Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best stop over hotel?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:32 pm 

It's amazing how many Ohioans visit MB. My brother and his wife are taking an improptu babymoon there this weekend, and our neighbors are heading there tomorrow. We'll be down in August.

We are stopping over with family for 2 nights in North Wilkesboro NC for the early part of our trip. From our house in SoOh, it should take us about 6 hours to get there. Then, another 5 or so hours to MB early on a Monday. When we leave, we'll be checking out on a Friday. I'm thinking making the 10-11 hour drive all the way home in one day will be too hard on our kiddos. So where is a good stop over point about halfway or more back to Ohio? Clean affordable hotel with breakfast included, maybe a local attraction of some kind, even if it's just a nice park. We considered going out of the way a little to go to Asheville NC to see a cousin, but are undecided at this point.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle? O-HI-O

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:31 pm 

May not be the right place for you but last year we found the Sleep Inn in Summersville WV. They just finished renovating. They offer a nice breakfast and 24hr coffee in the lobby.

LINK

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:27 pm 

Wytheville, VA has a lot of hotel options that might fit. I do know they have a Hampton Inn and Marriott property that offer free breakfast. I don't know as far as the attractions, but we have stayed in this area 3 times so far. We usually let the kids swim and get tired, then off to bed for an early am rise to hit the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:53 pm 

Terry & I stayed in COUNTRY INN & SUITES by Carlson in Wytheville, VA...this past Easter. It was very nice...had an indoor pool...and a good breakfast...similar but more options for food than Holiday Inn Express...I think it was on Peppers Ferry Road...easy on /off I 77...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:33 pm 

How old are the kids?
Beckley, WV would be about 7 hours from MB. Couple good motels right off the exit. Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine not far off the road. Educational stop for kids if old enough. Could hit motel and do mine next day before doing last 3-4 hours home.
Shopping at Tamarack would be nice for the wife.
North of Beckley on RT 19. Maybe another 30 minutes. Fayetteville. Home to several outdoor adventure outfitters and New River Gorge Bridge. Several motels right on RT 19. Some great dining options. Dirty Ernie's, Pies and Pints.....
Again. If kids are old enough. Adventures On The Gorge is easy to get to. They have great rope, ladder, obstacle coarse running through the trees maybe 20' off the ground. (safety ropes required)
Even if kids are small. Visitor's center for the bridge is at north end of bridge. Great overlooks. Long walks down and back up stairs but well worth an hour or so for the stop.