All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What type of ocean/beach do you prefer?
East coast/bigger waves/darker sand&water 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Gulf coast/calm water/crystal clear water 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Rocky coastline (like Maine, etc) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other or undecided 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:12 am 

So this year I had the pleasure of visiting florida's gulf coast and also myrtle beach. In Florida, it was a semi-private beach with pearl white sands and crystal clear water. The waves were very gentle and it was a very relaxed, beautiful setting. I really loved it. The water was so comfortably warm and relaxing. I have never seen clear waters before on a beach. The only beach I really had experience with until then was myrtle.

I was in myrtle this week and I am now able to see the pros and cons of both settings. At myrtle, you have a little more excitement. I very much enjoy being in the ocean and fighting the waves, especially at high tide. But I also enjoyed bobbing in the tropical paradise of Florida.

I know this discussion is going to be heavily biased toward myrtle beach but I thought it would be fun to discuss your experiences at different types of beaches. If someone held a gun to my head and told me to pick one, I have no idea what I would say. I would probably prefer to live in sc, simply because of the moderate weather, but that perfect paradise clear ocean is nagging me too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:41 am 

Having family on the gulf coast of FL, we've been spoiled by the beaches of Sanible Island and Naples FL. We love the calm warm water that you can see straight down. However, flights have gone up so much that we haven't made it down in some time. We are fairly new to coming to Myrtle Beach and enjoying the warmer water here but I have to say, having vacationed in the Outer Banks of NC most of my life , I also really love the fall there ,when the weather is cooler and the waves get really stirred up and the sky is grey with a mist in the air- it is very romantic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:45 pm 

Can't really vote since I've only ever been to beaches on the Atlantic, Ocean City and Myrtle Beach to be more exact.

We want to experience the warm and clear waters, but my thought are, we would miss the sound. Sitting up on the balcony listening to the constant waves crashing in before heading to bed is one of the best things about going to the beach.