Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: West Virginia traffic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:22 pm 

Yesterday, my parents came back to ohio from myrtle Beach. There's a road resurfacing project on I-77 from the Virginia/west Virginia state line to Princeton, west Virginia. They sat in bumper to bumper traffic for over two hours to go 8 miles. Apparently, this will be an issue until November. You have been advised.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:49 pm 

We were down in May and hit big traffic backups between the tunnels heading back north. No problem around Wytheville, where it usually back ups. But about 10 miles south of the East River tunnel it was a huge back up. Once we got thru the tunnel, we didn't have any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, phroggy!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm 

Yup, we sat in that traffic too for 1½ hrs. :cry:

Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album
Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm 

If you get off at the Bastian exit on 77 North and take a left on Rt. 666 :roll: to Rt. 52 you can bypass most of that traffic and rejoin 77 right at the mouth of the East River tunnel. It is 2 lane but still way faster than the interstate.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:47 pm 

Yes, we have taken Gino024's route many times to avoid traffic snarls...it is not bad...maybe a little winding...but we live in SE Ohio...land of hilly, winding roads...it is a good alternative...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 pm 

I think that's the road we took last year to miss the 81 merge or the tunnel traffic, I can't remember. I hate that there is this delay now on top of the two normal ones. :BandHead:
Thanks for the heads up Phroggy.
Melissa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 pm 

Gino024 wrote:
If you get off at the Bastian exit on 77 North and take a left on Rt. 666 :roll: to Rt. 52 you can bypass most of that traffic and rejoin 77 right at the mouth of the East River tunnel. It is 2 lane but still way faster than the interstate.

Isn't the construction on the Northbound lanes in West Virginia? From what we've been told, the construction is from the East River tunnel north from milemarker 0 to milemarker 9 (Princeton). It seems like the directions above would put you just south of where the construction begins, and you're still right in the thick of it. Or am I confused?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:41 pm 

Scott and Misti is correct. The construction is from mile marker zero to mile marker 9 in BOTH directions though only one side at a time. Next week, it'll switch to the south bound lanes for the major delays. Geno's suggestion won't save much in the way of time. There are detours but they too will not save time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:48 am 

On the day we were coming back from Myrtle the traffic was backed up all the way to the Bastian exit and my Google map kept telling me to get off there. It is more than 10 miles from that exit to the tunnel and as we drove along side of 77 we could see traffic at a near standstill. This route won't take you around the entire construction area but it can cut the distance you have to drive in the stop and go traffic by more than half. Hopefully they will get this done soon....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:30 pm 

Thanks Gino!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 am 
Site Admin

A little off-topic, but we use the free app Waze. "The world's largest community based traffic and navigation app" It has saved us a lot of time, no matter where we're headed.
https://www.waze.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:11 am 

I'm glad we don't have to go through WV..How's 95 south after Fredericksburg VA? lolz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:25 pm 

So, we just got home to Mason (northern Cincinnati, OH) today. Our friends who were there with us travelled 77 north (they left the hotel at 4:30am) and according to them, the paving project is finished on the Northbound side and they had no traffic issues due to that. They also said it appeared they were preparing the southbound lanes with cones/signs. Read an article that said they should be starting that next week and to expect delays.
Now, about the Waze app :BandHead: I have heard so many great things about it so I downloaded it last night because, frankly, we had contemplated all week which way we should take to come home. On our way down, the back up had been miles long and we just did not want to deal with it. Anyway, both our friends and us used the Waze app. Granted, they left at 4:30am, we did not head out until 6:00am. Waze took them up and eventually to 77 north to 64. That same daggone app directed us to cut over to 40 and eventually to 75 north, which we call the old way because that's the way my husband's family travelled for years. But Waze said it was 50 miles longer, but would be the fastest route due to traffic. So that's the way we went. Overall the drive was fine and probably took us the same amount of time as the other way would have. However, Waze did nothing to notify us of the 3 traffic jams we got caught in. Each over an hour long. All three times the app showed nothing until we were right up on it and it was too late to route around it. My google navigation will usually reroute if it can if there is traffic (this is what it did on the way down). I do like how people can report everything from roadkill in the road, to where police are hiding. But it disappointed when it came to notifying and rerouting around traffic jams. Our friends swear by it.
On the way down, we hit major traffic in Lake Norman, and both of us were rerouted, us by google and them by Waze. Both apps took us each a different way but we both arrived at nearly the same time.
Just my two cents on Waze. :dontknow:
Also, I would suggest checking the WVDOT website to verify the construction project. Not sure how long it is supposed to last southbound. But I do know it was causing a huge headache while they were doing the northbound side.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm 

We will be heading Southbound this weekend. What would be a good detour to take? Thanks!