Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driving thru Greensboro
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 am 

We will be coming down 220 from Roanoke and will take 68 until it meets I40 and and get on 40 there. (exit 210) I have 2 sets of directions from there and I am wondering which would be better or if there is much difference in them.

The first route has us taking exit 212 to get onto 73S and following 85N/40E until we get back to 220. The second route keeps us on 40 until exit 218 and then that just merges into 220. On the map it appears the 1st route goes around Greensboro and I see the second route goes thru the city.

We will be going thru on a Saturday about 10:00-11:00 am. Is there an advantage to one route over the other? We are familar w/ driving around/in Greensboro, but haven't driven it enough to know which would be the faster way to go. We will probably stop to eat where 68 and 40 meet, so I think the most important factor is just getting thru Greensboro the quickest and easiest way.

TIA!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:34 pm 

Location: Kernersville, NC (Physically), Myrtle Beach, SC (Mentally)
By all means, take the route that runs you down 73. It will be a lot less traffic and will move you quite far down 220, about 15 miles north of Asheboro. It will be alot easier to manuver since the state has painted I-73 onto the highway. It gives you enough time to make the proper lane choice. I travel through that area almost daily and I find that the 73 route to be light traffic and 4-5 lanes wide. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:21 am 

Rt 68 will run under I 40. Once you come out the other side the on ramp will be to your right.
At the same light. If you turn left there is a McDonalds, Shoney's (if they're still open. Closing fast around here) and a gas station. I'm sure there are other places on into Greensboro but this would probably be easiest and quickest to deal with.

Once up on the big road. Way off in the distance you'll see giant sign over the highway. Road splits up ahead. I 73 you're looking for will be over in left lanes. No big rush. Plenty of time and traffic shouldn't be that heavy. Still doesn't hurt to start working your way over early to avoid the popular "Oh crap we should be over there" situation later.

I 73 around south side of Greensboro is a breeze. Not unusual to be only car in sight. You'll cross I 85. Once past the I 85 interchange the next exit will be for Rt 220 /I 73 south to Ashboro..