Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:34 pm 

NORTH MYRTLE BEACH -- Tents might no longer be allowed on the beach in North Myrtle Beach after the City Council gave initial approval Monday to prohibit the use of tents and similar shading devices on the city's beach.

Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/07/20/15 ... ni_popular

Breakers August 2010
Grand Atlantic June 2010
Breakers June 2009
Breakers June 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:23 pm 

Horry County is also considering a similar ordinance: (the article says Myrtle Beach though)

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/06/29/15 ... =mirelated

I kinda saw this coming, particularly this year it just seems like they are everywhere. As usual, it's more of a people problem than anything else. If people used a little common sense and courtesy it wouldn't be so much of a problem. Like anything else though, if you give people an inch, they take a mile, and soon we have an entire beach covered in tents from sun up to sun down. It's kinda sad they already had to ban them from being left out overnight because they were being left up for weeks at a time.

Breakers August 2010
Grand Atlantic June 2010
Breakers June 2009
Breakers June 2008

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:21 pm 

http://media.thesunnews.com/smedia/2010 ... ate.78.jpg One picture is worth a thousand wordsImage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:34 am 

FYI: From the Charlotte Observer

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/1 ... tents.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am 

That's what I expected they would do.

I have no idea where the sailboat thing came from though. :off-topic:

Breakers August 2010
Grand Atlantic June 2010
Breakers June 2009
Breakers June 2008

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:01 pm 

I've been going to MB for 40 years or more... we NEVER had tents on the beach back then and we survived. There were umbrellas but they were set up behind the life guards.

Also... being a life guard in my younger years, I'd rather 'SEE' a drowning person than have to hear about one.

I think that had common sense prevailed and people put their tents up BEHIND the line of vision of the life guards, this would never had to become an issue. That picture says it all! This is a safety issue that can be the difference between life or death.

Boundaries are set for a reason in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 am 

Was just wondering if there was any resolution to this ? I was under the impression that the canopies HAD to be set up behind the life guards line of umbrellas. We have been bringing canopies and chairs for the last several years and have found it to be much more convienient as well as much more cost effective. Umbrellas and chairs for a group of 8 adds up. Whats the going rate for the umbrella / chair package anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:01 pm 

You will be fine with your canopy, just follow the rules, which are pretty obvious, behind the beach rental ones, not close together and be off the beach by 7ish and not up before 7ish. There may be a few more reg's, just use common sence.

Enjoy the beach

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:53 pm 

http://www.nmb.us/

Tried to just post the law but nothing seems to work tonight. Should be a link here that will pull up the new law.

Nothing major. Just common sense stuff they had to have in writing so it can now be enforced.

Think the worst areas for canopies is around Sea Mountain and Main Street. Those are the largest and most convenient public access points. Have seen it look like a tent city there a few times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 pm 

Just need my chair and my cooler!

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers
2003-Compass Cove
2004-Panama City Beach
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Dated March 11, 2011 - The Associated Press

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (AP) — The millions of tourists who visit South Carolina’s Grand Strand could soon have only one set of beach rules to worry about.

The Sun News of Myrtle Beach reports a committee of local mayors and Horry County Council Chairman Tom Rice has endorsed almost two dozen uniform rules for everything from tents to dogs on the beach.

Rules now vary by municipality in Horry County, causing confusion for visitors along the section of coast that is the heart of South Carolina’s $18 billion tourism industry. An estimated 14 million tourists visit each year.

The rules, endorsed Wednesday, must still be approved individually by the half-dozen municipalities. The mayors hope the rules can take effect this summer.

One of the main issues was beach tents, which have become increasingly popular in recent seasons.

The tents have created problems, as emergency workers have had to weave through the tents on crowded beaches to respond to incidents. There have also been disputes between beachgoers seeking prime spots for their tents.

The proposed new rules regulate where the tents can be placed on the beach. They also may not be set up before 8 a.m. and must be removed by 7 p.m.

Horry County Beach Patrol officer Jack Stewart, a member of the committee that came up with the proposed rules, said he often gets questions from tourists about dogs on the beach.

The proposed new rules also require dogs be on hand-held leashes no longer than 7 feet and bans the pets from the beach between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. from May 1 through Labor Day.

Other rules concern fireworks, sleeping on the beach and fishing from piers.

More on page 2. See in link below. By Associated Press, The New York Times:

http://tinyurl.com/6c5vmt3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:47 pm 

We have a canopy but have always kept it back.I can clearly see where it is a problem for the lifeguards.I know if I was renting umbrellas from the city I would not happy with someone putting a tent in front of me.

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 pm 

I am so glad those tents were out of control!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38 am 

I do agree that some people put their tents too close together , but with that said I am glad they didnt ban the tents because my husband is pretty fair skinned so being in the sun all day is something he just cannot do , plus we normally have our nephew with us and he is 10 so it gives him a place to get some shade as well . I think if everyone uses a little common sense and shows respect for others on the beach there wont be any problems .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:38 pm 

Six-foot umbrellas have gotten very inexpensive and sometimes the lifeguard will dig the hole for you! Two umbrellas side by side provide a lot of shade. We've been coming to the beach for over 40 years and with a family full of fair skin and freckles. I love the sight of all the different colorful umbrellas on the beach!