Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 am 

Just wanted to pass this along. http://www.kentucky.com/2012/04/13/2149379/kentucky-news-review-summer-traffic.html
Saw it yesterday in the paper and it could be an issue with some travelers to Myrtle Beach. Many people use this route to connect to I-40 toward Asheville.

I posted an alternative route last year and will cut and paste it here as well as post the link to the topic.

http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11810
Just an update on a possible alternate route for travelers taking I75 south toward Knoxville. If traveling from Kentucky or north of Kentucky, another possible route to save about 30 miles on your journey is to take exit 29 (Corbin/Barbourville Exit) in Kentucky and turn left on 25E-S for about 60 miles. This will take you to Tazewell, TN. where you will take a left on 25E for about 37 miles until you get to I-81 South ramp. Take I-81 S for 7 miles and take Exit 1A onto I-40E toward Asheville, NC. Once on I-40, take your normal route to the beach.

I wouldn't have suggested this route before because construction had been going on for years on 25 E in TN before being completed recently. The entire route is now four lanes and it is a beautiful stretch of road taking you toward the beach. Even if it only saves you five minutes your kids will love going through the 4600 ft. Cumberland Gap tunnel connecting Middlesboro, KY. and Harrogate, TN.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:09 pm 

Update on I-75 construction. Work crews have ran into more problems and I-75 south is completely shut down around the northern TN border until May 21. I would highly advise taking the 25E route if going to MB this summer. The I-75 road work is going to continue until at least mid-August on this section of road. There is about 1 mile of construction at the KY-TN border on the 25E route, but the traffic is still moving and only reduced from the normal two lanes to one lane for the one mile stretch. You are saving 30+ miles on the 25E route, so I would think this would be the best choice to connect to I-40.

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/05/10/2183004/southbound-i-75-to-remain-closed.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:14 am 

Latest as of June 4:

Quote:
KNOXVILLE — Workers at 8 a.m. today opened one lane of Interstate 75 South and both lanes of Interstate 75 North in Campbell County.

Northbound and southbound drivers have been running on a single lane each on the northbound side of I-75 as workers struggle to rebuild a slope that claimed both southbound lanes.

The work Sunday night that shut down the southbound lane this morning provide two lanes for northbound drivers.

Since March 8 the section of I-75 near the Stinking Creek Road interchange has been proving troublesome for the Tennessee Department of Transportation and the more than 28,000 drivers who daily use that portion of road.

First, the southbound lanes were obliterated by a slope slide that ate away at a 180-foot drop in the hillside. Then authorities had to close one of the two northbound lanes because of continued deterioration of the slope.

A second “slide within the slide” occurred May 7, disrupting the already limited flow of traffic for which crossover lanes had been constructed following the original slide.

The entire $9.3 million project to stabilize and rebuild all lanes of I-75 in the impacted area is slated for completion by Sept. 28.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 am 

I would still advise to take exit 29 in Kentucky and access I-81 in Tn and then connect to I-40 toward Asheville. I would still guess that 75 going to one lane southbound will back that road up pretty bad.