Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015 rates
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:29 pm 

Oh my goodness. Places are staring to list their 2015 rates. Talk about sticker shock!!!! The same room we stayed in last year at Compass Cove (last year was around $1400 for the week.) This year, it is running more than $1900 for the same week. And that is supposedly with a 30% discount. Whew, could be a rough time for many this year. Def won't be heading back there. We liked it, but nowhere near enough to spend $2000 for one week. Time to start looking for more budget friendly accommodations!! :sad:

Post subject: Re: 2015 rates
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:16 am 

Something has to be wrong, or else we won't ever be coming on vacation again.

2011 stayed at the Dayton House 5 days. Early June 30% off was $670 I think.

2013 Dayton House 6 days. Again Early June 30% off was $1150.

2015 Dayton House 6 days. Early June 30% off, $2600!

It was nice the 2 times we got to take a family vacation....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:30 am 

^^^ I know. I could not believe what I was seeing last night. We checked several places, all were unbelievably high. We used to budget $700 for the hotel when we took our first trip in 2001. We conceded around 2005 that we had to up that budget. Last year was a huge stretch for us at $1400, but wanted to try Compass Cove. I am sorry, but there is no hotel room that is worth $2000 for a one week vacation. We come for the beach, we want a clean, safe room. I don't think that is too much to ask. That being said, we did find some rooms that were a little more reasonable. Landmark, Captain's Quarters, all had rooms under $1000 for interior, no view rooms. We stayed in one of those rooms 5 years ago and paid a little more than $600 for the week. We had moved away from the Landmark as the resort itself needs some serious updating. I know you get what you pay for, but good grief. Something will have to give or I am afraid we won't be making our annual trek much longer. I know that you can stay at places not on the ocean front for less, (St. John's Inn, operated by Caravelle has rooms for $900, which is still crazy for being across the street from the ocean.) However, we come to the beach to stay on the beach, to think that we can't do that for less than $1200 is insane.
We have come down the same week every year for 14 years, the last full week of June. We have stayed at Landmark, Coral Beach, Caravelle and Compass Cove. Our honeymoon in 2002 we "splurged" and stayed at Coral Beach and paid $1000 for the week. Landmark has always ran us anywhere from around $600 to $900. Caravelle we used VRBO and spent $1100, but my mom went with us and we had a huge room and split the cost with her. Compass Cove last year ran us right around $1400. It was nice, but not any nicer than Caravelle, and that same room for 2015 is listed for $2000. No thank you. Best rate we found so far for 2015 was at Landmark and Captain's Quarters, both for interior, no view rooms, small fridge and microwave, 2 double beds, no living area, for $980. Crazy.

Ok, rant over, sorry everyone. I expected rates to be slightly higher, but nothing could have prepared me for what we were seeing!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:33 pm 

I know that Sandcastle South South Myrtle Beach has a special that if you book now for a 2015 vacation you get 50% off your room . Its not the fanciest place ,but is ocean front and clean.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 pm 

Pretty soon everyone will just have to stay at home. I got my first raise in 5 years this year and by the time they increased my responsibility in the retirement contribution it ended up being a whopping $8 raise every two weeks ($192 on the year) :BandHead: . Kentucky Utilities is asking for a 10 percent rate increase for electricity next summer, so that will take all of the raise and more. My natural gas bill went up by $23 a month, so that's almost $300 a year extra. Where do they think that people are getting this extra money to pay for these increases? These are all necessities that you have no choice but to pay. I guess they think that since gas has went down a little this month that people will take those savings and put toward a room. Hopefully the hotels will panic when people don't book rooms and have to lower the rates. This may be one of the years that it will be better to book last minute.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:46 am 

That's kind of what I am hoping. Maybe they are posting the higher rack rates so that their cyber monday deals look better. I don't know, we don't usually book until after we get the tax returns back. We will just have to wait and see what the rates do. I checked the Sandcastle deal mentioned above, they have rooms for around $900, and that is supposed to be the 50% off special. So if you don't book in November, that same room will be $1800.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:46 pm 

Yesterday I stated $2600 for 6 days (specifically June 6-12, Saturday to Friday.) Looking on it again today and it is now saying a more reasonable $1300 with 30% off.

So, something was amiss yesterday, for the Dayton House at least.

I was loading it up again to get a screen shot and compare to booking closer to spring time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:14 pm 
Forum Support

I saw on the news the other night how you should use multiple browsers, computers and even have a friend check out hotel prices, airfare, etc because the prices can all be different depending on the situation.

I couldn't find a recent link about this, but will include two from the USA Today in 2013.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/co ... y/2021993/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/co ... s/2121981/

Something to consider when prices change. Might be good to private browse when you are searching.