Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:27 pm 

I live 3.5 hours away and come down to Myrtle Beach about 2-3 times each summer for long weekends, 3-4 nights typically. This year, we can't get off until July 2 and want to come down for the weekend, but no where I have found will rent a hotel room for 3 nights, Thursday the 2nd through Sunday the 5th, but I've been told that I could call the night before to see if there are any vacancies. A couple hotels I called said they may have something available then, but couldn't book for 3 nights too much ahead of that week. I understand it, but have a question to regulars of this forum.

Do you typically see many of the better beach front hotels with any vacancies over the 4th? I never really paid attention, but I was in Myrtle over the 4th in 2012 and 2014. I'm sure some hotels across the street will have some vacancies, but we would rather stay beach front, or at the least, a place like Aqua Beach across from the Skywheel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:48 pm 

Most hotels/resorts will rent for a week only (typically Sat. to Sat), especially around the 4th. July 4th is probably the busiest time in MB. You may be able to find something the day before your arrival, but places will fill up fast since it is prime season. If you can get something close, go for it. Better to have a room waiting for you in something close to where you want than nothing at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:40 pm 

I've been in different times of the summer and even though July 4th week is a busy week, I haven't noticed that it's all that much busier than most weeks during the summer. Even last year I thought it would have been more crowded than it actually was. I'm going to bet there will be some hotels that have vacancies for those days, but only time will tell.

I will follow up my findings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:22 am 
Site Admin

Sometimes individually owned condos will have openings. Check with VRBO:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/us ... rtle-beach

Also try TravelZoo.

http://www.travelzoo.com/search/?q=Myrt ... ode_type=t

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:27 pm 

I had this very same problem last year. I did happen to find a few hotels that would rent for a few days over the 4th holiday, but the rates were unreal. Some were like triple the normal rate. I just couldn't do it. Crazy! We ended up renting a two bedroom villa at The Legends golf course that was less than half the price. It fit our needs for a few days until our condo was available. We actually plan to do it again next year for a few extra days since it was so cheap. If this doesn't fit your needs I would search VRBO. You just might luck up and find a great deal through an owner that wants to rent for the week. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:30 am 

Some summers are busier than others. This appears to be a busy summer. We booked our room at the Breakers for this week on Black Friday in November, and we're glad we did, because when I checked back for better rates again in February, we noticed that every room type was at least partially booked for this week. Obviously the more booked they are, they will be less willing to negotiate. You'll probably have to wait until the beginning of that "required week" has passed to find vacancies for shorter stays.

Breakers June 2014
Breakers June 2013
Breakers June 2012
Breakers June 2011
Breakers August 2010
Grand Atlantic June 2010
Breakers June 2009
Breakers June 2008

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:45 am 

I actually lucked up and got a room at Holiday Sands North on the Boardwalk. Only two issues, and not deal breakers; the room is a street view room, and the construction going on in the ocean is right in front of the hotel. However, I got 3 nights for $400, which is a pretty good deal. We will just walk out and up the beach a little bit to get away from all the construction. Kind of bad timing for the city to plan all that work during the summer tourist season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 am 

That is a good deal! All that matters is you will be at the beach! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:58 pm 

Have a great trip!