Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US Hwy 52 with updates
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 pm 

Location: Kernersville, NC (Physically), Myrtle Beach, SC (Mentally)
For many of you that travel the route through Winston Salem, some rather large construction is taking place through this area. Several bridges are being replaced and lane changes are designed like a snake. Expect short delays, the construction is schedule to be complete in Nov. 2012.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Last edited by lost-in MB on Fri May 13, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: US Hwy 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm 

Thanks, that's good to know.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:39 pm 

Location: Kernersville, NC (Physically), Myrtle Beach, SC (Mentally)
Ok, now it gets more complicated. The DOT has now decided that starting in June 2011, the are going to revamp all lanes and ramps to Business I-40. This will also go through at least November 2012. All of this will now have a 4 mile stretch of construction. This will affect most of you folks that take the 74-52-40-220 route. Good luck in your travels.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 pm 

I know we have not yet gotten to summer travel season, but can anyone offer any insight as to how this has been (business 40 between 52 and 220), travelwise? Would it be better to take non-business 40 between 52 and 220? I also saw where someone suggested staying on 52 south to Lexington and taking 64 to 220. Any recent firsthand knowledge?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 pm 

Was through Winston Salem last week. Southbound mid day on a Friday and northbound a week later on a Saturday. No problems.

I don't think the problems you're thinking about are on I40. The construction is on RT 52 just north of Winston Salem.

Two lanes each direction still open. Some extra curves and lane shifts. Maybe a temporay bridge or two. 45 mph for a few miles which actually makes it easier to navigate through the area.

We took the exit for Business 40. No major problems except the usual cluster at top of ramp when you merge onto I 40. Gotta merge fast.

It has been mentioned that another option would be to stay on I77 to RT 421. RT421 over to I 40 at Winston Salem. Unless I hear of problems later in summer I'm planning on staying with RT52 next trip.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:12 pm 

I don't know if this will help anyone or not.....we will be going through the end of June so I googled to see what it said and found this:

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Road Construction Projects In Winston-Salem NC

Over the last couple of years, the NC D.O.T. has been working on several different road construction projects that have impacted the route driven by Myrtle Beach vacationers that travel from Ohio, West Virginia and Virginia.

Since many folks travel the route of I-77 to the I-74 connector to highway 52 South through Winston-Salem, the ongoing construction projects outlined below will most likely affect your commute in one way or another.

1) KING-TOBACCOVILLE ROAD (MAIN STREET). BRIDGE RECONSTRUCT. RJR ENTRANCE TO SR 1115 (KIRBY ROAD). WIDEN TO MULTI-LANES. INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS AT SR 1105 (MEADOWBROOK ROAD).

The first phase of the above project is now complete with the bridge over Highway 52 being used for traffic. The second phase of the project is beginning (spring 2011) with the removal of concrete debris and the constructing of the second bridge over Highway 52, which will complete the widening of King-Tobaccoville road. The projected completion date for the entire project is End Date*: 8/15/2011. This remains to be seen of course with weather delays and the like.

2) REPLACE BRIDGE NO. 256 AND NO. 257 OVER NORFOLK SOUTHERN RAILROAD -
UNDER CONSTRUCTION! https://apps.dot.sta...spx?ProjID=3612

The above project is the one all travelers should be aware of. This project is now taking place at the bridges over the railway lines where you can see the Winston-Salem Smith-Reynolds airport from the highway. A new traffic pattern is in place for both North and Southbound lanes. The southbound lanes of Highway 52 take you over a new, tall bridge of steel and asphalt. The entrance speed to the bridge is 45 mph and should be heeded, because coming off the bridge, you bear around to the right, and there are many lane dividing concrete barriers that direct the pattern. This asphalt can also become slippery in wet weather. The traffic pattern for the northbound lanes have also changed and have been altered. Since the NC DOT is in the process of building a new northbound lane, what was the old southbound lane is now being used as the northbound lanes. When you exit off the existing bridge, (going north) the traffic pattern is again altered. You will swerve to the right. This presently under construction project will have the potential to slow traffic in the coming summer months as the new northbound lane bridge is built.

Part Two: Road Construction Project in Greensboro/Guilford County

This project will only affect you if you are traveling on Business I-40 between Gallimore Dairy road and Highway 220.
Since the newly constructed I-40 bypass has opened, many of you are taking that route to get to Highway 220 south, instead of going the old way of Business I-40 to just past High Point Road to Highway 220.

A new bridge that has been under construction for what seems like ages is still under construction over I-40 just after the Guilford College Road exit. This bridge is part of a new connector road that will continue the urban loop around Greensboro. The I-40 lanes have been reduced from 4 to 3 at this juncture, so be aware if you are traveling in this area.

Raymond - Moderator
Discover Myrtle Beach
http://www.DiscoverMyrtleBeach.com
Follow us on Facebook: Discover Myrtle Beach Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:53 am 

@ohiomom57 -

The update you posted from Raymonds DMB site, i actually wrote and sent it to him. Just an ironic FYI