Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nacho Hippo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:18 pm 

CptTrips wrote:
My wife and I have been here a couple times and they have a gluten free menu on request. My wife gave this place high marks because it is hard for her to eat out. I cannot recall what was on it as I ordered off the regular menu. I want to say she had chicken fajitas with corn wraps. The chips are corn but not glutten free as they share a fryer with other items. They were very accommodating both times we visited by giving her corn wraps to eat our guacamole dip with which is very good.

I was not aware they had a GF menu! Unfortunatley for someone like with Celiac, I can't eat GF foods that are fried with items that are not GF. Cross contamination like that still makes me sick!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & Finally 2019!!

Post subject: New Nacho Hippo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:05 pm 

According to my sister and my parents, a new Nacho Hippo is opening in North Myrtle Beach across from Barefoot Landing. This is all news to me but it is indeed great news!

Post subject: Re: New Nacho Hippo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

That's good news, phroggy! Thanks for sharing!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 am 

Any idea when this is opening?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:05 pm 

Apparently it'll be open yet this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 pm 

That is great news! Where are they putting it across from Barefoot?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:28 am 

It's on the same road that leads back to the North beach Plantation I believe. Don't quote me on that though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:26 am 

This is great news! We like Nacho Hippo and to have one so close makes it easier to frequent. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:31 pm 

Phroggy,

That is my street. Works great for me!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:22 pm 

It's either not open yet or we couldn't find it . We tried the original and have to say we most likely won't be back. We had a party of eight so expected to wait awhile, which we did - an hour and five minutes. That was not the problem - all of the empty table in the place were. At one time we counted ten empty tables of various sizes.

There was a young girl who looked like she was being trained as the seating hostess, but the guy doing the training obviously didn't have a clue on how to do it. We were actually looking forward to this place but ended up quite disappointed waiting that long for a table, especially with no air conditioning. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:07 pm 

Drove by it last night and it looks to be a while before they open. It is located right behind the McDonalds across from Barefoot Landing. Right across from Hamburger Joes.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 am 

If you happen to fly to MB - Nacho Hippo at the airport does serve breakfast for those morning departures. Price-wise, it isn't Harry's Breakfast Pancakes, but it was good and there was plenty on my plate! We had great service too.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:30 am 

So we tried Nacho Hippo near Barefoot Landing, near 48th ave south. Actually, the first night we pulled in there, we had to keep circling to even find a parking place. The place was packed. It looks huge from the outside, but when we finally got a space and walked up to the building, it's not very big at all. In fact, it's a really strange set up. The whole place is open to the outside, most space is under cover with garage style doors that were open all the way around. The rest is patio seating with umbrellas. Since a storm was rolling in and the wait was over an hour, we didn't stay. Not sure how they all stayed dry as the skies opened up about 20 minutes later.
We went back later in the week and decided to try it out. Again, the set up is so strange. The kitchen is actually detached from the rest of the building. Servers and food runners have to traverse outdoors, past the restrooms and with only a small overhang to deliver food. Again, I have no idea how they pull this off in bad weather. We had a group of 8 so expected a long wait. We were told it would be an hour an a half, so we got some drinks and snagged some chairs to wait. It was only about 45 minutes and we were seated on the patio. There was a DJ out there right next to us so it was loud, but a fun atmosphere. Kids loved it. Our waitress was fantastic. They do have a kids menu which was a surprise. I can't even remember the name of the nachos I got, but the were absolutely freaking fantastic!! Had chili, ground beef AND chicken and all of the fixings. I could have licked the plate if it weren't for the bucket drink I had already consumed. As a group we had quesadillas, two different types of nachos, one with chicken, one without, queso, chicken fingers and some kind of taco. All of it was delicious. Our awesome waitress had warned us the kitchen was slammed, but she made sure the kids food came out quickly, and it was literally 10 minutes and the kids were eating. Ours wasn't far behind and we all really enjoyed it.
Overall, the food and atmosphere are great. The building design makes me scratch my head. On top of the weird kitchen location, the garbage dumpsters are located between the kitchen and the dining area and it is all open. The smell was wafting right out into the waiting area. It was 100 degrees that day, so to say the least, the smell did not do much for our appetites.
We will absolutely go back, but only on a nice day. Can't fathom how they pull off rainy weather. Also it gets pretty steamy on that patio, luckily we had a nice breeze.