Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:24 pm 

Keeping in mind that we are driving down on a Saturday morning at the end of May. Is there anyone who can suggest a "toddler-friendly" efficient route? Or simply what works best for you?

I have a few ideas and routes already, but i'd like to gather as many possible and compare/trim down my options.

I dont mind 95. But I hear it becomes 2 lanes in NC and can be kinda rough with the big rigs. I have a toddler under 5 in the car and would like to avoid such scenarios as much as possible...w/out hampering the time too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 pm 

Hi!

I assume your young'un isn't much into sightseeing & prefers arriving @ the destination the quicker the better??

.. or is someplace in b/w where EVERYONE can get a break what you lookin' for?!

There were some I95 stop along ideas on this forum about a year or so ago, .. hopefully those ideas will surface again w/ feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 pm 

Thanks for the response. Im hopin' the lil fella sleeps most of the way. planning on stopping every 2 - 2 1/2 hours maybe 3. lil man calls the shots lol. Looking to get to MB asap not taking too much time during pit stops. MAYBE south of the border. Maybe not. All depends on 95 I reckon.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:16 pm 

We just got back from a trip from Maryland to Disney with our very active 22 month old grandson. If possible, make sure to take a portable DVD player and DVDs. We drove I-95 the whole way and didn't have any problems at all. We stopped every 3 hours or so to let him stretch his legs. We took a kick ball, toddler's T-ball set and bubbles to play with at the rest stops. Also, I bought the "Kids Love I-95" book (Amazon). It lists all the McDonalds and Chick-fil-a's with play areas and also all the Chuck-E-Cheeses along the way. Have fun!!
Angela

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:06 pm 

I would recommend either driving through the night or at least a very (3 or 4 a.m.) early departure. We have about a 7 hour drive and usually leave around 3:30 or 4 a.m., which puts us in MB around lunch time. By the time we eat and walk around Broadway it is just about time to check-in. The kids usually go back to sleep within 30 minutes of departure and don't wake back up until about 9 a.m. Leaves them only about 2 hours of awake time for the trip down. We let the older kids take baths the night before and go to bed in comfortable day time clothes that allow them to go and eat when we arrive. Traffic is very light for the first 3 hours of the trip also, which is another benefit. It makes it a pretty peaceful trip down.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:35 pm 

Only came from that direction once. Can't say how the different options compare. We followed somebody else's suggested route. Kirk's maybe.

Hopped off I95 at Wilson, NC. Think it was I 795 down to I40 and then over to Wilmington. Very easy. Can't remember our drive time but thought it was pretty good.

Another option if you're happy on I95. Stay on it past Lumberton and hop off onto Rt74. Over to Chadbourne. Down through the woods for 20 miles (straight two lane) to Rt9. Cuts out the drive through downtown Dillon with less two lane on Rt9.