Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:44 pm 

I know the tent police are out and won't allow tents, and the umbrella nazi's are in full force and won't let people put umbrellas up in front of the city owned umbrellas, but, I wondered where all these bans were in place. I know North Myrtle and Myrtle they are not allowed, but what about Cherry Grove?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:24 am 

If I'm not mistaken, Cherry Grove is considered part of the North Myrtle Beach municipality thus the same laws apply. Horry County as a whole has eliminated the usage of canopies/tents on the beach (thank God). You'd have to be in Georgetown County if you want a shading device other than an umbrella.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:17 am 
Site Admin

As far as I know, Huntington Beach State Park (as well as other Georgetown County locations) still allows tents.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:03 am 

phroggy wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, Cherry Grove is considered part of the North Myrtle Beach municipality thus the same laws apply. Horry County as a whole has eliminated the usage of canopies/tents on the beach (thank God). You'd have to be in Georgetown County if you want a shading device other than an umbrella.

phroggy, why do like the banning of people using canopies or tents? I never used one myself, but I never had an issue with other people using them. The umbrella issue is a problem for me. I don't like that you can't put up an umbrella in front of the rented umbrella and chair line. I feel that if they keep this up, one day they might outlaw people putting chairs up in front of the rented umbrellas and chairs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:28 am 

Take a look at this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 am 

myrtle beachcomber wrote:
Take a look at this thread.

I didn't see a link

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:05 am 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14416&hilit=tent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:36 pm 

Thanks for the link myrtle beachcomber. I have to say, after reading some posts, I can see the point of too many people using tents on the beach and not leaving much room, if any at all, for people arriving later in the day. I'm sure it can get out of hand, and probably has in many cases, but I can honestly say that I've never noticed it to be at the point there was no room at all on the beach.

I just don't like the idea of now allowing umbrellas in front of the rented beach chairs. I don't use or never would use a canopy, as an umbrella is enough for me, but for the people that do require them, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping them on the beach as long as they were always behind the rented beach chairs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:49 pm 

I have no problem with them banning umbrellas right in front of the rented umbrellas. If it's a significant amount in front of them then OK. My wife can't take too much of the sun, but she loves sitting under the umbrella, hearing the ocean and reading all day long. It's very aggravating to walk out to your umbrella and find that someone has pitched theirs 15 feet in front of the one you rented. Just my two cents...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:44 pm 

Herdman wrote:
I have no problem with them banning umbrellas right in front of the rented umbrellas. If it's a significant amount in front of them then OK. My wife can't take too much of the sun, but she loves sitting under the umbrella, hearing the ocean and reading all day long. It's very aggravating to walk out to your umbrella and find that someone has pitched theirs 15 feet in front of the one you rented. Just my two cents...

I understand your point, and we're all entitled to our opinions, but renting a beach umbrella at $40 per day is just too pricey for the majority of people going to the beach. When I go to the beach, I usually go TO the beach every day I'm there. If I go to the beach for four days, I'm usually ON the beach for four days. That makes an additional $160 for my beach trip. I have been going to beaches in NC, SC, and Florida for years, and to me, if that's where people want to go for vacation, then people should deal with the crowds. We have always done that and never been bothered. If we didn't want people in front of us, we got up closer to the water. If we didn't like crowds, we would stay at a less crowded resort. Myrtle Beach is a big beach. If you stay in a major resort, it's going to be crowded.

Let me ask you this; if you rented an umbrella, would you be as upset if someone dropped their beach chairs 15 feet in front of the one you rented?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:07 am 

It's all about our view of the ocean being obstructed. Beach chairs don't typically do that, but umbrellas do. And yes, we go for a week, and we spend every day on the beach. Our daughter will go to the pool some, but my wife and I spend pretty much the entire week on the beach. I understand your cost concerns. Everyone has a different budget that they are working off of. We just build the umbrella cost into ours. We prefer not having to deal with the hassle of putting it up and down everyday, and I've seen far too many umbrellas hurtling down the beach because people don't have the proper tools to get it anchored securely in the sand.

I typically run down to the beach when I get up and place our chairs 6-8 feet in front of our umbrella to try and protect some of the space right in front of us. We've never had anyone move our chairs so that helps some. Regardless of where people put their umbrellas it doesn't ruin our time there at all. I'm at the beach so no worries.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:23 pm 

Herdman wrote:
It's all about our view of the ocean being obstructed. Beach chairs don't typically do that, but umbrellas do. And yes, we go for a week, and we spend every day on the beach. Our daughter will go to the pool some, but my wife and I spend pretty much the entire week on the beach. I understand your cost concerns. Everyone has a different budget that they are working off of. We just build the umbrella cost into ours. We prefer not having to deal with the hassle of putting it up and down everyday, and I've seen far too many umbrellas hurtling down the beach because people don't have the proper tools to get it anchored securely in the sand.

I typically run down to the beach when I get up and place our chairs 6-8 feet in front of our umbrella to try and protect some of the space right in front of us. We've never had anyone move our chairs so that helps some. Regardless of where people put their umbrellas it doesn't ruin our time there at all. I'm at the beach so no worries.

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from. It can be a hassle to take chairs and umbrellas back and forth when they can just be there all day for you. The only issues I really have is that they are costly at $40 per day. $20 per day would be something I would probably go with, and that if you aren't there first thing in the morning, they may not have any chairs available left to rent.

I've been there before on a short weekend when we drove my convertible 370Z down. The trunk is so small that we couldn't take an umbrella and chairs, so we figured we could rent them for 2 days. The trouble is, we had a very late night of fun and didn't get to the beach until about 11 am the next morning and there were no chairs left to rent. We were stuck without. We went out and bought some cheap chairs from Eagles, but had to keep finding a place for a beer and some relief from the sun more often.

Like you said though, we were at the beach, so we made the best of it. I was great just getting that quick weekend at the beach!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:52 pm 

Absolutely! One thing we do - we just rent the umbrella, not the chairs. We travel with our own beach chairs that we use also down by the water. This knocks about $10 off per day if my memory serves me correctly. One thing you might consider if you want to think about renting an umbrella on one of your trips.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:46 am 

Herdman wrote:
Absolutely! One thing we do - we just rent the umbrella, not the chairs. We travel with our own beach chairs that we use also down by the water. This knocks about $10 off per day if my memory serves me correctly. One thing you might consider if you want to think about renting an umbrella on one of your trips.

Great advice, Herdman. Thanks for the post!