Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:11 pm 

Hello Everyone!

I will be traveling from Columbus to Garden City Beach on Saturday July 6th.

Anyone have great directions to share?

I'm traveling with my wife, 4 yo son, and 2 yo daughter. So I'm hoping to minimize the drive time as much as possible for the little ones.

I also have the option of heading down on the 5th if that would put us in less traffic.

Thank you! :ac15[1]: :nanner:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:23 pm 

Good news is that you should be coming in the weekend after the biggest crowd of the year leaves. Traffic leaving MB will be horrible, so luckily you will be arriving and not leaving that day. Regardless, MB will still be crowded. You will be taking a different route that I do, so I can't help you with that part. My philosophy on driving to MB during peak season is to always arrive at the beach before lunch time. That should put you in there before the checking-in day crowd starts arriving. Have lunch and shop at broadway at the beach a few hours and it should be about time for your room to be ready.

One other tip, leave early a.m the day you leave. Traffic is a nightmare by 8 a.m. leaving the beach on a Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:32 am 

Ah yes!! Another fellow Buckeye. O-H!!! I live in Sandusky and have been traveling to Myrtle for years. The fastest I've ever made it there is 12 hours. I'm assuming you'll be around 10.5 to 11 hours depending your actual departure area. Regardless, you'll be heading to I-77 and following the same route the rest of us do as there isn't much choice other than that. Some folks love to stay on I-77 through Charolotte, NC and then take I-20 east towards Myrtle. Many of us take another route that includes a lot of non-interstate roads but could save a lot of time and certainly cuts off a few miles. If you'd like more specificity, I'd be glad to help. PM me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:57 am 

Two ways to get from Columbus to Charleston, WV. Either down RT 23 and RT 35 to I 64....or..... across RT 33 to Ravenswood and pick up I 77. Really depends on which side of Columbus you live on. Bottom line...Get to I 77.

Follow I 77 through WV, VA and into NC. At the foot of long downgrade (Fancy Gap) into NC you will see I 74 bearing off to the left. Take I 74 to towards Mt Airy. Below Mt Airy I 74 merges with RT 52 and run together to Winston Salem. You'll see signs for both.

Construction through Winston Salem. Haven't heard any horror stories this year so my guess is everything is smooth sailing. Two chances to hit I 40. You will pass an exit for I 40 Business. Skip that one. Mile down the road is another exit for I 40. You want the ramp for I 40 East.

Next little stretch is new to me. Just opened up the last week or so. Others might help me if I'm wrong. A short hop out I 40 should be an exit for RT 311. New bypass that runs diagonal down through High Point and hits RT 220/I 73 just above Asheboro. Cuts out driving through Greensboro that we have been doing for a few years now. Last section just opened.

RT 220/I 73 runs you into Rockingham. Watch out the last few miles through Ellerbe. Known speed trap. Rockingham to MB is where it gets tricky. The more people you ask the more routes will be suggested.
South side of Rockingham you need RT 74 East. Some will suggest Taking RT 38 off of RT 74 and run it down to RT 501. Some will say stay on RT 74 to Laurinburg and hit RT 501 there.

RT 501 through Marion and Conway. At Conway RT 544 turns off to the right and runs you to Ocean Blvd and Surfside which is just above Garden City.

Peak summer weeks the traffic can be gridlocked through Conway on Saturday afternoons. Earlier you can hit that area the better. If that can't be worked into your travel plans there is an alternate route. Few miles longer but less traffic. Peak summer traffic might be faster.
Back on RT 74. Stay on RT 74 all the way across to Chadbourn. Top of exit ramp turn right onto RT 410. Straight shot through town and down to RT 701. Right onto RT 701 for just a mile or two to RT 9.( 25 miles of 410/701 is only two lane of entire trip)

RT 9 to Little River and RT 31. RT 31 is by pass to south end of Grand Strand. Ends at RT 544 just outside of Surfside.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:47 pm 

iam on the west side of columbus we use the 33 too 77/64 to rt.20 east its around 10 hours . we leave around 4 in morn.so you miss rush hours in most of the big cities.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:52 pm 

Thanks for the replies everyone!

We ended up not leaving on our first sch3dued date (the week after the 4th). My son (4 years old) broke his collar bone six days prior to departure.

The new date is 8/12. I live North of Columbus and had always taken rt. 33 down to Myrtle and Hilton Head Island. A lot of people have told me to try rt. 23 because it is faster. So we are going to try 23 out this year.

I'm going to study the directions above and will report back!

Thanks again! :bounce:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 am 

ohiobuckeye wrote:
My son (4 years old) broke his collar bone six days prior to departure.

Good Lord, I hope he's doing better. Glad that you were able to reschedule your trip so you don't miss the beach this year. And I hope your little guy is healed enough to have a great time on the beach. We'll be there next week, and I promise to leave you a few shrimp, but I can't make any promises about leaving hushpuppies! Have a great vacation!

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 am 

ohiobuckeye wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone!

We ended up not leaving on our first sch3dued date (the week after the 4th). My son (4 years old) broke his collar bone six days prior to departure.

The new date is 8/12. I live North of Columbus and had always taken rt. 33 down to Myrtle and Hilton Head Island. A lot of people have told me to try rt. 23 because it is faster. So we are going to try 23 out this year.

I'm going to study the directions above and will report back!

Thanks again! :bounce:

We started taking 23 a few years ago and like it much better. We are NW of Columbus. Have a safe trip!

P.S. Allan - we will drive extra slow through Charleston in September just for you! :sunny: :

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:42 pm 

Jan wrote:
ohiobuckeye wrote:

P.S. Allan - we will drive extra slow through Charleston in September just for you! :sunny: :

Well....You just go ahead and do that. I was going to warn you about the new no cell phone while driving law down here but now I won't.............
Besides. If things go as planned.....We'll be leaving Friday morning and should be somewhere between here and the beach while you hold up traffic in the left lane here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 pm 

:chairfall: :hysterical:

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:46 pm 

:ac41[1]:
Good one, Alan!
:hysterical:
Karen in Upstate SC