Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kohr Family Custard
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:57 am 

Stopped here while walking thorugh BATB one day at my wife's urging. Now, I may be biased because Dayton, OH has some really good frozen custard places and this place just did not measure up. We walked in and there was a counter with a large machine with spouts for the custard to come out. Wife and I both got Waffle Cones which were $1 extra. I got PB/Chocolate and she got Orange/Vanilla. Didn't really taste like custard to me, no better than a cone from DQ in my opinion, just more expensive, $14 for 2 waffle cones. Don't think I would go back.

Post subject: Re: Kohr Family Custard
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

THIS is the outfit that moved into the Goodberry Creamery at BAB. Wally and I thought we would go to Goodberry's the night we ended up at Froyoz. The first thing we noticed: Goodberry's was gone, and this new (to us) Kohr had moved in.

Oh well, we thought. So we went inside. It was deserted. (Clue #1.) We looked at the walls, expecting to see a menu somewhere, but we didn't. (Clue 2.) The girl was standing (alone) behind the counter. "Where is your menu?" we asked. She pointed to it, propped up by the cash register. Size about 5x7, so we had to cozy up to read it. (Clue #3.) The prices were much higher than we wanted to pay, and we figured if the quality was worth the money, we would not have been the only people there. We left.

I'm glad you posted this review. If it had been glowingly positive, we would probably give it a 2nd chance. Thanks for saving us the time and money.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:40 pm 

My family and I had ice cream here a couple of years ago and were not impressed at all. We had 5 people in our party and we all ordered ice cream. The total came to $40+ and my dad was floored. After they told us the amount (and after some people in our party started to eat their ice cream) we realized that there were no prices posted anywhere on their menus or around the store. My dad tried to ask them about the price breakdown but the people behind the counter acted like they couldn't understand what we were saying and just went to serve the family behind us. Like I said, it's been a couple of years since we've been here so I don't know if they have the prices listed now or not. The ice cream was nothing to write home about and we actually felt stupid for stopping there. The family behind us was a party of 10 and they too were surprised at their total. They fought back and forth with the people who worked there and as they left they shouted that they would be contacting the BBB about their store.

Out of curiosity, I just googled "Kohr Family Ice Cream Myrtle Beach" and nearly all of the reviews are negative. It looks like people have had the same experiences we had.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:59 pm 

Glad I could save some people a regretful experience.

elegant, They do have prices posted on the menu now...I believe it is 5.95 for a cone or cup with another $1 for a waffle cone. Honestly, not sure why they need a menu, you just tell them which lever to pull and they ask what kind of cone you want. I would be surprised if they last but I've been surprised before.

Patrish, I wish I would have looked at the "menu" prior to my wife ordering as I probably would have suggested that we move on as well.

Chalk this up to lesson learned!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:32 pm 

Oh my!! This is the one that I went to and had my first ice cream / frozen custard in 7 years. I loved it. I would go back here anytime. Though I agree, it was way overpriced and the girls at the counter weren't very friendly. If this place doesn't have good frozen custard, can someone *please* tell me who does? Yummy! We don't have anything like this in our town.
Angela

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:00 pm 

Angela, I can't specifically answer for MB as I am not sure if there are other frozen custard places there. All that a google search brought up was Goodberry's and looks like they might be closed now per the post above from Patrish. To me, the problem with Kohr was that it was too much like ice cream and not enough like custard. I tend to think of custard as being richer and creamier than ice cream. Nothing was inherently bad about Kohr, just not worth the price, and not the frozen custard I am used to.

To answer your question though, the two places that I go for custard and would consider *good* are JD's and Ritter's. Ritter's is probably more well-known and I think have expanded to a few other states now, even Florida I want to say. When I google'd frozen custard, a few places came up but mostly in the Midwest so maybe the "good stuff", at least IMO, is more of a regional thing. I'm not sure. Let me know if you ever make it to Dayton, OH and I'll put you in front of some good frozen custard!