Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:01 pm 
Forum Support

I have been tasked with finding a hotel to stay at when we come down in April/May. We have stayed around 71st street several times and we love the area. Only problem is, the family hasn't liked the hotels. We have stayed at Long Bay, Ocean Reef and monterey Bay. Nothing really wrong with them, but we just want to try something different I guess.

So here I am asking for everyones help. Where do you stay and what is in walking distance for good food? On our lazy beach it days, we just like to walk to grab something to eat. Thats why I loved staying around 71st with River City, a Mexican restaurant and a Starbucks so close.

Need suggestions as I am going batty searching google maps. :bounce:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:40 pm 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
Have you tried The Caravelle Resort, in the same area? It is at the corner of 69th Avenue N. and Ocean Boulevard. Our friend from Montreal spent a week there last October and he loved it.
He went a few times to the Mariners on North Ocean Boulevard, corner of 70th, for a quick lunch and enjoyed it.
Speaking of that area ... it has more restaurants than you mention, if you just walk up to 17th Business (North Kings Hwy).
At walking distance, there is The Outback, Kaminski (best sandwiches ever), Flamingo Grill, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Bonefish Grill, Appleby's, TGIF ... and more! If you want to grab a quick healthy bite, there is a Subway in the small strip mall corner of 79th and North Kings Hwy. It is nice, clean and affordable. :lol:
In the same strip mall, there is also Collector's Cafe, which is higher end. Look around, there are a lot of places to eat at a walking distance, out there! That same strip mall also has a pharmacy, which is very convenient.
Right in front of the strip mall, on the West side of North Kings Hwy, there is a Food Lion and a Fresh Market. I walk there a few times a week. Very convenient.
We live on 75th, a few steps west of Ocean Boulevard and tried most of the restaurants I named. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:28 pm 
Forum Support

Nope we have never stayed at The Caravelle Resort. After you mentioned it, I did some research on it and the rest of the family like what they had to offer. I was thinking about The Caravelle, but was looking into other options as well (to appease the rest of the family!). It does look newer then the other places we stayed at, so fingers crossed we book there. Like I said, I love the area. Plus after reading your post, I love the area even more! :lol: So many options and some I didn't even realize were so close!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
I was happy to help. We love this area. Everything is so close, and yet, it is relatively quiet. Enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 pm 

Since you're coming down before the major summer crowds, have you considered staying more "downtown" like the Caribbean or Breakers ? The Caribbean is top-notch and the Breaker's Paradise Tower is similar and very close to all the great restaurants/attractions near the Boardwalk.

Sometimes you need to shake it up, at least for one year :nanner:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:36 pm 
Forum Support

Gee thanks Kirk! Kidding aside, this is how the discussion started in the family. Its probably not so much that the hotels we have stayed at were not great, but the rest of the family wanting to change. While I am stuck in the comforts and familiarity of the northern area.

Maybe I just need to stop fighting this and shake it up. Otherwise we might be having a miserable vacation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:14 pm 

We were also looking for a change, so we tried Compass Cove this past spring. I really, really liked that resort. Wonderful staff. We'll be back at Monterey Bay this summer, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Compass Cove.

Scott