Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:30 pm 

Coming from upstate NY... Usually I take route 81 to Winchester, then from winchester i head down 17 to i95 and then south that way. I have noticed a couple people recommend that I take an alternate route thru Virginia.

They advised to take 81 to Staunton and then end up on route 29 thru greensboro and then end up taking 74 and 38 to bennetsville and then 501 south. According to google maps this is around 30 minutes longer then my usual way. But i heard its much less headaches then 95 and a very smooth drive... I dont care about the 30 minute trip time.. im breaking it up in two days.. But has anyone done this route? is it worth the extra 30 minutes or so?
I may add, my wife has a big fear of traffic... she has hard time merging in and out..thats why i was thinking this route thru 29 would be easier as less traffic especially avoiding the i95 rush... What i dont want, is to add hours onto the trip though....Thank you much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

We live on the NY/Canada border and have tried many different routes, but not the one suggested!! We have taken 64 across to 288, to bypass Richmond. A bit longer, but avoids the crazy traffic around Fredericksburg and Richmond! Occasionally we'll take 40 across to Wilmington just to change things up!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 am 

What we do is 81, 83, 15, 29/17 South and hop on 95 right at Fredericksburg. 15 does add some time onto the trip, but you avoid all the nonsense around Washington DC, plus its very scenic. The last 3 years we went this way, we hit Richmond right after the rush and blew right through. We haven't sat in traffic in years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:29 am 

I've done part of the trip you are asking about. Remember, a lot of this has to do with what time of day you are driving (in particular for I-95), but in general, I 81 to Staunton is so much easier and less busy than the 95 trek, no matter what time of day you are on it. Route 29 is very attractive, very nice and easy to drive.

After this point, I am not familiar with the route they suggested.

I can tell you this though. Depending on what time you are in the Greensboro area, you might consider this. If it is busy daytime (AM or PM rush hours), maybe dont do this. But if you can avoid the really busy times, consider taking I-40 from the Greensboro area all the way to Wilmington NC, and then 17 south. I-40 is NEVER busy, and it's oh so fast and open.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn