Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:07 am 

So much in the news these days with shootings in Myrtle Beach and now the latest in Charleston. Should we be nervous as tourists?

Of course I know that you really need to be careful in any of your surroundings but these things really make me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am 

I agree that it has become a concern, but let's hope since
It is so popular it has adequate protection during prime tourist season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Scroll down to Crime Q & A:
http://funbeaches.com/crime.html

We have lived here 17 years and have never experienced any crime-related activity. Hope other locals will chime in her and relate your experiences/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:56 pm 

How does a racist nutjob opening fire in a church in Charleston effect your safety in Myrtle Beach? There is not even the most remote connection. The shooting at the Landmark last year could happen in any hotel in America....and sometimes does. I don't think there are many people who would view visiting Myrtle Beach as a high risk activity. Now if you are looking for a high risk activity, get in your car and start driving. You are far more likely to be involved in a fatal automobile accident thatn you are of being shot in Myrtle Beach.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:04 pm 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
We've lived here since 2008 and have never experienced any crime-related activity. Not even remotely.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:15 pm 

We've been coming to MB for 10 years and never once felt unsafe. Even walking on the strip with our boys in the evening. The media is sensationalizing everything big time!

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:18 pm 

Sadly, the society with live in has to sensationalize everything. Social Media has become the new mainstream media and it's scary. Every incident is picked apart and reported to no end. Even after happening months ago, they still report on it. MB has been safe for my family. We have been coming to MB for years without any incident.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:57 pm 

Myrtle Beach was our vacation spot every year for 17 years. We bought a house here in Surfside Beach two years ago and retired here one year ago. (boy that time went quick ) We have never had anything happen or felt unsafe. Well ... there are a few restaurants that I feel I was ripped off by.

Are there places along the Grand Strand that I wouldn't go near ? Sure, a couple ! But there are places in most cities that have areas like that. The Grand Strand is 60 miles long, so it is like a big city and has some of the same problems as other cities.

But I don't feel unsafe or that it is something to worry about. Hundreds of thousands of people vacation here each year with no problem. Newspapers don't write about that.

So come down and relax, have fun, tan, see a show (Pirates Voyage is my favorite) , gain weight and make plans for next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:32 pm 

Oh yeah. We have been coming for 35 years. Never had an issue. My question mostly sparks from someone that my friend knows who lives a few hours away from Myrtle beach and said it was very dangerous. I have never gotten that impression though.

We do have teens and I just want to make sure it is okay for them to walk alone down the strip or on the beach.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:30 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
Beach~Belle wrote:
... I just want to make sure it is okay for them to walk alone down the strip or on the beach.

I would never dare to say it is okay for your teens to walk alone EVERYWHERE down the strip or on the beach at ALL THE TIME.
I love living here, BUT I would not walk alone at night in specific areas of Myrtle Beach. Just as any place in the world, Myrtle Beach has its "not so safe" areas, and one has to use their judgement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:58 am 

For the most part, I do not see MB as being unsafe, but I have seen several stories of teens that went missing walking in the downtown areas of MB. I probably wouldn't let my teen walk alone, but that's just me!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:38 pm 

Couple of years ago Barb and I were walking on Ocean Bl at night between Gay Dolphin and Ripleys. A couple of guys were harassing us when we walked on the Ripleys side but never had any trouble on the Dolphin side. We still go back, just stay on the safe side of the street. ;)

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:58 pm 

Those of you that know me know Myrtle Beach is where my heart is and I would move there in a heartbeat. With that being said a few years ago we visited in the fall and stayed just south of 2nd Ave Pier. I have to admit there were times during that trip that I felt uneasy. We saw many old run down hotels with people living in them and they were not the type of folks you want your family hanging out with. We encountered an intoxicated lady in the middle of the street trying to hit cars with a tree branch and we also saw many questionable teenagers walking the streets at night. Would this ever keep me from coming to Myrtle Beach....NO! However, I think I will stick with my stomping grounds in North Myrtle. It is much cleaner and in the 40 years (wow I am old :roll: ) we have been coming to North Myrtle we have never encountered issues like I saw that fall. So, yes there are places we need to be educated about and hopefully the city will continue to clean these areas up. For the most part I feel Myrtle Beach is a wonderfully safe place for family vacations.