Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:41 am 

I am sure you are on your way already...there is not really a great way to detour from I-77 south through WV with out taking 2 lane roads through OH or WV...you might check on google maps and see where you can get on 52 south in WV...we have taken it northbound from Mt Airy, NC when traffic was an issue on I-70...is is a winding road ...but not bad...we have never taken it SB so I cant tell you where to get on...maybe Beckley, WV...
I hope what ever way you go you do not have a lot of traffic issues...I will be interested in hearing how it is for your trip as we leave August 2...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:48 pm 

Thank you for your suggestions! We were leaving home at 3:30 AM tomorrow but something came up yesterday and I just got off the phone with Sea Watch to cancel :(. I will have to live through everyone's trip reports this summer!!!

Safe travels and hopefully people will give updates on the southbound situation for you. I read somewhere that they are doing crossovers now and actual construction won't start until August - so hopefully that will be after you go through there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 am 

oh no...sorry you had to cancel your trip! I hope there will be plenty of trip reports to tide you over until you are able to visit the beach again!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:13 am 

Sorry you've had to cancel your trip. I've done that many times. The bright side is reading others trip reports and planning your next trip.

Hope all is ok.

Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album
Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

So sorry you had to cancel. Hopefully you will be able to reschedule before long!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 pm 

Came through this morning at 8:00. North bound was 1 lane from the tunnel to Princeton. Since it was Sunday no work was going on. South bound was clear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 pm 

We head down on Aug 11th so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any updates.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:19 pm 

Won't be able to squeeze a trip in before school starts this year.......shortly after new grand baby comes BUT hopefully next summer we will be able to bring the whole crew down!!! We will have a 2 year old and a 9 month old to have fun with on the beach!!! It will be a totally new and different type of beach vacation but looking forward to it!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:54 pm 

Anybody been through this mess recently? Need an update soon please.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:05 pm 

These are the most current updates from TripAdvisor.

52 of 56 ·
At the moment, 4:00 on Sunday afternoon, it’s backed up about 4 miles from the tunnel.

Guess it was about 2 miles when we went through on Thursday and got off at 606.

56 of 56 ·
Traffic is already backed WAY up! (1:14pm Saturday) Might be too late for lots of travelers, but check out the website for the camera shots...

http://www.511virginia.org/

Almost one hour to go 15 miles.

Take the I-81/to Dublin Rt 100 north to 460 route!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:45 pm 

What I was reading today is that the north bound lanes were due for completion tomorrow but the rainy weather has affected that date. It is now tentatively scheduled to be done "around the 20th" according to the report. Could be sooner or later depending on the weather.

I'm leaving northern ohio on the 11th and coming home the 17th. It might work out for us in that no construction south bound for us and may be done on north bound when we come home. Wouldn't that be flipping awesome?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:53 pm 

yes it would. We leave from Charleston, WV on the 11th, coming back on the 18th. If southbound is done then fingers crossed northbound will be done by the 17th.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:04 pm 

Hi, everyone. Here are some updates from my family's travels during the month of July/early August. Hopefully this will help if you're traveling to/from points north of Princeton, West Virginia on I-77.

My sister and brother-in-law left Mineral Wells, West Virginia (which is about an hour north of Charleston) at 4:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 21 and didn't hit any traffic anywhere - not Princeton/Wytheville, not Rockingham. Traffic slowed down a little for them as they were approaching Cherry Grove on Hwy 9/Sea Mountain Highway, but other than that, it was smooth sailing. I got to fly down on Sunday with my niece and precious 3-month-old great-nephew. He was so good on the flight (as were all of the other little ones, which was pretty amazing). My nephew (niece's husband) left Charleston around 10:00 a.m. on Monday, July 23 and didn't hit any traffic anywhere. He arrived in Cherry Grove around 5:00 p.m.

As for the trip home, I sadly flew home on Thursday, and everyone else was planning to drive home on Saturday (the 28th). I had been monitoring the VDOT 511 app on my phone, and we determined that they would need to leave Cherry Grove between 3 and 4 a.m. on Saturday to avoid the bottleneck at the Virginia/West Virginia border. They stopped in Wytheville, and made it to the bottleneck area by 8:40 a.m., avoiding a slowdown. However, by 10:00 a.m., the traffic was at a standstill, so they JUST made it!

Now, my OTHER sister and her family drove down the following Monday (July 30), and since they traveled on a Monday, they had a similar travel experience to my nephew's. On the way home, they knew they wouldn't be so lucky, as 1) they're not early risers, ha! and 2) they were going to have to make a side trip to Florence to give a friend a ride home after a family medical issue. I had found them an alternate route that they fell in love with!

At the I-81/I-77 junction, instead of heading toward Wytheville, they took I-81 North to Highway 100 to Highway 460 to I-77 at Princeton:
I-81 North to Exit 98 (100 North) (about 8 miles)
100 North to 460 West (left turn) (about 25 miles)
460 West to I-77 North (about 25 miles)

My brother-in-law said Highway 100 is a beautiful route that is mostly 4-lane except for one area. They were so impressed with the route that he said they may avoid the tunnels altogether in the future. He estimated that the detour added about 30 minutes, but that definitely beats sitting in bumper to bumper traffic! My husband and I may try this route out when we go in September.

So in summary:
-I highly recommend downloading the VDOT 511 app to your phone so you can check out the traffic cameras along I-77. (You'll want to monitor the I-77/MM 65.2 SB camera)
-If you're wanting to avoid the weekend bottleneck at the VA/WV border, time your trip so you'll be in West Virginia by 9:30 or so.
-Consider the Highway 100 detour!

Best of luck to everyone traveling soon. I can't wait to go back!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

I see that MBKY suggested the same detour! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm 

JennyH wrote:
I see that MBKY suggested the same detour! :)

Mine was just pure plagiarism :oops: , stole from TripAdvisor. I'm sure you know much more about it than i do since that's not my route in. Lol