Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 am 

Hi ,we are coming down for spring break March 19-26. We will spend the last 4 nights in Myrtle Beach at Dunes Village Resort as we usually do, but we are going to spend the first 3 nights in Charleston ,which we've never been to. Patrish, I saw you have spent some considerable time there and wonder if you or others have any tips. We are staying at the King Charles Inn which is in the historic district and plan on doing a carriage tour, walking around the area and sightseeing , going to a plantation(probably Magnolia) and also tour Patriot's Point. We love southern cuisine and seafood but don't want anything high end as we will mostly eat at casual places as our son is 6. Any other suggestions you have for sites to see or restaurants would be welcomed. There are 3 of us. We may do a side trip to Folly Beach or Sullivan's Island as well .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Cheap Eats Charleston:

http://www.10best.com/destinations/sout ... est-value/

http://charleston.eater.com/maps/15-bes ... charleston

There's also the Seewee Restaurant where we usually stop on our way home from Charleston.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... olina.html

And if you have time, be sure to see some of the islands that surround Charleston:
http://www.funbeaches.com/islands-of-charleston.html

You did not mention Ft. Sumter. Go if you are a history buff. There's a ferry that will take you back and forth. If you are NOT that interested in history you may find it a little on the boring side.

The Magnolia Plantation is beautiful.

Your schedule sounds wonderful. Could you pack in your trunk and take me along? I promise not to eat much! :clown:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:12 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll have to try the Seewee restaurant on our way out, it looked like our kind of place. We may also go to the Children's museum there but may skip the aquarium as we have never done the Ripley's aquarium in Myrtle Beach and may do that this time. We are really looking forward to this trip. I have been working out and trying to lose some weight in advance so we can get ready for eating all that delicious food down there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

We finally got to the aquarium in Charleston, several years after we moved here, and after we had been to Ripley's Aquarium several times. I'll tell you, I didn't think the aquarium in Charleston can hold a candle to ours in MB.

Maybe my expectations were too high. After all, it is named THE SOUTH CAROLINA MUSEUM. With a name like that, I expected a lot more than I got. It WAS a lot bigger. But in this case, I don't think size matters.

Just my opinion. I'll look forward to hearing yours if you decide to go!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:31 am 

Charleston has a few breweries you can check out too. I'm still trying to get there for the historic aspect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:49 am 
Site Admin

LOL! Maybe you should put the historic aspect ahead of the breweries. Just say'n :clown:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 am 

Jestine’s Kitchen is on our list of places to eat each time we trek down to Charleston for a few days. The food is very good, as is the service (love the fried chicken,) it isn't expensive, has a great story behind it, and Dana, the owner, is the nicest person you could meet. I believe it is only a block or so from the King Charles Inn on Meeting Street.

http://jestineskitchen.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:12 pm 

Hello everyone. Its been a long time since I posted anything here. I hope everyone’s doing well.

My lovely wife, Jodie (also from northern Virginia) and I are also planning a trip to Charleston this Spring. Its not our first time visiting Charleston so we are looking for things we haven't done before. Our plans are geared more for adults, but we have planned some things that you might enjoy with your 6 year old. For example, we are going to go to see Angel Oak, which for which I am given to believe charges no admission. In the same neighborhood as Angel Oak is the only tea plantation in North America. Ive never been there, but folks online say that there’s not much to see unless they are actively processing tea, in which case it is quite interesting and worth a visit. We will check on their production schedule before we go. A walk to the end of Folly Beach costs nothing, except perhaps parking, and gives you the best view of the Morris Island Lighthouse, surrounded by ocean. We are considering a visit to Charlestowne Landing, which might be a fun place for a 6 year old to visit if you are interested in early Charleston history. Among other things they have some replica 17th century sailing ships that you can tour and learn what live was like aboard such a vessel. We are also considering the Avian Conservation Center where they rehabilitate birds of prey. They hawks, eagles, owls and the like, as well as flight demonstrations staring the birds themselves. A walk through the City Market costs only as much as you want it to. People often call it the Slave market, but slaves were never sold there. The actual Slave Mart is located on Chalmers st. and includes a small museum. That might be interesting, depending on how much history you and your son want to take in. We are planning to do a blackwater canoe trip through the low country swamp but haven't decided on which company to use. You can book 2hr 4hr or full day trips. We are probably going to do the 2 hour tour. If you are adventurous you might find that fun.

I second the recommendation for Jestine’s Kitchen. Its not too expensive and it’s famous for its Southern fare. Last time we were there for brunch I got shrimp and grits with a mimosa. It still makes me smile. Across the street from Jestine’s is a historic fire house, built during the days of horse drawn fire apparatus. The station is still in use, equipped of course with modern fire fighting equipment. However, the trucks at this station were specially designed to have all the required modern capabilities, but still be small enough to fit through the bay doors without having to modify the historic building. Get your son to notice the wheels on the truck and how they are smaller than normal and how low the trucks sit to the ground. Its something that you probably wouldn't notice if you didn't know to look.

The carriage tour is an excellent choice. Its educational and quintessential Charleston.

A guided walking tour around town costs around 20-25 dollars each, I don't know what kids’ prices are. If you are going to take your own unguided walk I would suggest heading South on Bay st after visiting the City Market. Leave from the east end of the Market, the back end, (it will be obvious which end is the back) and walk toward the Riverfront Park. The park and surrounding area has fountains to play in and some ice cream shops, vendors and other things to interest a 6 year old. There might also be some interesting ship traffic on the river. One of the cruise lines docks their ship there. Keep heading South down Bay st. You will pass the famous Rainbow Row and the other famous Charleston houses along the Battery. Your son might have fun looking for Water street, which used to be a canal and still has the boat tie ups along the curb. Also look for tiny Stroll’s Alley. Stroll’s alley is only a few feet wide, but it is a public walkway and I think any 6 year old would find exploring it interesting and fun. I think his parents would too. After walking several blocks down Bay st. you will come to Whitepoint Garden where back in the day they buried convicted pirates below the water line. You can see Fort Sumter out in the harbor and you can get you picture with a cannon. Then you can follow Meeting street back to the front end of the City market. A side trip down any of the streets along this route will treat you to beautiful Charleston architecture and unique graveyards. Your son might find it interesting that the intersection of Meeting and Broad streets is called the Four corners of the Law. City, County, Federal offices occupy three corners and St Michaels Church occupies the fourth. Once you leave the waterfront park there will be no place to buy a drink and no restroom is available along this route, so plan ahead.

If you are interested in History then of course, Fort Sumter is the place to go. The required harbor cruise makes it an adventure. The only problem I have with the Fort Sumter visit is that they only give you and hour to visit the fort before the boat leaves. That is probably enough for most people, but if you want to take more time, you have to wait for the next boat, which may require you to stay on the island around 3 hours. Fort Moltrie is also close by on Sullivan’s island, and I think I remember the admission was nominal last time I was there, but doesn't require the boat ride, which isn't as much fun, in my view.

Well, that was a lot.
I hope it wasn't too much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, Bill! It's so good to see you back on the board! Thanks for your contribution to the topic!

:love1:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:20 pm 

Thanks for all those great tips. They will really come in handy. We have Jestines Kitchen on our list of places to eat, as a matter of fact and also had thought about seeing the Angel Oak tree and definitely White Point Gardens as well. With another snow storm(small one) heading here tomorrow, I really can't wait for vacation!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:41 pm 

There's a small restaurant behind the Market called Another Broken Egg that is an inexpensive place that serves a great breakfast. Our favorite plantation in the Charleston area is Boone Hall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:37 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
I take my children(11 & 3) out in Charleston quite often some of the places they love:

Hominy Grill:
A great representation of Southern food and very welcoming of kids. Don't miss the tomato pudding and desserts. Or the fried chicken, or the shrimp and grits, or we'll just about anything.

My kids have been to Husk for lunch. It is delicious. I am a Sean Brock groupie though. Lol

Pages okra grill is a fun, inexpensive dining option. I love the chicken livers but the shrimp & grits is good. Oh and the crab cakes too.

Jacks cosmic dogs.
Blue cheese slaw and sweet potato mustard. Enough said

See wee is a favorite. The food is outstanding. Always check the specials. I love the whole friend fish and oysters, my oldest loves the occasional special of black and bleu shrimp. And take desserts with you if you are full. I love the coconut cake! (Also out that way is the Birds of Prey. ..
My boys really liked this! )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your suggestions, Laura. We had dinner not long ago at Hominy Grill due to a review Wally read somewhere. It was easy to find and the food and service were both very good.