Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rest stops
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 am 

Last year, we took our first family vacation. Went to Disneyworld from roughly Pittsburgh, PA. 19 hours with 2 kids 6 and 9.

Drove out of Pa, through 6 states to Florida. The main problem with the drive was, with 2 kids we had rest stops, lots of them. What we found was, the only rest stops were welcome centers for each state! We ended up stopping at every single one of them because we never knew how far it was to the next one with the kids.

I'm use to traveling across, east to west, west to east. Up here in northern PA on I-80, there are abundant rest stops. You wouldn't need to hit every one because there is surely another one coming soon enough. Same with our quick long weekend trip to Ocean City at the end of summer. The PA turnpike (I-76) had plenty of rest stops and on top of that, the majority of the trip was on the turnpike, and I was able to get a gps file to show rest stops.

Now, heading to Myrtle Beach this summer coming, we will be starting with following our Disney route through WV, VA, and into North Carolina. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good site to look up rest stops or a good file to download to the GPS (Garmin) to show rest stops so we can plan it a little better. Perhaps something that is not entirely road specific so I don't have to try to search every mile of road we will be travelling...

Ok, now for an interesting if not comical story that explains how rough rest stops can be on a trip... Our Disney trip was planned for a stop overnight in Savannah, GA. 12 hours I think it was according to the maps and GPS, but it took us 14 hours with all the rest stopping. We averaged about 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Very early on about daybreak in West Virginia, we encountered a slight traffic slowing. When we reached the tie-up, we found some major POS mini-van cruising along at I'm guessing 45-50 mph. The lanes of traffic were merging over to get by, then blasting away back up to speed leaving this minivan in the dust.

Fast forward through WV, VA, NC, SC, and into Georgia. After stopping at all the rest stops for the kids, we only grabbed a very quick 15 minute stop for lunch, and upon reaching Georgia we encounter yet another traffic slowing. For the fifth time! we pass that same red minivan cruising along at 45-50 mph! Sometimes it just won't pay out to travel at 80 mph to get somewhere quicker, LOL.

Post subject: Re: Rest stops
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:51 am 

Check out http://www.poi-factory.com, and look for "Rest Areas Combined" which should near the top of the most popular files listed. I use it on my TomTom, and it looks like the file can also be downloaded in the Garmin CSV format.

Jack
mrodgers wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good site to look up rest stops or a good file to download to the GPS (Garmin) to show rest stops so we can plan it a little better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:39 pm 

I'm not familiar with the route from western PA, but I know along I-81 and I-95 there are rest stops spaced out about every 50 miles or so. We've also gotten off at any exit for a break at a McDonald's or whatever fast food places are there. They're usually so busy they don't know if you're buying food or just using the restroom. If I were ever questioned I would just say we were going to use the drive thru but needed a quick potty break first.

I am low tech. I have a Rand McNally Atlas book of the country and they have the rest stops on there. We use it faithfully when we travel and even though we only update it every 5 to 10 years, it still works well for us.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 am 

On the "low tech" end, if you are a member of AAA they will make you a paper "Trip Tik". It will map out your best route, let you know about construction delays and it has all the state run rest areas marked so you can plan ahead. We have a Garmin too, but I love my Trip Tik.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm 

Believe it or not, someone has written a book about locating Rest Areas on the nation's interstate system. I don't know if it is worth $10 to you, but if so here is a link: http://www.interstaterestareas.com/interstate-rest-area-guide-ebook

I may be wrong, but I believe that there is some type of federal law that rest areas must be 60 miles (or less) apart. If you stay on the interstate all of the way, then you should find one about every hour. If you are branching off on different roads or different interstates, then you may find that they are farther apart. If you stay on Interstate 79 through PA and WV, then I 77 through WV, VA, and NC, then you should find one about every 60 miles, or less.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:04 pm 

Hmm, interesting the every 60 mile thing. I didn't know that.

Yeah, we will pretty much be I-79 (tiring through WV with all the constant cranking on the steering wheel, hehehe) and I-77. Not sure what is after I-77, that would be where we deviate from our Disney run last year and head towards the coast.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 am 

For the I-95 part - this site is great:

http://www.i95exitguide.com/index.php

2002 - Compass Cove
2003 - Coral Beach
2004 - Sand Dunes
2006 - LongBay
2007 - Ocean Reef
2008 - Long Bay
2009 - Island Vista
2010 - Island Vista (April)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:01 am 

mrodgers wrote:

(tiring through WV with all the constant cranking on the steering wheel, hehehe)

Would love to take you on some of our back roads in a truck. Many places curves and other tight spots are either numbered or named.
Truckers call out where they're at and which direction so they don't meet another truck where it's a no no.
School buses run CB's to let the trucks know where they're at and stopping because of all the blind curves.

Coming down I 79. Should be a rest stop between Fairmont and Bridgeport. Just below the FBI Center exit.
Next one will be betwen Weston and Burnsville.

Down Rt 19 to Beckley. No rest areas. Many fuel and fast food locations. All easy on and off. Shouldn't be any floor board tap dancing hoping for a break.

As soon as you hit I 77 in Beckley. Just over the hill is Turnpike travel plaza. Variety of fast food venders and restrooms. If not in a hurry. (won't happen on a beach trip) you could visit Tamarack next to the plaza. Good for maybe an hour's break.

Down into VA. Maybe five miles or so past second tunnel. VA welcome center.
Next Rest stop will be at foot of Fancy Gap mountain as you enter NC. Another welcome center.

I 74 /RT 52. Not an official interstate yet. Still a work in progress. No rest areas. Many fuel and fast food places at exits. Just keep and eye on the exit signs to see what's at each one.
Rumor has it there will be major road work at Winston Salem end of this stretch. I'm still in decision stage of using I 74/Rt 52 or stay on I 77 and across RT 421 to Winston Salem. Not sure what's along that route.

I 40 from Winston Salem to Greensboro. We always use Business I 40. No rest areas. Kernersville isn't a bad exit if desperate.
Greensboro isn't the easiest to exit and re-enter interstate. Exit for the airport probably the easiest to use.

I 73/ RT 220. Rest area half way down the road has been under construction for couple years. As of Sept it wan't open yet. Like other stretches. Watch the exit signs to see if anything you need is at that exit.
At some of the exits the businesses listed are located half mile off the road over on old RT 220. Still not bad if in a pinch.

Rockingham. Couple fast food and fuel stops. Large travel plaza just before RT 74.
Across RT 74. No rest stops. Several fuel and food locations. Scattered out. Not the most convenient stretch of the trip. We tap danced our way across there the first couple times until we learned where everything was.