Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:44 pm 

pitsypits wrote:
Well, since most people who travel to MB and go the "Rockingham way" know how to get to Rockingham, I will only post from there. I didn't put these under OH, Pa or anywhere else, you already know who you are. :lol: Everybody has their favorite way and miles vs time vs interstate vs off the beaten track. I'm not going to debate that again here, I just wanted to give the routes we took and the ease for which they provide an access to the beach. We've taken this route back TWICE now from the beach and just really like it...it's easy.

From Rockingham:

I74E to Laurinburg. Stay on I74 and don't take 74business at any time all the way to Chadbourn. At Chadbourn you will pick up 410S to Tabor City here you will pick up 710. 710 runs right into Route 9. Take Route 9 to 31S (& 22) if you are headed to MB & South Strand.

Of course, you can stay on 9 if you are headed to Little River, etc. You can also take 31S to Main St Connector now, I see on the map if you are staying in NMB.

Honestly, I would still take this route if I was going to the Southern Strand as it goes all the way to 544. 31 is an awesomely unused road. JMHO

We took this route back again this time and made it from SeaWatch to just past Wyethville in 5.5 hours. That's pretty good time. Only a few places for several miles is it a 2 lane route.

This is the way we go, too. I love it! :nanner: Very nice drive and no traffic. We usually pull into MB at 4PM. :sunny:

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 pm 

My favorite, and I find the ultimate time-saver, is taking 501 at Laurenburg to Rowland. At Rowland, go straight on, proceeding on 130, to 904. Take 904 to Tabor City, and then hop on 701 south to 9. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Its a fairly straight shot up til Tabor City if you look at a map. This route is not for the faint of heart though, as its mostly country travel (rather than freeway), and with a few critical turns along the way. Its the fastest I've found though, and little, if any, traffic. I like it much better than coming out of Dillon on 9. Much less traffic and speed limit changes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:18 pm 

I actually have gone this way, too, Kevin. Hee, hee...I'm always up for a different way. It was great as well. If I remember correctly, there was a stretch where you wondered if you were going the right way...kinda solitary!

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:43 am 

Agreed - the word "desolate" comes to mind for most of that stretch, and people should not expect alot of gas stations or other pitstops along that route. I'm like a little kid when it comes to traveling to MB. When plannng for a trip, I always hope some new route route will pop up which will shave some time off the trip, while striking a reasonable balance between highway and non-highway roads. The 1/2 hour to 45 minutes that this non-freeway route takes isn't bad at all in my opinion, particularly compared to the headaches you can run into on Rt 9 coming out of Dillon. Also, back when Ellerbe NC was the big headache, I tried going by way of Pinehurst, trying to cut time. Never again.