Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:20 pm 

I was just wondering about this newer route to NMB from Ohio. What would be the "last" or "best" place to stop and use the restroom, eat, etc. before getting on this portion of highway? I have heard stories about this newer route not being very "traveler friendly" yet in terms of ammenities, and since we will be traveling with an unpredictable 8 year old bladder, I am just trying to get as much information as possible.

One other thing, someone also mentioned to me that cell phones and gps devices might not be as effective as usual due to this highway being a little on the remote side. Does anybody on here have any experience with this route that can confirm or mispell what I have heard?

Thanks in advance!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 pm 

We have been taking this route for a good while...it is now finished to Rockingham, NC...there are brand new rest areas...northbound and southbound...large and with lots of parking...we get on around Asheboro, NC...I am thinking the rest area is before Ellerbe...if you are southbound...I forget exactly where...but they were nice...the road is divided 4 lane and for the most part lightly traveled...we have never had any problems with cell service on that stretch...the first year our GPS showed us not on a road but in the "green"... but it was shown as a road last year...new GPS...Even before the rest area we never had any difficulty finding restrooms...the road can be a bit dark at night...and could be considered more remote than urban areas...we travel mostly in the daylight...usually are near Rockingham just after nightfall and we stay overnight there...I would say it is no more remote than the WV turnpike...and mostly flat and straight. FYI..if you travel in the daylight...there are several fruit and vegetable stands(a giant strawberry shaped one...is in my memory)...one we like is on the old route...called David's...really great fresh peach milkshakes...and clean restrooms...there are some fast food places on the exits...we usually wait til we get to Rockingham to eat...they have a SONIC there...but have several other places as well...hope this helps...others may have more to add...

JoAnn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 am 

Thanks for your info, ohiojo, we greatly appreciate it. We plan on leaving Northeast Ohio around 1:00 pm on Friday March 2nd, and driving all the way through, so alot of our trip will be after dark, so that is why I was concerned about the newer route and things like restrooms and gas stations. Does anybody else have anything to add?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:23 pm 

You are welcome! I was earching interstate info on the web and found that the rest area is in Randolph County, NC...it was brand new last year...really is nice...wish I could be more help with the night travel info...

Jo Ann

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:46 pm 

Things may have changed for the better for our trip. I may now be off work on Friday and that would allow us to leave on Thursday afternoon. If that is the way it works out, then we would be travelling the I 73/74 corridor on Friday morning in broad daylight, so that would make it a little easier in an area that I am not that used to.

Anybody else have anything to add about this route?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:22 pm 

If you go through Greensboro and down you'll be going "by" Ashboro. Signs at exits will show services at most exits but you won't see any from the road. No big deal. Old RT 220 runs parallel to new four lane. Less than a mile over to the east. All of your gas stations and fast food stops are over there. Easy access.

Think the exit is for Candor. Should be south of the rest area. Convenience store/truck stop over on east side of the highway.