Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 pm 

There was a truck fire in the northbound East River tunnel at the W.V. / VA. line on 7/25 and the tunnel could be closed for up to a week.

http://www.bdtonline.com/local/x1973718 ... ain-Tunnel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:36 pm 

Haven't heard yet how bad the damage is or how long. Odd thing is for several years now. Just up the road above Beckley. The old Turnpike tunnel has been used for fire training. Crews from around the country and around the world have traveled there to practice fighting fires in tunnels, subways, etc.
Big tunnel fire less than an hour away and it took half the day to get it under control.

If anybody is traveling the route this week might look at I 81 north to Dublin, VA. RT 100 to Pearisburg, VA. RT 460 back over to Princeton and I 77. Ball park might add 45 minutes to an hour to trip but would beat sitting in traffic on I 77.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:10 pm 

Not a bad route, pop. I'll take that into serious consideration if this isn't cleaned up in the next three weeks. Thank you, sir.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:29 am 

According to the WVDOT, the southbound lanes reopened last night a little after 10:00. The northbound lanes COULD be reopened sometime overnight tonight. Apparently the damage wasn't all that bad after all. This could have been so much worse and for a lot longer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:20 am 

https://www.facebook.com/59news?fref=photo

https://www.facebook.com/

Something to think about....
"Government " air pollution regulations require newer diesel trucks to be equipped with a regenerate system on the exhaust. Pretty much a catalytic converter. Exhaust gets red hut to burn the soot out of the system. Early versions would get so hot it would melt the asphalt under the truck.
Newer versions use DEF. You'll see labels on the side of the tank and at fuel stops where it's sold. Has to be added separate and added to separate tank. System adds the fluid in route to help with regen process.
Truck fires have been on increase. Few months back the Fed Ex truck in California was on fire when it crossed median and hit tour bus is just one example.
No fires at our barn but there have been units out of service where the exhaust was burned through.
"Experts" say the exhaust isn't the problem. There were witnesses in the California wreck that claimed truck was on fire before the wreck. "Experts" say there is no evidence of it..........Seems odd to me.......

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:45 am 

UPDATE: The right land of Interstate 77 Northbound has reopened through the East River Mountain Tunnel.

According to Michelle Earl with the Virginia Department of Transportation, crews are reopening Interstate 81 exit 72 to give drivers access to I-77 north.

Traffic will be moving slowly. Earl reminds drivers to use caution.

Electrical repairs inside the tunnel continue. No time frame for reopening the left lane has been established.