang good french fries when I'm there! Just writing and thinking about them right now, my mouth is watering for them. Someone please tell me there is a place to get good french fries along the boardwalk, as well as other such stop-and-grab munchies, pizza, and sandwich places. I'm not looking for sit down restaurants, that's what Murrell's Inlet and the south is for. Boardwalk eating is for grabbing the munchies, turning around and staring out at the ocean while chowing down.

Post subject: Re: Boardwalk munchies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:48 pm 

Cant beat the deep fried footlong chili dog at Peaches Corner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:39 pm 

I was in OC last year and everyone that knew I was going kept raving on and on about those Thrashers Fries and how we had to get them....so we did...but, honestly, I didn't see the big deal about them. We have a Gibby's fry wagon at the fairs here in MI that are so much better! lol

Anyway, I'd say you can't beat the atmosphere at Peaches! I ate there for the first time last May and it was very good and just a real fun afternoon to sit there and people watch. There is also a Myrtle Fries at the end of the block (by the Gay Dolphin), but I haven't tried them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:37 pm 

I can’t recommend a good fries place, but my daughter and granddaughter had a basket
of nachos from Marvin’s at 10 a.m, go figure, last August and they both raved how good
they were
My suggestion on the fries would be to browse around in the restaurants on the Boardwalk
Most are open air. If you see a basket that catches your attention being eaten by their patrons,
order you up some.

My other suggestion is if you can, sit at one of the picnic tables outside the restaurant and enjoy
the view of the beautiful ocean. Food of any kind always taste better with beautiful scenery.

Good luck in your hunt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a picture of Myrtle Beach Fries (the one mentioned above.) The back of this building faces the boardwalk/ocean. It's on the end of the Northern End of the Boardwalk. I'm not much a french fries fan, but a large number of people seemed to be enjoying them. As you can see, the area is quite open, so I would just ask people with fries what they think. Better yet, go right up to the counter and ask if you can sample one before you invest!

http://www.funbeaches.com/More_Spring/s ... -fries.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm 

Will have to try Myrtle fries this year. Walked by them many times but just haven't stopped to buy any. I have bought the flavored soft ice cream at IGGY's (I think their name is). Really enjoyed it. Only had vanilla and chocolate soft ice cream so I found the different flavors a treat.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:50 pm 

micountrygal wrote:
I was in OC last year and everyone that knew I was going kept raving on and on about those Thrashers Fries and how we had to get them....so we did...but, honestly, I didn't see the big deal about them. We have a Gibby's fry wagon at the fairs here in MI that are so much better! lol

RogInVa wrote:
My other suggestion is if you can, sit at one of the picnic tables outside the restaurant and enjoy the view of the beautiful ocean. Food of any kind always taste better with beautiful scenery.

Perhaps RogInVa says the truth. In the 80's, I was at Ocean City every year, and Thrasher's fries were so good. Perhaps it is because of the atmosphere of being at the beach. Back then, you also didn't get real fresh cut fries anywhere, they were all the extruded potato fries much like the frozen from a grocery store or from a fast food joint. Thrasher's were fresh cut, and you can get fresh cut at a lot of places now.

Glad to see the pic posted by Patrish. I didn't know what to expect on the new boardwalk because I can't seem to find any info on the net other than a description of the length. I was hoping it was cheap shops and bad-for-you food, or what I call "Farmshow" or "Fair" food, much like it is in Ocean City. I am worried about visiting the boardwalk and finding majority of high dollar restaurant kind of things.

I suppose it's only been last year since it opened too. Majority stuff is probably down at the pavilion, which is another place I'm really interested in seeing to see what is different and what is the same since I was last there in 1988.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:15 pm 

Mrodgers here is a link to the Boardwalk and what's on it... Enjoy~
http://myrtlebeachdowntown.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:04 pm 

dbusguy wrote:
... I have bought the flavored soft ice cream at IGGY's (I think their name is). Really enjoyed it. Only had vanilla and chocolate soft ice cream so I found the different flavors a treat.

We USED to go to IGGY'S as well - but when was the last time you were there. The woman (can't remember her name at the moment) who used to own and ran it did a good job, but she sold it not too long ago (I believe over the winter last year).

The last 2 times we went there, there were 2 older guys working. They didn't seem to know what they were doing, The first time we visited, they had trouble making change - and the quality left a lot to be desired. I got a banana split (which was terribly made) and Cindy got a milkshake that was very runny and not even too cold.

We should have learned something from that, but went back again in around August - hoping they may have learned what to do. When we went to place our order, only one of the guys was there at first. He said we'd have to wait, as he's just cut his finger and was looking for a bandaid. Meanwhile: he had blood on the counter, wiped on his shirt, and various places. The second guy then walked in...the first guy asked if they had any bandaids...the second guy said they could look for some after they took care of their customers (us).

Of course, we walked out - and haven't been back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:35 am 

Sitting on a bench facing the ocean enjoying a bucket of Myrtle Beach fries with cheese is always a part of our vacation. If you have not tried you really should.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:26 am 

Stood in line for 1 hr to find out what the big deal was with Trashers in Ocean City MD.
I'm still waiting for someone explain to me what the big deal is. Half of our bucket fed the seagulls.
Perfect example of word of mouth marketing. Sadly, for us, the product didn't live up to the hype.
I learned two things that day. 1 - I will never stand in line for an hour for french fries again.
2 - ..hmm, actually, I guess I only learned 1 thing that day. My bad. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 am 

mrrodgers, you made mention you don;t expect much to have changed here since 89, I can assure that you will not recognize the area, a standing joke we had up until the economy crash, was MB changes on a quarterly basis, there was always something new being built and something old coming down.

The Boardwalk if you looked at the pictures is nothing like OC, Wildwood, Seaside or what most folks think of, it is just a walkway along the beach for 1.2 miles.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:51 am 

Gary,

I was just about to post the very same comment that Myrtle Beach has changed drastically in 15 years. There is so much more to do and many more places to eat. JimB70 I think you are in for a wonderful surprise. Can't wait to hear about your trip!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:06 pm 
Forum Support

Wow thought that was my great uncle posting who has since passed away. He wouldn't go back to Florida because it didn't change. :roll: He wasn't there is 25 years. I think stuff changed.

JimB70 You'll have a great time and I can't wait to hear about it. Things to me changed in 3 years so for you it will be a even bigger surprise.